what speed is your yj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what speed is your yj?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-24-2002, 05:35 PM   #1
off-road arkie

what speed is your yj?

O.K. here is the deal! i lost fifth gear in my yj and have pulled the tranny out . im thinking about just going back with a 4 spd but i cant remember how fast mine would run in 4th gear. i also need to know what RPM my motor is turning at 55MPH. sure could use this imformation

Unread 03-24-2002, 08:38 PM   #2
Mr. Mopar

dude if you took your tranny out you already did most of the work. pull the rear part of the case off 5th gear is seperate from the rest its like they just added it in the back of the 4 spd. once you get in there bolt your shifter on and put it in and out of fifth and you should be able to see what part is giving you the problem. then that part to the dealer and get a new one , then put it all back together put your 5 spd back where it belongs. next step, and this is the most important part GO JEEPEN
Unread 03-24-2002, 08:52 PM   #3
Keymaster

I have the same size tires but I have a 6 cyl. and we have different gears, so I don't know how similar our Jeeps go up the road. My jeep at 55 mph is turning almost exactly 2000 rpm's in 4th gear. I rarely use my 5th gear. If I'm going more than 65 on flat ground or going downhill I may use it, but if not I just stay in 4th. In 4th gear at 65 I'm only pushing about 2400 rpm. Hope this helps ya out.

Looking for a YJ!
Keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2002, 09:08 PM   #4
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

isn't there a different transmission in a 2.5l jeep than a 4.0? if so that would make thos numnbers above pretty useless or am i just not thinking str8. and with the gear ratios and tire size you should be able to figure that out w/ a calculator just don;t ask e how i sleep everyday in math class.

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2002, 09:13 PM   #5
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

opps sorry i didn't read that whole reply i guess he mentioned the gear difference between the 2.5 and 4.0

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2002, 09:24 PM   #6
off-road arkie

the reason i want to know all of this is because the main shaft is shot (kapoot) the cluster gear is (kapoot) also . but you can put them back in and leave 5th gear out and drive it that way. I just afraid it will overwind my motor at 65MPH and wear it out THANKS for the replies---jeep-on
Unread 03-24-2002, 09:37 PM   #7
Mr. Mopar

not sure dude sorry, try asking a tranny shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.