What part do I need? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What part do I need?

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 08-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What part do I need?

What parts should I get to fill in this gap?

fender-ex..jpg

chuck172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

There really isn't one. You've got an aftermarket flare (the part around the wheel). The factory flare went back and met the side moulding. Typical YJ's didn't have the step/side moulding (just a little end piece on the tub that terminated it), so when you removed the flare and take off the little end piece, an aftermarket flare (like the one you have) looks fine.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Its overkill but lose the steps and get some rock sliders. Or get two stock tj flare extensions and cut them so they fit.
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Get rid of the silly looking flares.

JMHO
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Put on some rock sliders. Remove everything between the wheel wells.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 04:18 AM   #6
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I might be getting a pair of 6" bushwacker flare extensions. Would they work with the rugged ridge flares I have on now?
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
I might be getting a pair of 6" bushwacker flare extensions. Would they work with the rugged ridge flares I have on now?
They might, but they won't tie in cleanly to the factory step.

Another option would be to put in tube steps, or if you can enter/exit without the aid of a step, just ditch the existing step and be done with it.

Oh, BTW, watch those Rugged Ridge fender flares, they're not the most durable in the world. They have a tendency to crack in cold weather. Especially by the mounting bolts.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd take them off and deposit them in the nearest trash can. Steps and running boards are for old folks.
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
I'd take them off and deposit them in the nearest trash can. Steps and running boards are for old folks.
I'm 60!
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You could find a pair of stock extension endcaps and install them on the opposite side so that they finish the running board and not the front fender flare.

Or you can adios the steps altogether and get somethig different.
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
You could find a pair of stock extension endcaps and install them on the opposite side so that they finish the running board and not the front fender flare.
that was going to be my suggestion...you might have to trim the stock ends down but they should work.

search google for part # 55007316 & 55007317
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Anticanman;15774438]You could find a pair of stock extension endcaps and install them on the opposite side so that they finish the running board and not the front fender flare.
search google for part # 55007316 & 55007317

That's a good idea, not very expensive either
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post

Or you can adios the steps altogether and get somethig different.
That's a very clever solution...
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I ordered part # 55007316 & 55007317. Came out to less than $20.00 including shipping. Thanks everyone.
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When i put on my tj flares I actually cut part of the front flare and to fill the gap. I Tried being all fancy using a miter saw and then quickly realized it was easier to use scissors!

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.