Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

what gas mileage should i get

2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Natedogg0669 
#1 ·
89 jeep with 4.10 gears and a 4cyl and is a manual

#4 ·
:agree: if you cared about gas mileage you shoulda bought a honda. i think im getting around 10 with mine. 20 gallon tank and i get around 160-175mi per tank. luckily my dad is head software engineer for exxon so uhh...free gas baby...for life....im laughin all the way to the gas station.

#5 ·
You should get somewhere between bad.. and lawn-mower.... each engine and driving style is different... on the Jeep I am getting a bit like 220 to a 20gallon... which makes my Xterra look Super fuel effiecient @ 260 on 16gallon.. my X should get much better but it is so darned fun to drive it @ 90mph..

#8 ·
mean90yj said:
:agree: if you cared about gas mileage you shoulda bought a honda. i think im getting around 10 with mine. 20 gallon tank and i get around 160-175mi per tank. luckily my dad is head software engineer for exxon so uhh...free gas baby...for life....im laughin all the way to the gas station.
...... what is exxon and how do i get to work there i want free gas :confused:

#9 ·
exxon mobile...you kno, the largest company IN THE WORLD. they own all the gas stations that say exxon, mobile 1, and exxon mobile...:thumbsup:

#11 ·
I agree it is a Jeep who cares about gas mileage, as long as you are not having to stop at ever gas station you drive by.

30% of your gas mileage is determined by the driver and how they drive. The other 70% is the car.

#12 ·
with my 95 wrangler, 2.5l, manual, 4.10 gears, and 28" tall tires i get about 200 miles to a 15 gallon tank, which is about 13 miles per gallon...p.s. i have a heavy right foot

#13 ·
Im getting around 210-220 to a 15 gallon tank and I still havnt put 15 gallons in when I fill up. One day im going to put a gas can in my car and run it till it stops, then well see what I should be getting :-D Soon as it worms up im changing to 20 gallons :2thumbsup: aswell as removing the Carpet, Back Seat, and Top. I should get semi decent mileage for a jeep... :rofl: :rofl:

#14 ·
The more stock, the better.

I'm running 95% stock, including stock wheels, 28" tires, stock suspension, etc., and I'm getting about 20 mpg in the winter and almost 23 mpg on the highway when it's a little bit warmer out. Keep in mind, this is mostly flat ground and I drive it like it's on ice 365 days/year.

370 miles on a 20 gallon tank before I start to worry.

#15 ·
Exparrot's yj said:
The more stock, the better.

I'm running 95% stock, including stock wheels, 28" tires, stock suspension, etc., and I'm getting about 20 mpg in the winter and almost 23 mpg on the highway when it's a little bit warmer out. Keep in mind, this is mostly flat ground and I drive it like it's on ice 365 days/year.

370 miles on a 20 gallon tank before I start to worry.
I want to know what that 5% aftermarket is because its doing somthing :eek:

#16 · (Edited)
Java said:
I want to know what that 5% aftermarket is because its doing somthing :eek:
Free-flowing cat, high-flow exhaust, and properly inflated tires. It's been this way since I bought it four years ago. I make sure everything's tuned up and I keep the weight to a minimum at all times. Bottle of iso-heet for the cold weather once in a while and 99% of my miles are on the highway.

But then again, someone else said it's 30% driver, 70% jeep. And I drive like I'm 85 and can't see over the steering wheel...:droolie:

#17 ·
You know what sucks, when I had stock tires, I got 21.5 mpg with the manual / 4.0. When I went up to 31's I lost 4 mpg! Goin to 33's, can't wait to regear...

#18 ·
I get 15-18 mpg with my '92 Renegade 4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 31" BFG M/T's
and a 20 gallon tank. I have noticed that since the ethenal was put in the fuel my milage has decreased. I used to get 300-320 miles per tank but lately is in the 260-270 range.

#19 ·
Exparrot's yj said:
Free-flowing cat, high-flow exhaust, and properly inflated tires. It's been this way since I bought it four years ago. I make sure everything's tuned up and I keep the weight to a minimum at all times. Bottle of iso-heet for the cold weather once in a while and 99% of my miles are on the highway.

But then again, someone else said it's 30% driver, 70% jeep. And I drive like I'm 85 and can't see over the steering wheel...:droolie:
ahha Im so used to driving my old car, going from 400hp in a 2600 lb car to 70hp in a 4000 lb truck is a big jump for me lol! I might still have a bit of a heavy foot :brickwall If I ever do a motor swap on this jeep it will be to a 350 or maybe a 408 :2thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.