What leaf for SOA Full Width - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What leaf for SOA Full Width

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
lawson1603
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What leaf for SOA Full Width

I sure its been coverd a 100 times but cant find the right thread but I sold my jeep and bought one already on full width axles d44/10.25 and i guessing by measureing its got 4'' lift springs on a soa setup. Its a little tall for me and would like to lower my COG. What spings are you all running in the situation im not against alittle added will base. My jeep is used mainly for trails. Was thinking stock but they are hard to find. Thanks for your help!!

Would like pictures.

Unread 09-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

ive always used 2"-2.5" springs. once they get good and tweaked they will make your jeep sit around 25" to the frame. im shooting for 24" myself so im redoing the suspension a bit.
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson1603 View Post
I sure its been coverd a 100 times but cant find the right thread but I sold my jeep and bought one already on full width axles d44/10.25 and i guessing by measureing its got 4'' lift springs on a soa setup. Its a little tall for me and would like to lower my COG. What spings are you all running in the situation im not against alittle added will base. My jeep is used mainly for trails. Was thinking stock but they are hard to find. Thanks for your help!!

Would like pictures.
XJ springs, with a couple extra xj leafs in each. they are dead flat, so no lift at all. Running 39.5's now but 42's would fit easy. springs gave me a 13" WB stretch.

Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

AHHH poke I love your rig.... its my inspriation for my futre full width V8 build, wnet SOA last year, but getting hte itch again to go bigger, lol...

frickin jeeps

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
lawson1603
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick replys!!!

fratis- thats what i was thinking maybe a set of BDS 2'' but just but the springs out of the kit i think my shocks are better and will work!

Poke- If no body has said nice rig..ha but i was thinking xj in rear but wasnt sold on the front at the time. with adding main leafs help from bending them and help keep them flat?

Thanks guys
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

i got BDS springs for a project without the kit. ordered them factory direct and had them shipped to a dealer that was close to the build site. i never actually buy lift kits. i also never use springs right out of the box. i prep them by: rounding the ends, pulling the clamps, cutting off military wraps, and incorporating full length teflon liners.

i once had a custom set of main leafs done by a spring shop. they would make them any length so i had them made a couple inches longer. had them make the eye large enough to sink a large RE flex joint inside. lots of options.
Unread 09-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson1603 View Post
T with adding main leafs help from bending them and help keep them flat?
yes.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Flingit1200s
2009 JK Wrangler 

Fratis.....any links to a thread that has pics of how you reworked your bds springs?
"Rusty" is a 2009 JK, "X", 6spd, 2.5" Rock Krawler, Fox shocks, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs, AR Baja 15x8, Tuffy console, PIAA Fogs, 4:56 gears which are too low for this tire size, JCR front bumper, Warn winch.
Flingit1200s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

no im not much for build threads. dont have time to take pics and all that. ill see if i can dig up some old pics.

ok this is the best i have. you can see the clamps on these springs have been bent upwards. the previous set i welded on my own clamps that were longer and had a bolt running through the "ears." you can see the teflon between the leaves. this set has the shortest leaf removed. i didnt like how thick it was and how it was shaped. i eventually replaced it with a short leaf from the previous leaf pack that had a better shape. no "anti-wrap" perches because i think they are useless and only hinder flex. i did rework the perches to sit as close to the axle tube as possible. if i were to do it again i would cut them down further. the springs got good and tweaked/sagged and worked well.
Unread 09-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
lawson1603
1987 YJ Wrangler 

fratis- if you don't mind and you get a chance can ya rough measure the 2'' springs you got. Like from eye to eye of spring down to the middle of the spring. just to see what the actual hight is with weight on them

one last thing is when i apply my brakes at a med speed the front axle tilts about 2'' down with the brake momentum, is this not hard on the leaf ane im sure its not suppose to do that any ideas?

Last edited by lawson1603; 09-08-2011 at 09:04 AM..
lawson1603 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

that would depend on which spring i measured they are all a bit different. im not one of those guys who fusses over my jeep leaning 1/4" one way or another. haha...

edit: ok with the front on jackstands and the jeep stripped the rear spring measures aprox 45" from hole-to-hole, and about 3" from the spring plate up to the plane of the spring bolts. on its tires and with everything attached again id think the length would increase slightly and the vertical measurement would decrease a bit.

i would gather a lot of guys front axle does the same thing. there is nothing inherently wrong with axle wrap itself. it is what the wrap can cause that is what is bad. broken ujoints etc. trucks get all kinds of wrap but its ok because their driveshafts are so long and the angles are so gentle that nothing comes of it. this sort of applies to our fronts as well. if nothing comes of it no worries. there is a guy on here that made a front anti-wrap bar as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.