What temp sending unit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What temp sending unit

**Flash Weekend Sale** Rockridge4wd.com Only!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06

Unread 10-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
TCazes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What temp sending unit

i replaced my sending unit to the gauge when I noticed one wire was pulled out of the plug. At the same time I had flushed my radiator (just with water. Left it running and kept the radiator full while it was running and draining at the same time) Also changed the cap and thermostat.

I have a factory spec 195 tstat from oreillys. Before I did all this the gauge would stay at 210 consistently when cruising hwy or city.

Originally, my ac went out and manifold pressure through the roof. I drained and refilled the system, put in a new fan clutch and all was fine there so I new the 210 after a new fan clutch seemed right.

After the new sending unit it hangs at 230 (next hash mark after 210?). I'm curious if the sending unit is off or it's really that hot? I took a temp gun and measured the coolant and the tstat housing. Both around 210 Is there any way to get a definite temp to reference my gauge too? I don't want it running hot.

It's a 95 4 banger with 190k miles on it. Radiator has been previously replaced before me and it's clean and clear. Seems the flow is just fine as well....

Any insight? I want to do an elec fan conversion but want to make sure it's currently running up to par before I go changing things.

TCazes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you are talking about the guage temp sensor there is only 1 wire:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...t-work-755864/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
TCazes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I know it's only one wire. I changed it with the one that put up at oreillys but I'm wondering if it's reading incorrectly...I found a chart for what the resistance readings should be compared to temp so I am wondering where should I measure that temp at? Outside of the tstat housing? Inside the radiator? Base of the temp sending unit?
TCazes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Compare the engine temp to the guage temp by meauring the resistance.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.