what Speedometer Gear do i need - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what Speedometer Gear do i need

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 09-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
skybird77
1993 YJ Wrangler 

what Speedometer Gear do i need

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what gear I need so that I can get my speedometer to work again I know that there are charts for telling what I need but I'm just unsure of my gear ratio is in my axle I was told I have a stock Dana 30 (how do you tell?) in the front and rear of my 93 YJ and I'm running 31's (tire). I read something that said that the gear ratio is imprinted on the side of the pumpkin but the only numbers I see are two 1) is 350 and 2) is 214 and on the charts I have looked at have 3.55 and 3.73 those are the closes to the first number but theirs a difference in price depending on those 2 ratio.

any way if someone could help me find the right toothed speedo gear i would very much appreciate it

thank you to all those who reply

skybird77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This ought to take care of you on the different axles. The gear ratio should be on a small steel strip bolted on the cover.
axle_id_01.gif   index-1.jpeg  
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This is the tag your looking for!
index.jpeg  
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
skybird77
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the head up on where to look but I do not have the id tag on mine the PO must have takin it off ill post a picture of what it looks like
Here is a link to what im looking at

PICTURE

Last edited by skybird77; 09-12-2011 at 07:00 PM..
skybird77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Get the jack out and raise one of the rear tires off the ground. Spin tire on full rotation, have the transfer case in neutral, and count the rotations of the drive shaft. This will get you close to what you have. you count. Like if the drive shaft rotates 3 and 1/2 turns then you have close to 3.55 gears, 4 and little bit more than 4.10 gears.
Disclaimer this should be done where the vehicle will not roll ( tires blocked) and while on the jack stay out from under vehicle.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.