Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What is the purpose of this hole above the starter?

6K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  fishadventure 
#1 ·
So I'm still in the process of my 4.0 swap. It's going along well but I think its going to set a record for the longest swap in history. With work and school I just don't have much time.

Anyways today I'm going to bolt in the starter, when I crawl under there I find this hole above the starter. It is perfectly milled so I know its factory plus there is a picture of it in the FSM. Unfortunately there is nothing to tell me what it is.

So what is this hole for? Should there be anything in it? Is it for a freeze plug that is missing? :confused:

I can stick my entire pinky finger in it so I'm sure oil will spill out of it?

See less See more
#3 ·
dude, i just looked at a motor i have on the floor.. it has a freeze plug there..

#4 ·
Dude--don't panic yet. I just checked mine, there is no freeze plug in mine, just an open gaping hole. I know for certain that I have an original motor, I bought mine in such a state of total neglect that nothing had EVER been done to/for mine and it had to have come this way factory.

Anyone else have any input.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!

So you're saying you drive your Jeep around daily with this open hole and nothing leaks out of it? The last post said possibly a spot to grip in the factory. If nothing leaks out of it that's good enough for me. If a freeze plug goes there as another post lists then I would assume coolant would leak out?

It's for the compact flux compactor that comes stock with the 4.0,
seeing as its the only jeep(engine) that can get to 88mph

:rofl:

srsly i have no idea.
Funny you mention that as I started this engine swap on November 5th 1955!

Any other input anyone?
Thanks!!!

Reactions: fishadventure
#5 ·
It might be a casting hole so the could put hooks to move the block around. I could picture two chains with hooks holding the engine in a casting plant assy line. That would be the quickest way of moving the block

#8 ·
If I remember correctly there is a TSB about this hole causing premature rear main seal leaks. Jeep's solution was putting a rubber plug in that hole.

#9 ·
its too late for me to go and check, but mine could be a rubber plug, i cant tell just by looking at it due to all the grime thats there, but regardless, rubber or freeze, mine is plugged up

#10 ·
So ghost has a plug in this hole and opihi has a gaping hole, I then assume this is not part of the coolant or oil systems?

I guess then my question is do I need to find something to plug this with? Do I need to worry about this hole at all?

I just don't want to start her up and have something spewing out of it.

#13 ·
That hole is nothing. It is simply a way to hold the block. Look further toward the front of the block behind the timing cover and next to the fuel pump boss and there should be another hole of the same size coming out of the side of the block. I used these points to hoist my block. There was never anything in mine.

Good Luck

#11 ·
"So ghost has a plug in this hole and opihi has a gaping hole"
That just doesn't sound right:rofl:
My '91 block does not have a plug either. You should be fine. I am curious about the TSB that letitloose mentioned. I don't ever recall reading that one. Can anyone confirm it?

#14 ·
Thanks all! :thumbsup:

I'll leave it alone then and continue with the swap!

Reactions: evventr5375
#15 ·
my curiousity got the best of me, and i yanked it.. turns out..

and DONT LAUGH!!!

it was caked in mud, grease, oil, weeds, and whatever that made it into a rock hard plug of sorts when i tapped it yesterday..

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

i was upside down and hurrying to get back in the house!!

#17 ·
#19 ·
I just took my starter off and I had a rubber plug in it I tried to get it out and it broke. So the end of it was round stayed up in the hole I tried to get it out and it went in farther. Try getting with a piece of wire and can’t find it. So putting in a crankshaft sensor I dropped a bolt so had to take off the inspection plate from the Bell housing and found my bolt but no piece of the plug. I looked and looked for it no good so I am going to put a plug in it and move on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.