What is too little to spend on a YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is too little to spend on a YJ?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-14-2001, 06:22 PM   #1
RollingMammal

What is too little to spend on a YJ?

In a few months I will most likley be purchasing a wrangler. Since I am still in highschool my price range is not very broad. According to the information I have gathered and stats from Autotrader, it appears as though I will be looking for a YJ between '88 and '92. Basically I'm wondering if $4000 is too little to spend. I am not too worried about putting some time and effort into it, however I don't have the time (and probably not the skills) to do a full engine rebuild. Also, I realize that mileage and general shape varies drastically between individual cars, but what is a ballpark figure for a YJ in descent shape? Thanks alot-

-dave-

-Also, is there a detailed history of the Wrangler anywhere on the web? I have some basic information, but I would be interested to see the minor (if any) differences between an '88 and a '92.

RollingMammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2001, 09:53 PM   #2
byj92

if it's in good shape...spend as little money as possible...if u don't know what to look for in a jeep, find a mechanic or a friend or your dad, or somebody that knows about jeeps and bring them with u, so u know you're not getting taken for your money...but it's like anything...the less money you spend on it now, the more money you can spend on it later or at least that's the way i look at it...
byj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2001, 11:43 PM   #3
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You have come to the right place for info about Jeeps. I can tell you one thing. Get a 91 or newer. If you can find one, get the 4.0 6 cylinder. It has a lot more power than the 4 banger and if you decide to lift it and add bigger tires later you will definitely need the 6. I paid 4000 for my 91 with the 4.0 and I love it. Just use some common sense and donít fall in love with the first one you find. Check for fluid leaks, rust, body damage and the condition of the drivetrain. Like the man said. Less spent now means more you can spend on the upgrades. And upgrades are what Jeeps are all about.
Better yet try to find one that someone has already done all the upgrades to and get it for a bargain. Hope this helps.
Sarge37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2001, 11:48 PM   #4
gosling1

Before I bought my first Jeep (CJ8), I read anything and everyting I could get my hands on. And I am still learning. This a good forum to get some answers. You also might want to check out some newsgroups. Check out JP magazine if you can or the other magazines. Engine rebuilds aren't that hard. Just have to look at it as sub-assemblies. Each major part can be rebuilt in sections, head, block, pistons. Plenty of good books out there on that also.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

g1

Tango Uniform
gosling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2001, 06:48 AM   #5
dartboy

There is no such thing as to little to pay for a Jeep. It all depends on how much time and effort(oh yeah and $$) you are willing to spend on it. I would say you should be able to find a decent Jeep for $4000. But in your situation (highschool) I would suggest saving a bit more cash and get a 91-95 YJ. The feul injection will help you out quite a bit. It's goning to work better, more power and a lot better gas mileage. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck Jeep hunting!
dartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2001, 07:58 PM   #6
shea324@aol.com

$4000 should be enough to buy a good Jeep. I would go for a 91, 6cyl, 5speed, with hard top and hard doors (you can always buy an aftermarket soft top later) and look for something with less than 100k miles. Remember Jeeps are money pits, factor this into your budget. And never buy the first one you look at.
Unread 12-16-2001, 09:17 PM   #7
RollingMammal

Thank you all. This is a great forum, I've already learned a lot. I'll be sticking around.

-My dad is a lawyer and he has had a number of cases involving various Wrangler roll-overs. Is this due to driver ignorance or is it really pretty easy if you don't watch out? Obviously anyone runs the risk of a roll offroad, but as far as freeway or surface streets, do I have to be extra careful.

Also what is the best way to learn offraoding technique? I've had some experience but not enough to feel comfortable. Thanks again -

-dave-
Unread 12-16-2001, 09:54 PM   #8
bigsteve3184

One of the best ways to learn offroad technique is to just go to a local trail with one of your buddies...and do it...Do it one way and then he next time do it from a different angle...and read magazines, 4-wheel magazines always have techniques in a lot of different situations.

-I agree...GET A 4.0, 6!!!!

www.novajeepers.com
bigsteve3184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2001, 01:40 AM   #9
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

AS Posted by RollingMammal
My dad is a lawyer and he has had a number of cases involving various Wrangler roll-overs. Is this due to driver ignorance or is it really pretty easy if you don't watch out? Obviously anyone runs the risk of a roll offroad, but as far as freeway or surface streets, do I have to be extra careful.

You were doing good until you said your dad was a Lawyer(Bloodsucker). Lawyers are only out to make a buck for themeselves. They could care less about who or what they represent. My Wrangler handles great. In the stock form, its alot better than my full size Chevy Pick up and Dodge Daytona or Dodge Grand Caravan.
Looks like were gonna start a new thread. Wrangler Safety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!null
Sarge37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2001, 08:31 AM   #10
Roachen

i got my jeep when i was 15, so i had two years to play around. Those two years we got a decent amount of snow in my area, so i really got a chance to go out and play. I learned a bit by just slidin around, and pullin it back in line. That has really helped me to drive not only offroad, but in adverse conditions. theres been times when my friends and i were the only cars on the road, and i did fine.
Roachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2001, 08:51 AM   #11
Kev
Master of the Obvious

I would agree with the others, stay away from the older 87-90 with the Peugot (sp?) transmissions and the carbs. Find something with fuel injection. As far as rolling, anything can be rolled if the driver acts stupidly or is really trying. I see these crazies on the freeway driving 80 mph in a heavy snow storm, then then wreck and get a lawyer and sue.

I don't think that a Jeep with even a moderate lift is really that much more likely to roll than a Ford Explorer or Chev S10 Blazer if you use your head when you drive. Sure, it is not a Camero when you can make a 90 degree turn at 70 mph, but just use your head and you will do fine.

Welcome aboard! And enjoy the wealth of knowledge on this forum

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2001, 11:00 AM   #12
evilpsych

yeah.. any time a rollover happens in a jeep it can either be attributed to people driving it as they would a car.. instead of how they would drive a truck.. which frankly, to me is why there are so many explorer rollovers also.. ITS A TRUCK! NOT A CAR WITH BIG TIRES! so obviously it's going to handle different than a low slung, low center of gravity passenger car. The other times when rollovers happen is when someone's showing off or in adverse weather conditions, such as iced roads. i've rolled a cherokee before, but that was on a gravel road and was due to my own ignorance and the existance of a ditch in a 90 degree turn that the right side dropped down into.. never seen one roll on the asphalt however.. even in that police chase video where the guy hits the wrangler at full speed it doesnt flip over.. it does a few 360's.. that one also appeared to have a slight lift.

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2001, 09:06 PM   #13
RollingMammal

Thank you all I will keep you posed on the negotiations. . . And no, he is not a dirty lawyer. He is half retired and now pursuing hobbies such as teaching and studying.

-dave-

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.