what other jeeps can I get a transfer case from? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what other jeeps can I get a transfer case from?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
roadgator
1994 YJ Wrangler 

what other jeeps can I get a transfer case from?

I just bought another 2.5, 94 yj today. It is the same as my current yj. I am planning on putting the best stuff on my yj and then selling the one I just bought.

I need a transfer case for the new to me yj. It is wiped out. I drove it home about 8 miles, but it made a ton of racket. What other jeep can I look for a new tc. My local yards do not have any wranglers to pick from.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Here is a picture. The chrome grill one is the new one.

roadgator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You'll be looking for a 21 spline version of the NP231j case. I don't know of too many that bolt right up. The Cherokee case is clocked slightly for its application.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You want the best Jeep T case get a Dana 300 from a CJ, Get a Twin stick conversion, 4:1 gear kit, 32 spline output, D300 Flip kit ......... But you will be close to the cost of a Atlas2 going that route. Also upgrade the trans to a AX15 or NV3550
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
roadgator
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was just wondering if a junkyard route would work or is it very difficult to rebuild the tc? I will re sell this jeep once I get the stuff I want for mine. I got it for under a grand andplan on using the suspension lift, tailgate, tires, steps, and interior for my jeep. I will then put my stuff on the new one to re sell.
roadgator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rebuilding a transfer case shouldn't be too hard. I've never done it myself but I have installed about a dozen slip yoke eliminator kits and there aren't too many parts that would be difficult to install. It could just be a stretched chain. Pretty cheap fix.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would pull it first and open it up. They are very easy to work on. Just take your time and take pictures for reference. It probably is just a chain issue and can be fixed cheap.

A 2.5l Cherokee tc should bolt up with little work. Would have to change/ flip the selector arm and probably the sending unit, but that's easy. The yokes would need to be swapped with your current tc, but again, not a big issue. The clocking that was mentioned would not be an issue as that's dependent on the transmission.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
You want the best Jeep T case get a Dana 300 from a CJ, Get a Twin stick conversion, 4:1 gear kit, 32 spline output, D300 Flip kit ......... But you will be close to the cost of a Atlas2 going that route. Also upgrade the trans to a AX15 or NV3550
Dont forget the new passenger side axle for that swap too.

They are easy to pull apart and work on. The most specialty tool you will need is a heavy duty lock ring pliers. There are plenty of write up on rebuilding them. you tube or google it. Id start by pulling apart yours and see if it just needs new bearing, chain, or a full rebuild. Remember the problem with swapping is that you still dont know what kind of shape the one your buying is in.

According to Novaks site you can get a t/c from wranglers with the short input 21 spline shafts from behind AW4 through 90,AX4,AX5 and BA10/5.

Like said earlier I would steer clear of the cherokee ones since you will need to modify the holes in your trans to mount it in the right location.

The good news is any one doing a ax-15 swap for a BA/10 should have what you need.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbos76cj View Post
Like said earlier I would steer clear of the cherokee ones since you will need to modify the holes in your trans to mount it in the right location.
Not true. It is the transmission that decides where the transfer case is clocked. There is nothing to be done to a cherokee transfer case to make it work in a wrangler. Its when you use the cherokee transmission that you need to worry about clocking.
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301 View Post
I would pull it first and open it up. They are very easy to work on. Just take your time and take pictures for reference. It probably is just a chain issue and can be fixed cheap.
^ this should be your first step
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #10
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
Not true. It is the transmission that decides where the transfer case is clocked. There is nothing to be done to a cherokee transfer case to make it work in a wrangler. Its when you use the cherokee transmission that you need to worry about clocking.
I stand corrected.. I do apologize I actually knew this tidbit of information but had my cup of coffee kick in mid way through typing my reply which made me finish in haste.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No apologies needed, just wanted to clarify that so there was no confusion
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbos76cj View Post
Dont forget the new passenger side axle for that swap too.

They are easy to pull apart and work on. The most specialty tool you will need is a heavy duty lock ring pliers. There are plenty of write up on rebuilding them. you tube or google it. Id start by pulling apart yours and see if it just needs new bearing, chain, or a full rebuild. Remember the problem with swapping is that you still dont know what kind of shape the one your buying is in.

According to Novaks site you can get a t/c from wranglers with the short input 21 spline shafts from behind AW4 through 90,AX4,AX5 and BA10/5.

The good news is any one doing a ax-15 swap for a BA/10 should have what you need.
He will not need a ps drop axle if you read my post about the flip kit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly is stopped reading the rest of the post when it started to go the Dana 300 4-1 kit. The op was asking about what t/c would be a direct swap not what can I do to make the best most expensive t-case ever.

What don't you use the T-case from your current jeep?
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #14
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You would be better off fixing the TC and selling it with the lift. You should buy a new lift for your keeper with some of the profits of your sale. When you start trading out the springs, you'll figure out how much it sucks to have to do it twice. LMAO!
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
No apologies needed, just wanted to clarify that so there was no confusion
Thanks.. I was shopping for a ax-15 same time I was looking for a t-case.. Must have all run together in the brain..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.