What Size tire can I run?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What Size tire can I run??

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-04-2002, 07:31 AM   #1
FastX

What Size tire can I run??

I own a 95YJ that I have had for six years. My jeep is my everday driver but I dont put on alot of miles. I like the woods, as I am sure you all do but I need to keep it practical. My plan now is swaybar disconnects and a telescoping track bars. That should help me in the woods but not compermise my street ride.I recently put a 2.5" Skyjacker soft ride under it and 0" lift greasable shackles. Now my question is what tire and what size to get?? What do I need for back spacing on my rims? I think i can run 33" on the street but will the rub to much in the woods? Also I was thinking of running boggers with beed locks. Then I can run low air pressure in the woods to help so more. But the tire is a soft compound and will it wear out to earler even though I dont put alot of miles on? So hopefully knowing what I want to accomplish you guys can help me out. Thanxs fastx

FastX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2002, 07:42 AM   #2
Bob K

Typically 30" is as big as you can go on a stock YJ without getting any rubbing. If you want to go bigger there are two tricks.

1. Bump stops. I have a brand new set of four to sell for $25 includes shipping cost.

2. Trim away the flat, vertical edges of the plastic flares. Also makes the Jeep look cool and lifted.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2002, 08:49 AM   #3
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bob he says he has a 2.5inch lift on his Jeep. I would think 33s would rub to much offroad, 32s would probably be better. I have a 2 inch lift with 31s.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2002, 08:56 AM   #4
Bob J

I would stay with 31"s for full articulation with the sway bar disconnects, you probably wont get much from the telescoping track bars, I never bothered with them on my YJ and I was running pretty much what you plan on doing.

Sig v.55
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2002, 08:58 AM   #5
BzJeep
2001 WJ 

Im leaning more on the 31x??x?? side for that lift. If you ever do anything really flexy where you are trying to get 32x??x?? might rub. Thats only if you don't do something to your flares. Also the bumpstop thing would help in turning, to make sure you don't rub when your trying to turn the whole way.

[b]Green Jeep Club Member #16[/b]
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/bzjeep[/url]
BzJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2002, 09:04 AM   #6
AllanAlxndr

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by SPEED:
<strong> Also the bumpstop thing would help in turning, to make sure you don't rub when your trying to turn the whole way.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">With the appropriate backspacing on the wheel, there shouldn't be any rubbing on full turn, if you are referring to the rubbing on the springs...
I think you best bet would be to go with the 31's. You didn't mention your engine size but 33's will kill your power and this is your daily driver. I run 33's with 6" of lift and have tons of room for a stuff.

Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*6" of lift, (4" suspension, 2" body)*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*
*Pioneer DEH3500/CD deck*
*1800WATT Amp w/ Custom Box*
*2 - 8" Rockford Fosgate HEs*
*Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4' Firestik Antenna*

Member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
AllanAlxndr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2002, 09:32 AM   #7
damonejeep

I agree with some of the posts, 31"'s will be your best bet.
And unless you are planning to tackle rock crawling, beed locks will be over kill. I am not saying do not do it, but if all you are planning to tackle is wwods and lite off-roading, then save the money and buy a set of really nice mud-terrains.
Just my $.02.
94 4.0L YJ, 31x10.5 ProComp MT's, 3.5" BDS, lockers and 4:56 gears to come!
damonejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2002, 05:50 AM   #8
FastX

Hey guys thanks for the ideas. Yesterday I borrowed a set of BFG A/T 33" 12.50 on 15"10" rims. Then I took off my swaybars and tested it out. I did get some fender flare rub but it wasn't to bad. I plan on getting the wide flares so may-be that will help. They were fine on the road but I think they stick out to much. I had 30" BFG A/T on so I was hoping to be able to run alittle bigger than just 31" So now I am thinking 32" 11.50" on 15"*8" boggers with lockers but I dont think you can get the boggers in that size. Any other ideas will be helpful. Thanks again Brad
Unread 06-05-2002, 02:02 PM   #9
Dan Morera

If you put 33"s you better think gears also. Don't know what you habe right now so I might be wrong.
Unread 06-06-2002, 09:55 AM   #10
FastX

Dan do your tires stick out the side running the 31" 10.50s"?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.