What is that squeaking??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is that squeaking???

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What is that squeaking???

I've owned Jeeps before. An XJ a CJ and now a YJ. I don't usually mind all the funny noises they make, but there is one constant squeak that will not go away. It happens every time I go over the smallest bump. It's not from the doors or hard top. It's coming from the driver's side, towards the front I think. Something in the suspension I'm guessing. High pitched and sounds like metal rubbing against metal.

aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check the sway bar link bushings, spring eye bushings, shackle bushings...basically check all your bushings, I would think you have one or more that are dry rotted and in need of replacement. If you aren't ready to replace them spray them with some silicone lubricant, I have had varying success with that working to quiet things down until I could replace mine.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
Red93yj
2011 JK Wrangler 

Also Greese your front drive shaft.
Red93yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #4
fbv193
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had this problem, it sounds EXACTLY like what you are describing. It drove me crazy figuring it out, until I finally observed that the sheetmetal on the tub that one of my body mount bolts fastens to was partially broken out. Every time I hit a bump, the cracked sheetmetal would scrape against each other causing an ungodly screech. On my Jeep it was the body mount below the passenger side floorboard. I ended up taking the bolt and bushing out, reinforced the broken out mount with heavier steel, and reassembled. Fixed the problem.
fbv193 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My springs are the culprit on mine. I get the same bump-squeak as you describe. Mine magically vanishes for a while every Spring. That's when I do my annual undercarriage painting. After I paint the springs, the squeak will go away for a few weeks; I guess the leaves rub and squeak.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had a hood hinge that had slop, caused noise.
chuck172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The springs inside my hood latches both squeak - I think a shot of lubricant will quiet them down.
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Come to think of it though, about the only things that don't not squeak, rattle or smoke on my Jeep are the tires!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
noise , squeaking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.