What a Nightmare - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What a Nightmare

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What a Nightmare

I had an awesome day out on the lake yesterday... absolutely beautiful. Towing the boat back up the ramp was a snap with the Jeep in low range after I pulled the vacuum hoses off the front axle.

The nightmare started on the way home... the right-side axle bearing on my boat trailer seized and I lost the wheel. I felt the trailer swerve, felt it bounce, and then the most horrible "oh crap my boat fell off and the brand-new motor is being destroyed" metal-on-asphalt sound. I pulled off the road where the axle dug into the dirt and I didn't need to use the brakes... so I call the tow truck and learn it's going to be very expensive to have the boat put on a flatbed... then I try to move the boat the rest of the way off the road.

MY T-CASE SHIFT LINKAGE BROKE!! So here I am trying to move the boat without a wheel in dirt... trying to shift into 4wd but the lever is just going all over the place... finally get mad and just pop the clutch while revving and I am able to drag the boat off the road.

My wife found the wheel and I found the bolt for the t-case... I had to drive back home in 4low (apparently it eventually did shift into 4low) - that was 5 miles at least - with the vacuum hoses disconnected. The front axle was making a weird noise the whole time and the t-case was winding up so loud I thought I was going to blow it.

For the record, you can do 35 miles an hour in 4-low... if you're in 5th gear and are okay with doing 3k RPM.

Anyways... the first couple of threads on the nut for the bolt that fell out have stripped... so I have to tap it tomorrow. Hopefully I didn't destroy the transfer case driving that far that fast on the street... I suppose now would be an excellent time to replace the fluid though.

Is there a best kind of fluid to use in the transfer case? Lucas gear oil?

”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Blstr88
2013 JK Wrangler 

Bummer! That sounds terrible man, sorry to hear it!

Any pics...?

Parts can always be replaced though right? Nobody got hurt which is cool
Blstr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

ATF for the t-case. Sucks you lost that wheel and had to deal with all that crap. At least you didn't lose the boat.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...hange-1009078/

Sorry about the bad luck!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wait I'm confused on one thing. The shifter linkage broke. Internally or externally? You can move the linkage by hand from the outside to select between 2wd to 4wd.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'll see if I can get some pics tomorrow.

Yeah, thank God nobody got hurt and the boat stayed on the trailer.

The bolt that keeps the linkage together externally fell out. I can't seem to be able to move it. It's probably locked up because I parked it in 4wd.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Unread 04-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
littlejohn411
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thank god you stayed on the road and kept controll.

I have a stupid question for you guys,What type of ATF? And is there any to stay away from?
Also,any recommended additives or is that just a waste.
Unread 04-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Why do people not understand that you can shift the t-case in and out of 4wd by hand. Just because your shifter broke doesn't mean you have to stay in 4lo

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Peter Nuss
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your Preventative Maintenance Schedule needs a little tweaking. Good luck with your repairs.

Last edited by Peter Nuss; 04-09-2010 at 05:56 PM..
Peter Nuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #10
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provinT13
Why do people not understand that you can shift the t-case in and out of 4wd by hand. Just because your shifter broke doesn't mean you have to stay in 4lo
It was dark and I had no idea what was going on. I didn't know the extent of the damage and I don't have under-body lighting yet. I parked it on asphalt while it was in 4low, and with my grippy tires the t-case "locks in" unless I'm rolling or on soft ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nuss View Post
Sounds like your Preventative Maintenance Schedule needs a little tweaking. Good luck with your repairs.
What exactly does that mean? I couldn't have foreseen the bolt coming loose (bolts are always coming loose on YJ's), and I had no idea I was supposed to grease the wheel hubs on the trailer. You don't have to on a car.
Unread 04-10-2010, 04:04 AM   #11
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nuss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
What exactly does that mean? I couldn't have foreseen the bolt coming loose (bolts are always coming loose on YJ's), and I had no idea I was supposed to grease the wheel hubs on the trailer. You don't have to on a car.
Bolt coming loose, not necessarily foreseeable.

Boat trailer axle bearing failure, completely predictable.
True, "You don't have to on a car" but you would if you dunked the wheels in the water EVERY time you used it.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Things are going from bad to worse... I bought all the oil I need to change all my lube ($100), found the right tap and die and cleaned the bolt out. When I went to fix the threads in the nut, I re-threaded the entire thing at a different angle!

The good news is that I was able to hand-shift it into 2wd with some jimmying, and that my 4wd indicator is suddenly working.

The bad news is that I cannot shift it out of 4wd period with the bolt in the linkage.

I may have to buy the fixed part of the linkage new or see if I can find one in a junkyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Boat trailer axle bearing failure, completely predictable.
True, "You don't have to on a car" but you would if you dunked the wheels in the water EVERY time you used it.

Max
Yes, but like I said... I didn't know I was supposed to. Live and learn, I guess.

Unread 04-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
It was dark and I had no idea what was going on. I didn't know the extent of the damage and I don't have under-body lighting yet. I parked it on asphalt while it was in 4low
Grab a mini mag light next time, flashlights are great to have Well now you know, learn how to change the linkage when the shifter is busted, just in case something like this happens again.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #14
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provinT13 View Post
Grab a mini mag light next time, flashlights are great to have Well now you know, learn how to change the linkage when the shifter is busted, just in case something like this happens again.
Haha yeah... good idea. I did have a flashlight, just no batteries.
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #15
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Glad the boat and trailer did not flip your jeep over, looks like a lighter set-up so that's good. Sometimes you see that with u-haul trailers, or camper trailers. Sometimes things go south with a trailer that big, so does the rig in front of it, just flips right over with the trailer.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.