what size is the Pitman arm Nut.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what size is the Pitman arm Nut..

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

what size is the Pitman arm Nut..

I got a 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 one to samll barely and one to big lots, what is it metric...??

or inch 5/16, I gotta borrow one from work now, so I only want to take 1 home not 2 or 3...

I only got hte 2 and neither fit.... borrowing a pitman arm puller as well that will make thigns easier...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just replaced the power steering box on my '91 recently. I want to say that the pitman arm nut is 1-5/16" but I just can't say for sure.

According to this chart, it would have to be either 32MM or 1-5/16" for the nut.

English to Metric Conversion

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't remember when I did my XJ to ZJ pitman arm (funny, I too had to borrow the socket from work because I didn't have one the right size), but I believe it was 33mm...

I just brought home a whole set... :-)

*** Max beat me to it- looks like 1 5/16 = 33.3 mm, so my 33mm wasn't too far off- I know I used the metric set because it was there and had all the sockets ***
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
I don't remember when I did my XJ to ZJ pitman arm (funny, I too had to borrow the socket from work because I didn't have one the right size), but I believe it was 33mm...

I just brought home a whole set... :-)
I know for a fact that I don't own a 33MM socket (I've never seen one either, but I'm not saying they don't exist) but the socket I used did fit properly.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 07-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I know for a fact that I don't own a 33MM socket (I've never seen one either, but I'm not saying they don't exist) but the socket I used did fit properly.

Max
Hey, I am going on spongy grey cells from about a year ago. maybe it was a 32mm. I know I don't own anything near that big- I borrowed a set from the truck shop at work (we have a fleet of 16 big rigs). I know I used a metric set because they said I could borrow that one as long as I needed b/c they hardly ever used it! I know I got my arm off without too much trouble (I also used a pitman arm puller from Autozone tool rental).

~K
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks all, I grabed a 1 5/16... no metric that big here.....

trusting Max.... Im sure a 33mm would bfit to....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
Hey, I am going on spongy grey cells from about a year ago. maybe it was a 32mm. I know I don't own anything near that big- I borrowed a set from the truck shop at work (we have a fleet of 16 big rigs). I know I used a metric set because they said I could borrow that one as long as I needed b/c they hardly ever used it! I know I got my arm off without too much trouble (I also used a pitman arm puller from Autozone tool rental).

~K
I think it's pretty "gray" for all of us that may have done it a while back.

I was hoping that maybe between your experience & mine we might be able to help him nail it down by way of the process of elimination.

Getting older (like me ) sure doesn't help........

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 07-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I also recall it being 1-5/16". Well, at least, I bought a 1-5/16" socket for something because it is in my tool box. I don't know of anything else I would use that size for.
--------
My new Jeep: 95 ZJ with 4.0L I6 (auto trans)
cubewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Nampa
1991 YJ Wrangler 

1-5/16th or a 33MM is correct. I did my lift 2 days ago.
Remmember to PB blast the pitman arm if you want it to come off without cutting or breaking the puller.

Max is a trusted source, and usually has the answer or good idea for just about everything jeep related, his posts have saved me many times.
Thanks
Nampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
RockWoRM
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, it is 33mm, but I also have a 1 5/16 to get the job done. It's a 'tad' bit sloppy, but it works.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Yup, it is 33mm, but I also have a 1 5/16 to get the job done. It's a 'tad' bit sloppy, but it works.

WRM
That sounds good. According to the coversion chart I linked to earlier, 1-5/16" is 33.3MM, so what you're explaining sounds 100% accurate.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.