What wheels and tires for hills? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What wheels and tires for hills?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
PipelayerOceani
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What wheels and tires for hills?

I'm trying to trade out my current tires for bigger ones in order to gain more traction and lift, but in order to do so I think I am going to have to get different wheels so that they won't rub. Currently have 28X9.5s and have trouble with loosing grip on muddy hills and sliding back down, plus they rub with stock wheels. I was wondering if getting 31X12.5s or whether taller narrower tires would be better. Also any help with wheels (material, good brands, with, diameter, bead locked?) would be extremely helpful because I know nothing about them. Also would a 4cyl with 4:11 be able to pull tires that wide. Thanks in advance

PipelayerOceani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

What exactly is the jeep used for?
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
PipelayerOceani
1995 YJ Wrangler 

mainly mud, but I have taken it to the mountains a couple of times.
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

maybe a mud tire instead? the goodyear duratrac is badass in the mud. i had 31s on a lifter cherokee and only got stuck once when i got hooked on something in a large hole.
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Interco makes a wide bogger in 31". May be worth looking into
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I agree a bogger would be your best bet. But boggers take a lot of power to spin. You may have to go slower uo the hills to grab a lower gear to keep the rpms up
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Mud tires are good for deep mud, but suck on hard surfaces with a slick topping. An All Terrain is better in that situation. Just last weekend we had 50 Jeeps on some private land and to a Jeep, every vehicle with MT's slid back down a hill that was slick, but firm. Almost every AT equipped Jeep made it right up. The AT has more tread on the ground than an MT, but an MT will clear mud from its tread faster than an AT will.

Personally I'm running 31x10.5 AT's and only get stuck in axle deep mud. Other than that, they're good on trails, slick mud and rocks.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject
Mud tires are good for deep mud, but suck on hard surfaces with a slick topping. An All Terrain is better in that situation. Just last weekend we had 50 Jeeps on some private land and to a Jeep, every vehicle with MT's slid back down a hill that was slick, but firm. Almost every AT equipped Jeep made it right up. The AT has more tread on the ground than an MT, but an MT will clear mud from its tread faster than an AT will.

Personally I'm running 31x10.5 AT's and only get stuck in axle deep mud. Other than that, they're good on trails, slick mud and rocks.
This. I don't have any problems with my hankooks in the slick clay type mud some of our roads turn to during the winter. I've even been able to get around in 2wd some times.
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sometimes you need some meat to get up a hill. I was the only one that made it up this one on the first try.

The hill behind is actually slightly downhill not uphill...
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
PipelayerOceani
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm thinking AT 31X10.5s would be best for a more all around use. Seeing as from what I've heard boggers give horrible on road feel. But what should I do about the wheels, does anyone know backspacing or with required to fit these tires, and perhaps even a place to purchase them cheap (I'm thinking in black but they really just have to be functional not gorgeous) thanks in advance again
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #11
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Backspacing is going to depend on how far out you want your tires to stick. A 3.25-3.5" backspacing will keep your tires from rubbing your springs at full lock. As for where and how much, 15" black "soft 8" or "d window" style steel rims can be had at multiple locations for around $50-60 a rim. The OEM rims I'm running do rub at full lock, but it's really not that often that I'm at full lock.

This is how mine look with 31x10.5's

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
PipelayerOceani
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
Backspacing is going to depend on how far out you want your tires to stick. A 3.25-3.5" backspacing will keep your tires from rubbing your springs at full lock. As for where and how much, 15" black "soft 8" or "d window" style steel rims can be had at multiple locations for around $50-60 a rim. The OEM rims I'm running do rub at full lock, but it's really not that often that I'm at full lock.

This is how mine look with 31x10.5's

Yeah, I really like the D windows but can only find 4in backspacing so I guess that would work cause they would on rub at full lock.
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The d windows I am running in the pic above don't allow the tires to rub the springs at full lock and I have the stock adjustments on the steering stops. If you end up rubbing, put a washer behind this:

Unread 08-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #14
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My procomp D windows have 2.5" of back spacing an I can guarantee you that I do not rub on my leafs.. One bit

Sent from Peggy's office
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
PipelayerOceani
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So that would just let my wheels turn a little less? And AmmitOsiris do you remember where you bought them and about what they costed cause I've only been able to find 4in backspacing d windows on Morris.

Tags
mud , tires , traction , wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.