What serp belt? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What serp belt?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

What serp belt?

I went down to autozone last night and picked up a new serp belt for my A/C conversion, the belt for the 2.5 w/AC and w/PS was like 8" to long.... I took it back and they said since the a/c was a dealer kit I had to get a belt from aa dealer....... is there anywhere else I could get it? The dealer wants like 50$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
it bolted right up, except one bolt but i didn't need it anyway

Last edited by rustywrangler; 08-09-2008 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: langauge problem
samsonitesamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

From WikiAnswers:

Route a long piece of string as the belt would be routed. Pull it taught, then tie it off. Cut the string and measure it.

Most brands of belts are supplied in sleeves that explain the relation between belt size in length. Consider that you need a belt one size SHORTER than your string, as the tensioner was not loaded when you tied the knot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

according to autozone they have no idea how long the belts they sell are, and they are not listed on their packaging.

Quote:
Unread 08-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't doubt that, coming from AZ. Most of their help has no previous automotive/parts experience.

The part number actually describes the belt. Each number references some info, how many ribs, length, etc. I just am not familiar with the numbers to know which ones mean what.

I deal with a "local" parts store, that has the "old time" parts guys that have done it all their lives, and they KNOW what they're talking about.

If you don't have access to that kind of parts person, take the measurement as prescribed & PM me the info, including how many ribs, etc. I'll get my guys to get you a part number if you need me to.

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 08-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Goodyear belt numbers are length and rib count.
Example,4060690 is a 6 ribX69".
Here is a link to Goodyear that lists all the sizes and part numbers.
http://www.goodyearep.com/productsdetail.aspx?id=31
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitesamson View Post
I went down to autozone last night and picked up a new serp belt for my A/C conversion, the belt for the 2.5 w/AC and w/PS was like 8" to long.... I took it back and they said since the a/c was a dealer kit I had to get a belt from aa dealer....... is there anywhere else I could get it? The dealer wants like 50$
Unread 08-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8942 View Post
Goodyear belt numbers are length and rib count.
Example,4060690 is a 6 ribX69".
Here is a link to Goodyear that lists all the sizes and part numbers.
http://www.goodyearep.com/productsdetail.aspx?id=31
The whole time I was trying to help the OP, I was hoping you'd show up. I knew that an experienced guy like you would know what I was driving at. I knew the basics, but not the particulars.

Thanks Pat.

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 08-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to help.
Hopefully this will help other folks that need custom belts.
V-belts are similar but the're measured in thirty seconds as far as width.
A 16550 V-belt would be 1/2"X55".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
The whole time I was trying to help the OP, I was hoping you'd show up. I knew that an experienced guy like you would know what I was driving at. I knew the basics, but not the particulars.

Thanks Pat.
Unread 08-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good to know Pat!

Much like bearing part numbers, which also are indicative of the type/size of the actual bearing.

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 08-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The GoodYear belts are just as Pat described picked one up from AutoZone today for my OBA. The AutoZone brand Duralast belts are numbered basically backward from the GoodYear, like in Pat's example of the 69.0" belt the Duralast will have the first three number rather than the last three, 690XXX. To measure mine I used the wifes seamstress tape (she never uses it anyhow).
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

So I go to the dealer, and they say that my 93 2.5 should have 2, yes TWO, idler pulleys and that is why I can't find a belt to work, for one reason or another I only have one and and stuck with having to get a custom belt.

Quote:
Unread 08-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #11
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sometimes I think pat is that "old time" parts guy that Max mentioned.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitesamson View Post
So I go to the dealer, and they say that my 93 2.5 should have 2, yes TWO, idler pulleys and that is why I can't find a belt to work, for one reason or another I only have one and and stuck with having to get a custom belt.
buy the idler pulley and put it in. i just went through something similar on my 4.0, though i was putting in OBA. my original setup was a 5 pulley with only 1 idler. the second idler was needed to put enough wrap on the alt pulley once the compressor was added to the mix to keep the belt from slipping under load. my first attempt i didn't take the time to look at the belt routing for the 6 pulley and routed it the way i thought it would be. it worked, but under heavy loads it still slipped even with the 2nd idler. it wasn't until i rerouted (with yet another belt) to the stock routing that i got rid of the squeal. at least i have a spare belt now that i know will work

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.