what size is the Pitman arm Nut.. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

what size is the Pitman arm Nut..

I got a 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 one to samll barely and one to big lots, what is it metric...??

or inch 5/16, I gotta borrow one from work now, so I only want to take 1 home not 2 or 3...

I only got hte 2 and neither fit.... borrowing a pitman arm puller as well that will make thigns easier...

Started with some rust repairs ended in a SOA...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just replaced the power steering box on my '91 recently. I want to say that the pitman arm nut is 1-5/16" but I just can't say for sure.

According to this chart, it would have to be either 32MM or 1-5/16" for the nut.

English to Metric Conversion

Max

Click here to see all of my different albums on Photobucket.
Choose any album to see all of my pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't remember when I did my XJ to ZJ pitman arm (funny, I too had to borrow the socket from work because I didn't have one the right size), but I believe it was 33mm...

I just brought home a whole set... :-)

*** Max beat me to it- looks like 1 5/16 = 33.3 mm, so my 33mm wasn't too far off- I know I used the metric set because it was there and had all the sockets ***
post #4 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
I don't remember when I did my XJ to ZJ pitman arm (funny, I too had to borrow the socket from work because I didn't have one the right size), but I believe it was 33mm...

I just brought home a whole set... :-)
I know for a fact that I don't own a 33MM socket (I've never seen one either, but I'm not saying they don't exist) but the socket I used did fit properly.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I know for a fact that I don't own a 33MM socket (I've never seen one either, but I'm not saying they don't exist) but the socket I used did fit properly.

Max
Hey, I am going on spongy grey cells from about a year ago. maybe it was a 32mm. I know I don't own anything near that big- I borrowed a set from the truck shop at work (we have a fleet of 16 big rigs). I know I used a metric set because they said I could borrow that one as long as I needed b/c they hardly ever used it! I know I got my arm off without too much trouble (I also used a pitman arm puller from Autozone tool rental).

~K
post #6 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks all, I grabed a 1 5/16... no metric that big here.....

trusting Max.... Im sure a 33mm would bfit to....

Started with some rust repairs ended in a SOA...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
post #7 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
Hey, I am going on spongy grey cells from about a year ago. maybe it was a 32mm. I know I don't own anything near that big- I borrowed a set from the truck shop at work (we have a fleet of 16 big rigs). I know I used a metric set because they said I could borrow that one as long as I needed b/c they hardly ever used it! I know I got my arm off without too much trouble (I also used a pitman arm puller from Autozone tool rental).

~K
I think it's pretty "gray" for all of us that may have done it a while back.

I was hoping that maybe between your experience & mine we might be able to help him nail it down by way of the process of elimination.

Getting older (like me ) sure doesn't help........

Max

Quote:
Quote:

post #8 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 03:04 PM
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I also recall it being 1-5/16". Well, at least, I bought a 1-5/16" socket for something because it is in my tool box. I don't know of anything else I would use that size for.

95 YJ with V8 going in, BDS 3.5" lift with MORE 5/8" boomerangs
Toyo Open Country M/T 33x12.50R15 on Cragar Soft 8 15x8 wheels
My Build Thread
--------
My new Jeep: 95 ZJ with 4.0L I6 (auto trans)
post #9 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Nampa
1991 YJ Wrangler 

1-5/16th or a 33MM is correct. I did my lift 2 days ago.
Remmember to PB blast the pitman arm if you want it to come off without cutting or breaking the puller.

Max is a trusted source, and usually has the answer or good idea for just about everything jeep related, his posts have saved me many times.
Thanks
post #10 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 PM
RockWoRM
LJ's do it longer

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yup, it is 33mm, but I also have a 1 5/16 to get the job done. It's a 'tad' bit sloppy, but it works.

WRM

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #11 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Yup, it is 33mm, but I also have a 1 5/16 to get the job done. It's a 'tad' bit sloppy, but it works.

WRM
That sounds good. According to the coversion chart I linked to earlier, 1-5/16" is 33.3MM, so what you're explaining sounds 100% accurate.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.