What should I look out for when buying a 90' YJ with a 6cyl. automatic? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What should I look out for when buying a 90' YJ with a 6cyl. automatic?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 12-06-2001, 05:50 AM   #1
AndyMan569

What should I look out for when buying a 90' YJ with a 6cyl. automatic?

A friend of mine wants to buy this 90' Wrangler that has a carburated 6cyl. with a automatic tranny. He asked me to tag along since I have two Jeep Wranglers. The problem is... One of my Jeeps is a fuel injected 4cyl. manual, and the other is completely modified from the ground up. So, for you guys that have experience with the carburated 6cyl. automatics... we need your help with some advice on what to look for, and what to watch out for. Thanks guys, Andy

Unread 12-06-2001, 06:51 AM   #2
dartboy

I have a 90 YJ but it's standard. The only thing I can tell you, is don't be surprised if it idles very rough. Very common problem with the carbed Jeeps. Not much you can do about it, short of replacing the carb.
dartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2001, 07:36 AM   #3
JJM

I own a 90 automatic... best advice I could give is don't buy one...

I recently have had a huge amount of problems with my carb, cat, muffler, exhaust/intake values etc.

Read the other posting on site.. alot talk about similar problems with the 90's and their carbs.

The only reason I haven't sold mine and bought a newer model is it only has 42,000 miles on it.
JJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2001, 07:42 AM   #4
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

HMM.. An automatic Jeep??? Do they make such a thing?
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2001, 10:18 AM   #5
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by AtRoPiNe:
HMM.. An automatic Jeep??? Do they make such a thing?
Frightening, ain't it? A whole whopping 3-speed. I'd hate to have one of those suckers with tall gears...
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2001, 07:54 PM   #6
jerk with a jeep

I have a 89 YJ with an automatic and I have the idling problem but there is a fix for it is this forum within the last 45 days or so.
There is also info addressing this @ http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/carter.html or http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/carter.html Ther is a great amount of info on the fix for this system. Also check into the Juice Box ignition system. With both of these modifications it should aid your stiuation greatly at a cost of about 120.00 +shipping.
So far I'm happy with my Jeep but it will be much better when the mods are done. As far as the automatic goes it works well off road crawls realy well, but I'm not doing realy radical stuff like some of these guys cuz I have to drive it back and forth to work. Eventually I plan on adding a 4.0 head they say this will add about 40 HP. These things realy are under powered with the auto trans, but it sure works great off road.

89 YJ about to get Juice Box and carb fix 4" lift 2"BL 33" swampers
jerk with a jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.