What's the technical name for this stuff... - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By JeeperDon

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
YJCinner13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What's the technical name for this stuff...

It keep falling off my YJ...I pull some off, someone told me to keep it as long as possible. Is there a technical name for it?
For being the 95, I'm surprised it's just now starting to fall off. Just annoying caws when it breaks loose, it flaps and I have to crawl under her to strap it back up or screw it back on, which is what I did today at lunch time. Just curious.

And a brand new pic of the Cinner that I took today.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3280.jpg   IMG_3281.jpg   FullSizeRender.jpg  

Life's too short to drive a boring vehicle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 04:31 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

what parts?
The splash shields?

I removed mine. they were full of sand. Left a big pile of sand in the driveway.

If you feel the need to keep them, I don't know of anywhere that sells em' new.
Junkyard or E-bay part.
Worth the effort?

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built."
Henry Ford
post #3 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 06:42 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

They just add weight, cut your top speed, and kill fuel mileage. I took mine off 20 years ago.
NHfireLJ and YJDave like this.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 08:00 PM
Louie4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I keep mine on because they tend to capture a number of things I've dropped down there.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #5 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 08:01 PM
bruinjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yep... ripped those flaps off long ago
post #6 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 10:40 PM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, they are various splash shields. They are best kept in place as they keep mud and slush from getting up in the nooks and crannies and causing rust and corroding cables and wires. If you cant find used replacements, you can make your own out of any similar flexible rubber sheeting

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/D35@3.07
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25@3.73
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #7 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 10:45 PM
project_mercy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
Yeah, they are various splash shields. They are best kept in place as they keep mud and slush from getting up in the nooks and crannies and causing rust and corroding cables and wires. If you cant find used replacements, you can make your own out of any similar flexible rubber sheeting
I ripped mine off because of a theory they actually cause the rust and corrosion. The salt gets trapped up behind it. I think that's why you see so many jeeps rusting out from around the joins in the tub behind the roll bar mount. I mean, I painted it with some pretty sturdy paint after I pulled them out, and I'll keep an eye on it for chips and such, but I'd rather having something the underbody spray can get too, than something trapping all the slush and sand and stuff up there. When I pulled mine out, like Chris, I got probably 10 cups of Florida sand out of it.

I'd admit, gravel likes to "ping" off the well now when you're cruising down gravel and so it doesn't help road noise at all, but I'm not convinced it helps with corrosion when combined with regular cleaning. Ask me again in a couple years and we can see how solid my theory is.

With your help I will resist the urge to buy a chrome grill guard for yet another day.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 11:15 PM
YJDave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I tore mine out shortly after I bought my YJ because they were already hanging down. I couldn't believe the amount of mud, rocks, and sand they were holding.

Owner of MI-TAC LLC

post #9 of 10 Old 06-17-2017, 06:56 PM
bruinjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The only ones i kept in are where the fenders meet the tub. (Under the ecu and battery tray respectively).

I saw on JF a while ago some member made some out of lightweight aluminum. Cant find the thread now and dont know how it turned out either
post #10 of 10 Old 06-19-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
YJCinner13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Seems either way, everyone has a different opinion. I think i'll plan to remove them as they fall off again...winters up here are brutal, but we don't see a ton of gravel roads. As for the road noise, it's a Wrangler so I'm used to it. Thanks for the thoughts and taking the time ya'll.

Life's too short to drive a boring vehicle!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.