What is this on my new engine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is this on my new engine?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 01-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

What is this on my new engine?

Anyone recognize this fitting that is sticking out of the oil filter mount on my new engne?

I screwed the old adapter from my old block in there dead center, but don't want to pull this 1.5" rod out until someone seconds my opinion that it is from the reman process and got left there....

Help.

Had this in my rebuild thread, http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...ilding-869713/ but wanted you to see it incase your not a thread fan...I just need some quick attention on this one.

hotelconucc93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I can't see your pics, they're blocked here at work, but I think you might get an explanation in this article.

Oil Filter Conversions

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
bulrokyj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks Like just a spring pin. I think it was a leftover. It would be impossible to screw the filter on with that there. Im not !00% certain tho.
bulrokyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

There is a roll pin sicking out about a half inch right next to the threaded part for the filter. Maybe 1/4 diameter. Odd. Maybe someone can snap a pic without a filter to compare. What engine?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There should be a 90* angle oil adapter that is what hold it in place from turning.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
There is a roll pin sicking out about a half inch right next to the threaded part for the filter. Maybe 1/4 diameter. Odd. Maybe someone can snap a pic without a filter to compare. What engine?
Ah! The first pic had the block number for you tech guys. Block 53008405, 1991 YJ 4.0 I6 242.

Sorry!

Max, when you get outta work, you gotta look...your article is neat but I don't know if it applies here. I would love an angle, but the article was not 91 YJish so is it possible?
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Thats the catch. There was NO adapter on my old block, just a male-male nipple, now seen screwed into the middle of the pic with the mle threads out for the filter.
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #9
msprooch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

weird...I say break it off, but its not my new remanned engine, btw your build looks sweet. Im stocking your build lol.
msprooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelconucc93 View Post
Ah! The first pic had the block number for you tech guys. Block 53008405, 1991 YJ 4.0 I6 242.

Sorry!

Max, when you get outta work, you gotta look...your article is neat but I don't know if it applies here. I would love an angle, but the article was not 91 YJish so is it possible?
My wife's '93 has an XJ 4.0L in it with an angle adapter. The angle adapter can be used on any 4.0L block, to the best of my knowledge.

I actually prefer having it on hers and I will install one on my '91 4.0L if I ever get around to it.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
Reverb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If a 90 degree adapter should be there - shouldnt the threaded bit be missing?
Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
If a 90 degree adapter should be there - shouldnt the threaded bit be missing?
Took the threaded nipple from my old core and placed on this block. My old core has a HOLE where that rod went, but no rod. I don't want to break this off until totally sure.

Max's article (which I like, since I was researching this like MAD yesterday on google and came across similar...his article is better by far) shows the rod in some pics, or what I think is the rod.

I'm so perplexed. If you have ever seen my flowchart, I am at about beer 12 on this and googled out, so I posted this!

I have even read the FSM and Haynes with no luck.
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I got a 90* adaptor from a Cherokee I prefer it over the other options available over the years.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #14
msprooch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Took the threaded nipple from my old core and placed on this block. My old core has a HOLE where that rod went, but no rod. I don't want to break this off until totally sure.

Max's article (which I like, since I was researching this like MAD yesterday on google and came across similar...his article is better by far) shows the rod in some pics, or what I think is the rod.

I'm so perplexed. If you have ever seen my flowchart, I am at about beer 12 on this and googled out, so I posted this!

I think you need more beer then you won't care anymore and just yank it out.
msprooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The pics in the link are fairly blurry, but I think the part the author refers to as a "little tube" is what you are describing on your 4.0L block.

I don't think it's a "tube" at all. I believe it to be a roll pin, as previously mentioned by dodger889, that keeps the adapter from spinning.

If you are NOT using a 90 degree angle adapter, I think it should be removed, as opposed to breaking it off.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.