What locker do I want - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What locker do I want

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-11-2001, 12:18 PM   #1
jeepnmud

What locker do I want

I want locker for the front of my 95YJ, but I'm not sure if I should get the soft-locker or the air-locker. I have 2 problems...... 1. I am new to this location, so I don't have a mechanic that I trust yet. 2. I am a woman so I am getting a bunch of crap. So I thought I would ask the perfessionals. What are the ups and downs of both. I'm thinking of an air locker.
Jen

jeepnmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2001, 12:43 PM   #2
evilpsych

well if you got the $$$$$$ go with the ARB.. have you upgraded the ring and pinions in your diffs? it's especially important if you have larger than normal tires.. will save you a bit on gas and your acceleration will be a bit better too.. (wont stall the engine) if you havent done your tires yet.. i'd hold off on installing the locker, unless you have no desire to go to larger tires.. the ARB costs bout $650 per axle i believe, not including labor.. anyway.. if you get the gearing upgraded at the same time as the locker install, it'll get it done while the diff is open and dismantled which will save you money if you decide to do it later. I recommend at least 4.10 gears if you're goin bigger than 31" tires.. there are a lot of sites that have a nice graph that show you what RPM range you'll be in for a given tire size and gearing..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2001, 12:45 PM   #3
evilpsych

oh.. there are no ups or downs with the ARB air locker, it acts like an open diff when it's off and it's one of the best, if not the best locked differential when it's on. in a rear application, it saves you from roasting your inside tire on the streets by keeping it open on the road.. also reg lockers handle a bit different in slick road conditions..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2001, 04:30 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

One of the guys in our club has ARB in front and back .. and his only complaint is the hoses .. he can never get a decent seal to keep the air going properly.

His other complaint is the hole drilled into the housing .. he has had a leak or two there.

He says overall, its a decent setup, but here in Canada, its a very expensive setup.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2001, 06:44 PM   #5
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've been running ARBs a long time. Ran them in my stock axles, and wouldn't have anything less in these double-throw-me-down-*****'n axles. I have never, repeat never, had the air leaking problems that everyone tells you ARBs have. Granted, you have to pay a great deal of attention to your air system. You want to make sure your lines are properly fitted and run so as not to get caught up on anything and not too close to anything hot such as exhaust.

Also, don't waste your time with the ARB compressor. It's junk. Absolute junk. I went thru three of those damn things.

Now those lockers I ran in my stock axles did not come without problems. The first locker installed in my Dana 35 lasted about 3 years then the cross-shaft broke. ARB footed the whole bill. Locker, ring & pinion it destroyed and labor. The second locker, same problem, another busted cross shaft. When I called ARB they insisted my axle was bent. I insisted it was the locker since the 4x4 mags had just touted their new design (with a bigger cross shaft of course) for the Dana 35. I had to take the axle to MIT for inspection. MIT checked and it was bent, but not enough in their mind to cause the failure. ARB agreed to send me the newly designed locker at their cost. I had the axle straightened and the locker installed at my expense.

I didn't have any other problems with the locker. The Dana 35 and Dana 30 axles are both under my son's Jeep now and he hasn't had any failures either.

Most of the stuff you hear about ARBs are just rumors. Stuff guys pick up from other guys and they spread these rumors as if they were fact. I don't dispute your story one bit Naekid. You were specific. But most guys say "I see them breaking all the time." Or something along those lines. I tend not to believe them. Unless the lockers they're seeing are the old design, which came off the shelves like 4-5 years ago.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2001, 02:43 PM   #6
Cody_91YJ

If you can afford it, then definately go ARB. I have see 2 rigs tear lines on the trails, but I think that was due more to not thinking out installation as far as the hoses were concerned.

If you don't go ARB, I'd go with a Lock-Rite or No-Slip. I run one up front and never had a problem and haven't heard of anyone having problems with them either
Unread 11-13-2001, 04:06 PM   #7
RodeoRob

Quote:
Originally posted by Cody_91YJ:
I have see 2 rigs tear lines on the trails, but I think that was due more to not thinking out installation as far as the hoses were concerned.
Of course you could always go with an OX... same deal with the ARB in being selectable, but uses a cable (thick one at that) to activate rather than air lines. Cost is about the same as well, maybe a little cheaper when you figure on not having to buy an air compressor. They are relatively new to the market... I've heard nothing but good remarks about these, but then again ARB has the history.
www.oxtrax.com

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.