what trans can i install - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-23-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
riverhippy
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: pic is my girlfriend/fiancee
Posts: 265
what trans can i install

welp....the trans finally went....hopefully this is the final repair frontier for this pig....cuz im ready to send it to the glue factory.


its a 91 yj with the blazing 2.5 and 5 speed manual and 5th gear syncros are shot. it will go into fifth but i can hear it grinding all the way down the road.
if i decide to keep it (which aint lookin so good rite now) i want to put in a heavier duty trans than what it came with, so.....

which transmissions can i put in with out too many modifications?

riverhippy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 08-23-2012, 11:59 AM
CJ51973
Registered User
 
CJ51973's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Versailles
Posts: 2,336
AX15 (4.0L) is common. Do some searching here. Don't sell your Jeep (did it once, still miss the old CJ), look at it as improving.

Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
CJ51973 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 PM
seraph_rapture
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hazel Park
Posts: 298
The AX15 will take some modification to work, but is a stout trans. Of course I'd swap the 4.0 in at the same time, but that's me.

From 2.5/AX5, 30" Geolander, 2" BL
TO 4.0/AW4, 2.5 OME SOA, 5/8" boomerangs, 8.8 Aussie locked, D30 CAD eliminated, 35" Radial Rover, JCR 4x4 front and rear bumpers, ENGO 9000, Volvo e-fan, TJ rock rails, etc etc.
seraph_rapture is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 08-23-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
riverhippy
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: pic is my girlfriend/fiancee
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ51973 View Post
AX15 (4.0L) is common. Do some searching here. Don't sell your Jeep (did it once, still miss the old CJ), look at it as improving.
thanks...other than the ax's nv3550 or nv3500? if i sell it id get a newer one...cant be with out a jeep bro
riverhippy is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 08-23-2012, 12:36 PM
rodgers3
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: imperial
Posts: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhippy

thanks...other than the ax's nv3550 or nv3500? if i sell it id get a newer one...cant be with out a jeep bro
to much crome, to much plastic, to much electronic issues.
crome won't get u home bro.

u hear about the guy with arctic addition that the door caught on fire for no apparent reason?

keep the yj.
the less electronics the better IMO
rodgers3 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 08-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough
 
Opihi59's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Beyond Honolulu
Posts: 5,152
Looking at writeups in the FAQ is helpful, there is a ton of info on here and it will help you decide. You could also choose to rebuild your AX5, or replace it with a reman unit.

AX 15: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/2...mplete-659386/

NV3550: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n...irrels-752742/

If you're hearing grinding in 5th gear while it's engaged and being driven, it is unlikely that your issue is as simple as a 5th gear synchro. You've likely munched up gears, like driven 5th and countershaft 5th, and it isn't as simple as the broken snap ring issue either since you've still got power going to the wheels.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
riverhippy
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: pic is my girlfriend/fiancee
Posts: 265
thanks Opi. im a slow learner, what does this mean? "If you're hearing grinding in 5th gear while it's engaged and being driven, it is unlikely that your issue is as simple as a 5th gear synchro. You've likely munched up gears, like driven 5th and countershaft 5th, and it isn't as simple as the broken snap ring issue either since you've still got power going to the wheels." Am i gonna need to do more than replace the trans?
riverhippy is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough
 
Opihi59's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Beyond Honolulu
Posts: 5,152
Well, what happens with the snap ring is that the 5th gear slides back on the shaft and no longer meshes with its partner. You go to 5th, and it acts as if it is in neutral. If you are shifting into 5th okay without it grinding in the shift, it is not at all likely that your synchro is the problem at all. Since you get into 5th but then it grinds and that is the only time it grinds, then there is something bad in the meshing of the gears and likely there is a certain amount of gear carnage involved there. Of course with me not being there to hear it myself, there is a lot of conjecture loosed on my part, but that's how I diagnose it based on what I hear from you.
Pull off your T case, pull the rear case of your transmission, and have a look at 5th gear(s) and see what it looks like. If you drain your trans and do not get much in the way of metal chunks, don't be too surprised, it could still be there and just fell in the bottom of the rear case and didn't make it into the front case half where the drain is.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
riverhippy
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: pic is my girlfriend/fiancee
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Well, what happens with the snap ring is that the 5th gear slides back on the shaft and no longer meshes with its partner. You go to 5th, and it acts as if it is in neutral. If you are shifting into 5th okay without it grinding in the shift, it is not at all likely that your synchro is the problem at all. Since you get into 5th but then it grinds and that is the only time it grinds, then there is something bad in the meshing of the gears and likely there is a certain amount of gear carnage involved there. Of course with me not being there to hear it myself, there is a lot of conjecture loosed on my part, but that's how I diagnose it based on what I hear from you.
Pull off your T case, pull the rear case of your transmission, and have a look at 5th gear(s) and see what it looks like. If you drain your trans and do not get much in the way of metal chunks, don't be too surprised, it could still be there and just fell in the bottom of the rear case and didn't make it into the front case half where the drain is.
im looking for a trans now, should i be looking for a transfer case as well?
riverhippy is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough
 
Opihi59's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Beyond Honolulu
Posts: 5,152
Not unless your T case is broken as well. If there is no indication that you have any issues with your T case, swapping in a replacement AX5 should be all you need to do. Of course since you're going to have the tranny etc off, it's a good time to consider doing the clutch, etc while you have it off, and of course whatever else you can think of.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 06:41 PM
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru
 
UltimatE's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Worcester, Mass
Posts: 7,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph_rapture View Post
The AX15 will take some modification to work, but is a stout trans. Of course I'd swap the 4.0 in at the same time, but that's me.
AX-15 takes very little "modification" to swap in, and any modification required is bolt-in.

-Matt

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 07:51 AM
seraph_rapture
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hazel Park
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
AX-15 takes very little "modification" to swap in, and any modification required is bolt-in.
Swapping input shafts counts as modification in my book. Certainly drilling the TC to clock it if he replaces it with one from a Cherokee.

From 2.5/AX5, 30" Geolander, 2" BL
TO 4.0/AW4, 2.5 OME SOA, 5/8" boomerangs, 8.8 Aussie locked, D30 CAD eliminated, 35" Radial Rover, JCR 4x4 front and rear bumpers, ENGO 9000, Volvo e-fan, TJ rock rails, etc etc.
seraph_rapture is offline  
Reply

Tags
bigboobslittlelegs , butthurt® , hot girl with tat , smorr , titties dawg

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
write up for trans install? mattiemo TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 0 12-19-2008 10:01 PM
Need help during Crown SYE install w AX5 trans??? darioc YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 12 12-15-2008 10:03 AM
trans. install help!!!! TJ_Firefighter TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 4 04-15-2007 03:05 PM
Need help with trans install ASAP TJ_Firefighter TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 3 03-26-2007 07:29 AM
need help on new trans install keybo YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 1 10-27-2002 06:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome