What is the purpose of a stinger on the front bumper? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is the purpose of a stinger on the front bumper?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #16
YJmaddness
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy

very true. i totalled a 70 vw bug with a 30lb+ raccoon. had the tubing and diamond plate for the vw stinger inside with me. day late and a dollar short.
Too funny....

YJmaddness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #17
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
very true. i totalled a 70 vw bug with a 30lb+ raccoon. had the tubing and diamond plate for the vw stinger inside with me. day late and a dollar short.
Even a photochopped version of what you just said would be welcome.
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #18
Scary-Animal
1987 YJ Wrangler 

For me, I use the heck out of my stinger. In tight rock canyons, I put it up against rock walls at an angle to cheat the corner and slide around it. I haven't flopped yet, but I suppose it would save damage to the radiator, etc... like the other guys on here said. Personally, I have used mine literally hundreds of times, usually to get up somewhere I didn't quite have the clearance to get over or around.

When you are looking down a 15' drop of granite, with a 55* incline behind you, I would rather keep going forward than back up and do a 37 point turn and risk going down in the same spot I just came up.

So, it just depends on what kind of wheeling you're into. Dirt roads and mud puddles, keep the stubby stock style. Start playing in more technical areas, better safe than half-assed.
Unread 03-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #19
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So if one of them fancy shmancy sport cars happens to brake check you for reasons unbeknownst to anyone, you can just keep rolling on over the top of him

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #20
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
So if one of them fancy shmancy sport cars happens to brake check you for reasons unbeknownst to anyone, you can just keep rolling on over the top of him
ha nice one
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #21
96JeepZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
AND push them to the ground so you can drive over them..... bullets are getting expensive.

so true
Unread 03-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #22
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the original purpose of stinger bumpers was to keep your rig from completely falling into sink holes and crevasses you didn't see coming out in the desert or running an ice floe.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #23
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
AND push them to the ground so you can drive over them..... bullets are getting expensive.
plus, if you get the right "recovery hooks" on the front you dont even have to get out to take home a trophy.
Unread 03-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #24
YJPete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Depends on how its installed. I have a buddy who uses his for crawling, the line of the stinger runs straight down to the front tires, so he just drives it into a rock and slides up on it until the front tires make contact. You can attack higher rocks that way.
2.5" on the suspension, 1" on the shackles, 2" on the body, 4.88 Superior Gears, 35" Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar, MSD-6 Offroad ignition box, Flowmaster Exhaust, Warn 9.5Ti Winch, Detroit Tru-Trac Front, Detroit Locker Back
YJPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #25
Hardbuck90
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So you can get the lead role in the next Mad Max

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Hardbuck90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #26
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

great place to carry your trophies during hunting season too just lay it across and tie the legs around the bars
Unread 03-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #27
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
great place to carry your trophies during hunting season too just lay it across and tie the legs around the bars
This was what I was thinking. You usually have all your camping gear and beer in the back so there is no room to put your game, so the stinger is the next option.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #28
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
This was what I was thinking. You usually have all your camping gear and beer in the back so there is no room to put your game, so the stinger is the next option.
exactly. added room.
Unread 04-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #29
duramax-yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Its also a great place to mount your trail camera
duramax-yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #30
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax-yj View Post
Its also a great place to mount your trail camera
I thought that it was for the whole time!
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.