JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   What happened to my transmission??? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/what-happened-my-transmission-1525168/)

Jeeperez 05-18-2013 06:38 PM

What happened to my transmission???

Completely at a loss here, maybe someone can tell me what happened to my transmission!

I was driving the highway to Go Topless Day when about ten minutes away from the place and almost 2hours driving averaging 65-70mph at 2500-3000 rpms, when out of nowhere the transmission starts grinding a lot forcing me off the road. It now acts as if he shifter is in neutral but the transmission is still stuck in 5th. It no longer drives! Just put synchromesh in a little over a month ago, it's the ax5 transmission with 241k

Thanks!

Jeeperez 05-18-2013 06:40 PM

Also must note, it gave no warning except a "whirring" noise in 5th (which has been doing for over 40k miles)

HurricaneRZA 05-18-2013 06:51 PM

Sounds like you lost 5th gear. Mine would whirr then it became a CLACK CLACK CLACK
The FAQ has the write-up for a new collar on the 5th gear.
But maybe your 5th slipped and started grinding up and binding stuff instead of sliding out of the way?

Jeeperez 05-18-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA
Sounds like you lost 5th gear. Mine would whirr then it became a CLACK CLACK CLACK
The FAQ has the write-up for a new collar on the 5th gear.
But maybe your 5th slipped and started grinding up and binding stuff instead of sliding out of the way?

It must have, the shifter is in neutral, but will not go into any gear. But transmission is still in gear (5th). Also smelled really burnt, like a mix of gear oil and burnt popcorn

Louie4 05-18-2013 07:17 PM

Sounds like you may need to start looking for a new transmission. From what you describe it sounds like it's done. If you do replace it, go with an AX-15 from a 6 cylinder. They are a lot more durable than the AX-5.

Jeeperez 05-18-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louie4
Sounds like you may need to start looking for a new transmission. From what you describe it sounds like it's done. If you do replace it, go with an AX-15 from a 6 cylinder. They are a lot more durable than the AX-5.

Would love an AX 15 but already have another AX5 from a parts jeep. Just a matter of whether or not it HAD to be changed. Can't win with this darn jeep....

Louie4 05-18-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeperez (Post 15450517)
Would love an AX 15 but already have another AX5 from a parts jeep. Just a matter of whether or not it HAD to be changed. Can't win with this darn jeep....

I would put the donor AX-5 in and crack open the old to see the damage. I wouldn't rebuild it though. Not worth it.

HurricaneRZA 05-18-2013 08:24 PM

If you can swap in the second ax5 while you source another tranny ax15/convert to another like an NV tans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louie4 (Post 15450612)
I would put the donor AX-5 in and crack open the old to see the damage. I wouldn't rebuild it though. Not worth it.

x2

cheapest local shop wanted $1000 for the rebuild minimum. The tranny isn't even worth a third of that :(

Jeeperez 05-19-2013 05:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What I'm thinking of doing is swapping in the donor AX5 and sell. For me it's no longer worth it, I'm continuously fixing and putting way too much money into it. I've lost my money on this Jeep, and I don't feel safe putting my daughters in it (oldest is 16 months and youngest is 3weeks old).

I want something I can upgrade and wheel not fix fix fix. This is the second YJ I've owned and they are not reliable. My family thinks Jeeps suck because of these yuppie jeeps!

Attachment 628249

Here she is getting towed yesterday, didn't even make it to Go Topless Day! >:(

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum

Louie4 05-19-2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeperez (Post 15451489)
What I'm thinking of doing is swapping in the donor AX5 and sell. For me it's no longer worth it, I'm continuously fixing and putting way too much money into it. I've lost my money on this Jeep, and I don't feel safe putting my daughters in it (oldest is 16 months and youngest is 3weeks old).

I want something I can upgrade and wheel not fix fix fix. This is the second YJ I've owned and they are not reliable. My family thinks Jeeps suck because of these yuppie jeeps!

That's understandable and I'm sorry about your bad experience.

You may have just got a bad one (2.5L & AX-5) because I have a different experience. I've had mine since I was 16 (12 years ago) and it's been the most reliable vehicle I've had short of me doing the damage. It currently has 308K miles and going strong. Of course I enjoy wrenching so I never have any qualms with fixing/maintaining it. I will say it helps to have an efficient daily driver which is why I have a Honda.

Well I'm off to drive to the trails. If you do get another, make sure it has a 4.0L and AX-15.

Jeeperez 05-19-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louie4

That's understandable and I'm sorry about your bad experience.

You may have just got a bad one (2.5L & AX-5) because I have a different experience. I've had mine since I was 16 (12 years ago) and it's been the most reliable vehicle I've had short of me doing the damage. It currently has 308K miles and going strong. Of course I enjoy wrenching so I never have any qualms with fixing/maintaining it. I will say it helps to have an efficient daily driver which is why I have a Honda.

Well I'm off to drive to the trails. If you do get another, make sure it has a 4.0L and AX-15.

Yeah my next Jeep will no doubt be a six cylinder, AX15 combo. My 2.5 runs strong but ticks like a diesel.

My wife and I own a 98 XJ as our DD but would love to be able to take the Wrangler every now and then.

But with the amount of problems and rot this YJ has I think it's time to wash my hands.

I would like to know what happened though so I will post here when I crack open the old AX5 and take a look. Thanks for the help, guys.

:cheers:

pasinbuy 05-19-2013 09:40 AM

I might see the problem.

Your Jeep is all stock. She might be trying to tell you to build her by the break downs.

My 94 has been very dependable.

HurricaneRZA 05-19-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasinbuy (Post 15452026)
I might see the problem.

Your Jeep is all stock. She might be trying to tell you to build her by the break downs.

Just keep swapping broken things and you'll have a new jeep in no time!

Jeeperez 05-19-2013 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pasinbuy
I might see the problem.

She was lifted!
I had 4" RC lift with 31s
The ride quality was crap and the poor jeep could hardly move. Plus a new job I was forced to revert back to stock for the commute

Attachment 628370

This is what she used to look like

pasinbuy 05-19-2013 12:43 PM

Nice jeep. I was just kidding around with you. You will be happier with a 6 cyl.

The time now is 05:29 AM.