what manual transmissions mate to 4.0? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what manual transmissions mate to 4.0?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 03-19-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
JIBTEXHNKA
1987 YJ Wrangler 

what manual transmissions mate to 4.0?

i might be putting in a new engine, and if so it might be a good opportunity to upgrade the tranny.

i have the ax-15 right now (which i have no problem with) but i'm looking for something heavy-duty, more like the T18. i'm hard on things, so the stronger the better. and i love the dump-truck feel to it.

other than the ax-15, what transmissions will work without adapters?

JIBTEXHNKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 01:39 AM   #2
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Anything behind a second- or third-gen AMC V8 or "modern era" six should work - all have the same bellhousing pattern.

OEM behind the 242ci I6 would have been the Peugeot BA-10/5 (don't bother,) the AX-15 (internal and external variants, not too bad,) and the NV3550 (an improvement over the AX-15, I understand.)

If you have the "external" AX-15, you will have an easier time finding an NV3550 - since you can check Dakotas (I think it's found with the V8-318) and possibly Durango as well. The NV3550 can use the same bellhousing as the AX-15, so you just need to make sure the input shaft has the same dimensions - unless you feel like playing mix-and-match with the clutch goodies.

With adapters, natch, things open up considerably. Why for are you looking to upgrade the gearbox? Are you planning on an OEM replacement engine, a stroker, or what? The AX-15 seems to live fairly well behind even moderate strokers, so I'm just curious.
Unread 03-19-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Somewhat confused on what you "currently" have. Did you already swap the 93 drive line in???? if you didn't, then you do not have the ax-15.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
JIBTEXHNKA
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ok sorry, right now i have the 93 4.0 with the ax-15; the previous owner swapped it in. it kinda blew up on me a couple days ago and if it can't be fixed i was planning on another 4.0, probably remanufactured. so i'm gonna have everything out of there.

i'm not real concerned about the ax-15, and not at all about it handling the 4.0, i know that's not a problem. i was just wondering if there's someone that has a more "truck feel" instead of the "car feel" the ax-15 has, if that makes any sense.
JIBTEXHNKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
jeepdude1987
1987 YJ Wrangler 

NV3550 it is pretty tough and should bolt right up. I don't know about the "truck feel".
jeepdude1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so... are you looking for a trans with a *longer* throw than the AX-15, and more play in the shifter? That and longer shift times, maybe a heavier clutch, are about all i can think of that would make it a "truckier" feel.

A longer throw would be RETARDED. The AX-15 already takes your arm all over creation going from 1st to 5th. Feels pretty "truck" to me as it is. Compared to the manual sports cars I've had or driven that is. But then I'm putting in a short throw shifter in my AX-15, so I guess we just have have different preferences.

I vote NV3550. IF you really want a new one. You could just get a new clutch that feels different and extend the shifter arm too, if you felt so inclined. Save you time and money I would think, probably achieve the same feel.

97 TJ Sport black on black with MT/R Kevlars and lots of new parts coming!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

My Fuelly page (fuel economy and usage tracking)
sprowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you just want shorter ratios and some hop then try regearing your axles. Honestly my Jeep feels just like a truck. Shift clutchless on the way up and double clutch on the way down.
the_mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
crockk9
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If money is no object and you want a beefy trans man trans has a NV4500 conversion kit that would probably keep you happy. Found it on ebay last weekend.
crockk9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.