What kind of rear end is on my Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What kind of rear end is on my Jeep?

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #1
GooseAbuse

What kind of rear end is on my Jeep?

How do I identify what kind/size of rear end my Jeep has? I went to check the rear fluid and instead of a bolt in the fill hole there is a rubber Dana plug. "350" is stamped on the diff and Dana logo is on diff cover along with some more numbers.

Is there a trick to removing the rubber plug or can I just pop it out with a screwdriver? I don't want to booger it up.

[url]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c148/GooseAbuse/Jeep02.jpg[/url]

1999 WJ fo-by-fo with a fo point O
GooseAbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
GooseAbuse

Nevermind the dumb "what kind of axle do I have" question. 35C.

What about the plug? Just pop it out?

[url]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c148/GooseAbuse/Jeep02.jpg[/url]

1999 WJ fo-by-fo with a fo point O
GooseAbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

The plug should just pop out

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
northjeep
Jeep parking ONLY

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseAbuse
Nevermind the dumb "what kind of axle do I have" question. 35C.

What about the plug? Just pop it out?
it is a ***** though...I used two flat head screw drivers from either side....otherwise....just take the cover off...inspect the crappy gears in there, and pop the plug out while the cover it off.
Unread 03-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If the rear diff cover looks like this except it has the rubber plug like you mentioned - yep, it's a D35. This cover is for a D35 too, but just an earlier model non c-clip D35.

As far as the plug goes....they tend to get brittle and easily crack and tear over time. Be carefull removing it because you can easily tear it & then it'll start leaking fluid and be a mess.

If you do decide to change the fluid, simply remove the whole cover carefully so as to not give yourself an oil spill, then remove the plug from the inside pushing it gently out. Clean the mounting surface of the diff & cover. Inspect the diff internals paying close attention to the gear wear and potential chips in the spider, side, and ring & pinion gears and also clean all the fine metal shavings out from the bottom. Apply some RTV gasket sealer to the cover & mounting surface. Reattach the cover. Refill with appropriate grade oil, then put the plug back in. I also like to spin the diff while it's opened up to further inspect things.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.