What are these holes for? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What are these holes for?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #16
danlee
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Door surrounds, my 87 had a factory soft top with 1/2 doors, when I went to a hard top I had to pull all the hardware off and that is what I was left with.

danlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^ They are part of the Rock Hard Sport Cage, that I added on

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #18
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barr5150
Well now I have another question...I plan on buying a complete after market top not a factory top. Will I still need the holes/brackets?
I have the SuperTop and I welded those holes in. I also fabbed my own cage tie ins like yours. I'm liking your build.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #19
Wingnutt87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If your going soft top that plastic piece that goes there has a stud on it the holds the upper frame for the top
Wingnutt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 06:10 AM   #20
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think you hit the nail on the head 94 - I have half doors and the plastic piece is needed for two reasons - to give the soft "upper" door somethign to snug up against and keep rain/wind, etc out - plus the little "teets" at the top hold the rail that the factory soft top snaps on to. I guess if you have full steel doors they might not be needed.
clush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #21
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

^x2
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #22
mntbkrguy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think you hit the nail on the head 94 - I have half doors and the plastic piece is needed for two reasons - to give the soft "upper" door somethign to snug up against and keep rain/wind, etc out - plus the little "teets" at the top hold the rail that the factory soft top snaps on to. I guess if you have full steel doors they might not be needed.
I have the bestop aftermarket soft top which has 2 barckets with the "little teets" you described that are attached to the windshield using the same bolts the roll cage uses. So it is not required if you have a soft top but I can see where it would create a better seal if I had them.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11002_9001.htm

A little off topic but.... I have also found that with my soft top from them I should really be using the uppers from a TJ that have the rounded corners instead of the YJ.
mntbkrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #23
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Those holes are there for the factory soft top for the part JBolty linked to. If you get an OEM type soft top then you'll need them.

If you get a supertop then you don't need them. A long time ago, with another Jeep, I replaced the OEM top with a supertop and I want to say the instructions said to remove that door seal piece. I didn't and it worked fine. I'm assuming it'll work without it as the instructions said to remove them.

I personally wouldn't weld them up. I'd just put shallow screws in them and call it good.
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #24
barr5150
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like the holes stay. Thanks for the help guys!
barr5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #25
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94chb View Post
how much were those grab bars and where did you get them?
I second the question.
seraph_rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #26
barr5150
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I like them too but it's not my jeep, "plumber1" posted a pic of his jeep. Looks like he says they are part of a "Rock Hard Sport Cage", maybe you could google it?
barr5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #27
jscott321

"What are these holes for?"

Those wholes are definitely for a plastic bracket that screws into the spot. On top of the bracket is a small post that help to lock down your full soft top. That bracket also creates a tightness between the door and the weather.

When you go to put the full soft top on, you extend the interior rack system. On the part of the rack that goes along the top of the door should be some snap buttons and a small plastic part with a whole that slips over the smaller post at the top of the bracket.

I just repaired my interior rack to put my top on and found out that is why you keep the wholes and plastic posts as they are. Good luck!
jscott321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #28
GilNewJeeper
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Yes. There is a plastic bracket that goes there.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11033_07.htm
Will those brackets interfere with the full doors ?...
GilNewJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.