what temp is too low? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what temp is too low?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

what temp is too low?

Summers over here are brutally hot, 115 to 125 on average with some days hotter. Most of the time my jeep holds it's own at 210 but will creep up a little hotter if I sit at a light too long, usually not too much to worry about. Now that the outside temperature has gone down I have noticed that most of the time the jeep is running at about 185, somtimes 195. Will this cause any issues with it not running at the normal operating temp?

Also, is it normal for a jeep to lose a little water every few days? I don't see any leaks, there is no indication of a bad head gasket yet every couple of days I have to put a little water in it to top it back up. If it is not leaking then where the heck is it going?

ptwhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You put tap water in your rad? That is going to leave behind mineral deposits in your system. Get coolant in there, I bet you wont have to top it off ever. Unless it is leaking from somewhere...
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I do put coolant in there, but I top it off with a little water if I don't have coolant laying around. If there is a leak, I just don't see it. Except for the small oil leak I have but that's apparently normal for Jeeps
ptwhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
cwsluggers1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Mine leaks coolant occasionally out the heater core (I think) onto the floor of the passenger side. Every once on a while, I put a glass of tap water in the overflow container if its empty. We have hot summers here too but even now, highway driving gets the temp a little above 210 and the transmission gets tough to shove it in gear. These could be related but I'm not sure.
cwsluggers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
adamandjessyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

could be leaking from the water pump. there's a drain hole on the underside of most pumps and if the internal seal is failing it will drip out while your driving and disappear when you try to find it. oh and as far as running temp i like to be above 180 and below 210 with a 195 thermostat.
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldnt really worry about my temp being too low unless there's a sensor or something wrong. You could use the scanner to make sure your computer is getting the right tempeture reading and as long as thats right it doesnt matter. I know my guage is quite a bit off from what readings I'm getting from my computer's readings.
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
cwsluggers1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamandjessyj View Post
could be leaking from the water pump. there's a drain hole on the underside of most pumps and if the internal seal is failing it will drip out while your driving and disappear when you try to find it. oh and as far as running temp i like to be above 180 and below 210 with a 195 thermostat.
thats exactly what happens!! I see it on the floor (only occasionally) after driving and I haven't been able to detect where it's coming from
cwsluggers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

The 4.0 was designed to run between 195(ish) degrees and 210 or spot on 210 in warmer climates. If you are running any colder than 195 then you need to replace your thermostat as you either have a defective or too low temp t-stat.

The 4.0 is a relatively hot burning engine, it is at peak performance when brought to factory operating temp.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you have coolant on the floor then you have either a hose leak to the heater core or the heater core itself. Easy to fix and well documented. Look in the FAQ under heating/AC
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.