What tools for drum brake job? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What tools for drum brake job?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
terryjeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What tools for drum brake job?

Will be attempting rear brake job this weekend. Have replacement part kit from Quadratec, but need to know what brake specific hand tools I am going to want. No intention of replacing the drums or cylinders, just shoes and hardware. As always, thank you for your time and interest.

terryjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Aside from a jack and lug wrench, get one of these. You can get the same thing as 2 or 3 seperate tools but this is fine for casual use.

1000% easier than anything else you will find in your tool box.

Only take apart one side at a time and note which side the larger shoe is on; front or rear.
multi-purpose.jpg  
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

Also a large hammer, Small vise grips, and needle nose pliers.

http://jeepyjwrangler.blogspot.com/
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Actually you need one of these too. I thought it was built into the other one, but after looking again it's not.
otc-4591.gif  
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I always like to take a picture of the innards before I tear it apart; sometimes it's not real obvious what goes where which way!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
jmmorgan82

The last time I worked on drum brakes was probably about 12 years ago in high school. I just pulled the outer drum off of each side, then pulled everything off of one side and used the other as a reference to reassemble. Rinse and repeat.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
I always like to take a picture of the innards before I tear it apart; sometimes it's not real obvious what goes where which way!
Or you can just jack up both sides at once and look at the other side for reference.
rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Aside from a jack and lug wrench, get one of these. You can get the same thing as 2 or 3 seperate tools but this is fine for casual use.

1000% easier than anything else you will find in your tool box.
You know, I have done drum brakes more times than I care to remember, and I have never figured out just what the heck that tool is supposed to do.

Unread 02-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
86YJSEANVA
1986 YJ Wrangler 

That tool is for the springs. It makes it so much easier to put the springs on and safer when taking them off.
Unread 02-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
Day215
1992 YJ Wrangler 

All of the above tools are indespesible, I hate doing drums but the tools make it much easier. I would pick up a brake spoon for adjusting the shoes and also a cylinder clip to keep the pistons from popping out on you. Take your time, you'll be a pro when your done.
Day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86YJSEANVA View Post
That tool is for the springs. It makes it so much easier to put the springs on and safer when taking them off.
Maybe I just need to see someone use one one day. I have just never been able to figure out exactly how you use it.

Unread 02-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Those tools do make the job a bunch easier. You can still do the job with a couple pairs of pliers and screw drivers.

Buy the tools.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good hand soap....GoJo with pumice works well Started replacing mine last night
brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentd711 View Post
Good hand soap....GoJo with pumice works well
You know what works even better? Rubber gloves. I get them from the local drug store. Box of 100 for just a couple of bucks. Works great. Plus you can change them any time, like just before putting in the brake shoes to avoid contaminating the shoe surface.

Unread 02-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #15
MDCustom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The tool I picked up years ago has the handle in the middle with a kind of flattened round end on side and that weird round piece that you see in those other pictures on the other end. ( I guess I will have to take a picture of it)
I find that it is the only tool other than the adjuster for the star wheel.

The round end with the tooth (see post #2) goes over the spring post at the top of the shoes. Rotating in the proper direction will catch a tooth on the long spring and allow it to stretch and clear the post. The other end of my tool (or the other handle in post #2) is used to put the spring back on. With the spring over the narrow handle, you put the end of the tool on the post and lever the spring to slide down the handle and catch on the post. Easy-peasy.

I only figured out this year (after many brake jobs) that the round end with the tooth unscrews and is re-installed on the handle backwards giving a tool like in post #4. That side is used for the two shoe retaining springs. Those springs are the short ones with the recessed washer and those annoying weird clips. It helps with the job but those clips are the least fave part for me. I find it easiest to hold the clip from the rear of the backing plate while pushing the sping/washer combination with the other hand. One or both hands can rotate the pieces the required 90 degrees until the clip catches on the washer.

Sorry for the long response...
By the way, The first one usually takes about 30 minutes. The second one about 5!
MDCustom is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.