what trans can i install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what trans can i install

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

what trans can i install

welp....the trans finally went....hopefully this is the final repair frontier for this pig....cuz im ready to send it to the glue factory.

its a 91 yj with the blazing 2.5 and 5 speed manual and 5th gear syncros are shot. it will go into fifth but i can hear it grinding all the way down the road.
if i decide to keep it (which aint lookin so good rite now) i want to put in a heavier duty trans than what it came with, so.....

which transmissions can i put in with out too many modifications?

riverhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
CJ51973
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

AX15 (4.0L) is common. Do some searching here. Don't sell your Jeep (did it once, still miss the old CJ), look at it as improving.
Unread 08-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The AX15 will take some modification to work, but is a stout trans. Of course I'd swap the 4.0 in at the same time, but that's me.
Unread 08-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ51973 View Post
AX15 (4.0L) is common. Do some searching here. Don't sell your Jeep (did it once, still miss the old CJ), look at it as improving.
thanks...other than the ax's nv3550 or nv3500? if i sell it id get a newer one...cant be with out a jeep bro
Unread 08-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhippy

thanks...other than the ax's nv3550 or nv3500? if i sell it id get a newer one...cant be with out a jeep bro
to much crome, to much plastic, to much electronic issues.
crome won't get u home bro.

u hear about the guy with arctic addition that the door caught on fire for no apparent reason?

keep the yj.
the less electronics the better IMO
rodgers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looking at writeups in the FAQ is helpful, there is a ton of info on here and it will help you decide. You could also choose to rebuild your AX5, or replace it with a reman unit.

AX 15: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/2...mplete-659386/

NV3550: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n...irrels-752742/

If you're hearing grinding in 5th gear while it's engaged and being driven, it is unlikely that your issue is as simple as a 5th gear synchro. You've likely munched up gears, like driven 5th and countershaft 5th, and it isn't as simple as the broken snap ring issue either since you've still got power going to the wheels.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

thanks Opi. im a slow learner, what does this mean? "If you're hearing grinding in 5th gear while it's engaged and being driven, it is unlikely that your issue is as simple as a 5th gear synchro. You've likely munched up gears, like driven 5th and countershaft 5th, and it isn't as simple as the broken snap ring issue either since you've still got power going to the wheels." Am i gonna need to do more than replace the trans?
Unread 09-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, what happens with the snap ring is that the 5th gear slides back on the shaft and no longer meshes with its partner. You go to 5th, and it acts as if it is in neutral. If you are shifting into 5th okay without it grinding in the shift, it is not at all likely that your synchro is the problem at all. Since you get into 5th but then it grinds and that is the only time it grinds, then there is something bad in the meshing of the gears and likely there is a certain amount of gear carnage involved there. Of course with me not being there to hear it myself, there is a lot of conjecture loosed on my part, but that's how I diagnose it based on what I hear from you.
Pull off your T case, pull the rear case of your transmission, and have a look at 5th gear(s) and see what it looks like. If you drain your trans and do not get much in the way of metal chunks, don't be too surprised, it could still be there and just fell in the bottom of the rear case and didn't make it into the front case half where the drain is.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 09-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Well, what happens with the snap ring is that the 5th gear slides back on the shaft and no longer meshes with its partner. You go to 5th, and it acts as if it is in neutral. If you are shifting into 5th okay without it grinding in the shift, it is not at all likely that your synchro is the problem at all. Since you get into 5th but then it grinds and that is the only time it grinds, then there is something bad in the meshing of the gears and likely there is a certain amount of gear carnage involved there. Of course with me not being there to hear it myself, there is a lot of conjecture loosed on my part, but that's how I diagnose it based on what I hear from you.
Pull off your T case, pull the rear case of your transmission, and have a look at 5th gear(s) and see what it looks like. If you drain your trans and do not get much in the way of metal chunks, don't be too surprised, it could still be there and just fell in the bottom of the rear case and didn't make it into the front case half where the drain is.
im looking for a trans now, should i be looking for a transfer case as well?
Unread 09-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not unless your T case is broken as well. If there is no indication that you have any issues with your T case, swapping in a replacement AX5 should be all you need to do. Of course since you're going to have the tranny etc off, it's a good time to consider doing the clutch, etc while you have it off, and of course whatever else you can think of.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph_rapture View Post
The AX15 will take some modification to work, but is a stout trans. Of course I'd swap the 4.0 in at the same time, but that's me.
AX-15 takes very little "modification" to swap in, and any modification required is bolt-in.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
AX-15 takes very little "modification" to swap in, and any modification required is bolt-in.
Swapping input shafts counts as modification in my book. Certainly drilling the TC to clock it if he replaces it with one from a Cherokee.

Tags
bigboobslittlelegs , butthurt® , hot girl with tat , smorr , titties dawg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.