JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   what modifications are needed to swap Ba10 for AX15 (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/what-modifications-needed-swap-ba10-ax15-572434/)

BA-YJ 06-19-2008 12:09 AM

what modifications are needed to swap Ba10 for AX15

I have an 87 YJ with the 4.2 and the BA10. I am looking for info on swaping my stock BA10 for an AX15. I have heard this is a mostly blot in swap. I have also heard that there are issues with the output shafts being different spline. I want to keep my stock transfercase because I already installed an SYE kit. Any healp would be great.

Joe Dillard 06-19-2008 12:31 AM

This may help:

http://www.itsajeep.org/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=2406

wickedoffroad 06-19-2008 02:11 AM

I traded the BA-10/5 for an AX-15 and the only thing I had to adjust was the mounting holes for the transmission mount on the skid plate.

wendell 06-19-2008 07:56 AM

Why are you swapping out your BA10? I understand if it's wipped out, but if it's not broken. These trannies are getting a bad rap that maybe they shouldn't. Mine has over 125,000 miles on it and still shifts smooth. Sure, if something goes wrong with it, I'll swap in the AX-15, but as long as it's working fine I'm going to get all the mileage I can out of it and spend money else where. What t-case do you have in it, the 207? When and if I have to swap trannies, I'll do the AX-15 and np 231 combo as there a dime a dozen. I still hear and see a lot of YJ's running a round with thier BA's intact at way over 100,000 miles, thats why I'm not rushing into the swap, if it's not broken, why fix it.

JRD917 06-19-2008 08:43 AM

I have one in mine and i just rolled over 159000 !!!!!

BA-YJ 06-20-2008 12:07 AM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Dillard (Post 5355445)

Thanks that site is a huge help

BA-YJ 06-20-2008 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendell (Post 5355858)
Why are you swapping out your BA10? I understand if it's wipped out, but if it's not broken. These trannies are getting a bad rap that maybe they shouldn't. Mine has over 125,000 miles on it and still shifts smooth. Sure, if something goes wrong with it, I'll swap in the AX-15, but as long as it's working fine I'm going to get all the mileage I can out of it and spend money else where. What t-case do you have in it, the 207? When and if I have to swap trannies, I'll do the AX-15 and np 231 combo as there a dime a dozen. I still hear and see a lot of YJ's running a round with thier BA's intact at way over 100,000 miles, thats why I'm not rushing into the swap, if it's not broken, why fix it.

Mine had 165,000 miles on it when i got it. I started having synchro troubles so i had it rebuilt. It was fine for a while but now im having the same problems. So i thought the AX15 would be a cheap simple solution. I really want to put a T-18 in it (I have one already) but its alot more involved.

metallatem 06-20-2008 12:15 AM

i agree i had mine Over 200,000ks didnt even leak,altho it only saw easy wheelin

Paul_Aris 06-20-2008 06:34 AM

Mine has $221,000 on it. It shifts nice however it does leak. I believe it is the main bearing/seal on the engine end. Anyone know how much to replace. I don't think I have the right tools to do it. But I thought maybe take it out myself and bring it to a tranny shop to get done.

zeus87gn 06-20-2008 07:21 AM

Yuppie,

You may want to check, but I believe the spline count on your 207 has to be right for the AX to mate to it. The 207 works just fine. I have one and it hasn't given me a problem yet. My BA is slowly dying and the Ax swap is in the works. 5th gear screams like a 2yr old that was told 'no'. I opted for a 231 to go with it because my spline is wrong for the AX. I don't know if there is a shaft conversion for the 207 or not. You may want to look and see if your SYE will swap into your 231.

HTH
Z

wendell 06-20-2008 08:23 AM

Yeah, I'm not against swapping to the AX-15 if needed. It's just that the BA is getting such a bad rap thats guy'a are wanting to swap it out before there's even a problem The BA can't be that bad for the kind of mileage were getting out of them. I mean I felt the same way, as soon as I got my 87, the BA was the first thing that had to go from the bad rep it had. But the more I drove it, the more comfortable I got with it. I said "shucks", If it isn't broken then why fix it. Then I got to reading about all the miles you guy's are getting out of your BA's, swapping it out didn't seem so important anymore. French or japanese, the french wins for now. I'll use the money for tires, gears, lift kits, candy and snuff, other things little jeep boy's like.

zeus87gn 06-20-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendell
Mine has over 125,000 miles on it and still shifts smooth. Sure, if something goes wrong with it, I'll swap in the AX-15, but as long as it's working fine I'm going to get all the mileage I can out of it and spend money else where.

With those miles, you better start saving your money for the swap in the future. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when. It will give out....someday. And when it does, don't waste your money.

wendell 06-21-2008 07:46 AM

Well thats the point, sure the BA will give out someday, as does the AX-15. How many post have you read where guy's need to rebuild thier AX-15, replace it or are having issue's with it. All I'm saying is why spend money because it might break, my starter might break as well, so should I go a head and replace it now? On my 89 MJ, 3rd gear was blown out of the BA at 156,000 miles, I drove it around like that for another year. Thats plenty of time to save the money and I still wasn't walking. I never did replace the tranny, I sold to a buddy who is still driving it around without 3rd gear. I mean it had 3rd, it just made such a racket putting it into 3rd, it was better not to use it. Like most, I will be keeping my eye's peeled for a good deal on a ax-15 and 231 to have them on stand-by, at least at this point I'm able to bargin shop as I don't have to have it right now. I can get a new AX-15 and 231 for 2 grand or go used for much cheaper. 2 grand is alot, but it would be new as in peace of mind. I'm not pushed, so I have time to figure it out and which way I want to go.

BA-YJ 06-23-2008 11:16 AM

In most cases i agree with the philosphy "If it aint broke dont fix it". But when it comes to my jeep. Reliability means the difference between trouble free trail riding, and possibly being stranded miles from anything. In that case I feel any precautions should be taken to avoid trouble. If you heard a wheel bearing whining when you cruised down the road you probably would fix it before wheeling. Why should your trany be any different. All I am saying is everyone is going to break on the trail why not reduce your chances of doing so.

The time now is 03:18 AM.