What the heck is this and is it causing grinding? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What the heck is this and is it causing grinding?

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Count Down to KOH Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
bthompson12994
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What the heck is this and is it causing grinding?

I did some quick searching and found nothing. I bought my second Jeep today. I sold my 2004 rubicon earlier this week and got behind the wheel of a 1988 2.5l yj today. On the 2 hour drive home it was doing great and I was handling the 5 speed alright (never driven stick before)(I'm only 20). After about an hour and a half it started grinding in every gear except 4th. I limped her the rest of the way home in an angry panic. Now I'm not scared to tackle a project and most times I pull through alright, so I climbed underneath and gave a quick inspection to find this random plug looking thing hanging from the passenger side of the tranny. What the heck is this? Where does it go? Will it fix my grinding problem or am I out of luck.

img_5355.jpg  
bthompson12994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
bob8619
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think thats the reverse light switch. Whats left of it anyways.
bob8619 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
bob8619
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The part that goes into the tranny housing has a metal ball on the end. I suppose its possible that the ball popped into the transmission but I doubt it. So, it could be related to the grinding but maybe not.
bob8619 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the Yj world. You would be best off draining the transmission and looking very closely at what comes out. Note the color. The brass synchro gears can start shredding and then when enough pieces are lodged inside they tear up the harder steel components. However, you may jus be low on fluid.

Have a looksee and welcome to the square side.
Unread Today, 11:21 AM   #5
bthompson12994
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's the 5th gear switch, broken off. No big deal as far as I can tell.
Unread Today, 11:24 AM   #6
bthompson12994
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all of your input.
Unread Today, 12:02 PM   #7
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

never heard of a 5th gear switch... whats its purpose?

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 01:07 PM   #8
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would've guessed its the indicator that controls the little arrow on your dash to tell you when to shift. Either way, your first step is drain fluid and inspect. Do the simple things first. And an added bonus you change the tranny fluid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.