what ford injectors work with the 2.5L? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what ford injectors work with the 2.5L?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #31
jerseyrider1119
1995 YJ Wrangler 

if anyone has 4 injectors left PLEASE let me know.. thanks

Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.

I only read the pictures!

95 Rio Grande- 4" Pro Comp lift, 235x75r15 on stock Alloys, Boomerangs, Piolet Trail Lights, Hurc'd, No Sways or Trac, Custom Under Dash Wiring Harness
jerseyrider1119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #32
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJcoYJ View Post
to my door a set of 8 for $46 of ebay just now

maybe i'll find another 2.5er guy to sell the other 4 to
I'll take em
profile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #33
Complete_Loser
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrdriver View Post
In the beginning there was confusion:

Lets take a look at some Ford Fuel Injectors since those are the popular ones. The one everyone touts is the Ford Design II 'Yellow' 19lbs Fuel Injector. The Injector is a Bosch/Delco and is rated at 19psi/hr. The color helps make a quick ID. Each of Fords fuel injectors are color coded. The Design II's have a plastic upper housing with a metal lower housing. They have a slot on neat the top that holds the retaining clip which holds it to the fuel rail. The Design II Yellows can be found on several different cars but the most common is the Mustang 5.0L. There is a Design III Yellows that is used on Ford Explorers. These are easily spotted by the all plastic design. They do not use a retainer clip and are held in place by the fuel rail itself.

It is also worth noting that the plugs for the Jeeps are known as EV-1's. It seems the the Explorer Design III's are one of the few with the older EV-1plug on the newer injector. There are adapters available to use the EV-1 plug on a EV-6 Injector. Both the Yellow Design II and the Design III's use 4 jets. The Design III's are supposed to have better atomization then the Design II's.

Getting dirty:

Tools required:

11mm Socket
13mm Long Socket
Ratchet
Ratchet Extension
Standard Screwdriver
Jar
Rags
Tape
Pen

After thoughts:

Well according to all of the information above, the 19lbs Fuel Injectors will probably work well on a YJ with some mods. (Test vehicle: 4.0L TB, TBS, Hi-Flow cat, cat-back exhaust, PD Ignition). Otherwise, it might be good to try out the 17lbsDesign III injectors. If you have a TJ, you will probably want to use the 24lbs Injectors.

Now on a YJ, I quickly noticed a difference in the exhaust. It sounded a bit more throaty. Around town driving didn't really change. What I did notice was when rev'ing the engine over 4000RPM. With the stock injectors, the engine would feel like there wasn't anymore to give. With the new injectors the engine will easily rev over 5000RPM. This is a clear indication that the ECM leans out the fuel at the higher RPM's.

Overall, it was a simple conversion and fairly inexpensive with used injectors.

Part Deux:

So far I have done this several times over now. It's getting really easy to swap them out and back without making a huge mess. Previously, I installed Ford Design II D5B in the Jeep. When I got to reinstalling them the second time I had some major problems, the engine ran like crap. I believe what happened is that one of the injectors stopped working or it's connector wasn't on all the way although I did check the connectors. So those were removed and the stock ones went back in for the second time.

This time around, instead of buying Ford Design II fuel injectors I went ahead and tried some Ford Design III injectors. These are supposed to be superior to the Design II's but at the same pressure, #19. The Design III's are a lot smaller and lighter then the old Design II's because they don't use a metal housing at all. They are all plastic. The other major difference is that there are no retainer clips. The injectors are pressed between the intake and the fuel rail so the use of clips is redundant. The other differences is with the jet end. The jet end is much more exposed. The overall length of the injectors is the same though.

I haven't had the Design III's in for very long but they seem to give the same results as the Design II's. The exhaust note is a bit different and the engine seems to freely rev up to 3000rpm which results in a good lump of power. I'm sure reving past 4000rpm is not easier since the engine won't be starving for fuel anymore. Still, I should get a wide-band O2 sensor to get a more accurate reading of the air fuel ratio.

In the original install, I forgot to mention how much fuel will come out of the rail. Well, if you don't take the whole rail off, it's not too bad. A small salsa jar fits perfectly on the intake runner for #1 and #2 cylinders. Still some gas is going to drip from manipulating the fuel rail.

This write up needs to be a bit clearer imo. When talking about cross matching parts, its best to actually mention part numbers. As wall as the size of the test engine.
""Well according to all of the information above, the 19lbs Fuel Injectors will probably work well on a YJ with some mods. (Test vehicle: 4.0L TB, TBS, Hi-Flow cat, cat-back exhaust, PD Ignition).""

I dont know whats being said here? Is this a 4.0L or a 2.5L engine? And is these 19lb injectors rated 19lb at 39psi? Or?....

If you use ford part#0-280-150-717 injectors, they will put you at 21# with a stock jeep (2.5) fuel pump. These injectors are rated at 19#@32psi by ford.

However, everyone is saying you can use any injector from 5.0's, 4.6's, etc etc.
Yet, a part #0-280-150-203 out of a 5.0 will give you 18.3# with your stock jeep pump.
Or if we use part#0-280-150-710 out of another 5.0ford, you are left with 14# with your stock jeep pump.
Or if we use part#0-280-150-718 out of another 5.0ford, you are left with just over 17# at 39psi with your stock jeep pump.

Or, if we use part#0-280-150-943 (commonly refeared to as yellow top injecters) out of a ford 4.6L, you will be left with 17.3#'s with your stock jeep pump! That is BELOW stock injector pressure!*

I appreciate the great write up, but things need to be much more clear when cross breeding engine components. (Not to mention if someone is color blind)

For the love of the dirt gods, what Ford part# injector do i need for my 2.5L jeep?
Part# 0-280-150-203 will yield me 18.3#'s with stock jeep pump
Part# 0-280-150-717 will yield me 21#'s with stock jeep pump

*source= chart at bottom of this thread Login
Complete_Loser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #34
Jeeper_YJ

What motor? I have the 4.0 and want to put the 24# in. Good idea?
'97 Cherokee, 99+ intake, 62mm TB, 703 injectors (new), k&n intake, Hypertech III, 180* stat (1/8" drilled hole), 2.5" manifold 2 tail pipe (Hooker Maxflow & hi flow cat), Perf header, 4.5" zone lift, 32" GY Dura Trac, Rear head rests. Comp cam "231" & Perf head (LS1 BIG valves 2.02/1.62). 3 row alum radiator.
Jeeper_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #35
wingshooter2009
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Need more info on the TJ's with the 2.5L
Black Jeep Society member
Eagle Scout Jeeper #1
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...82&ref=profile
Mecklenburg Mudders Vice President
wingshooter2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #36
redbaron1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

just did this mod last night on my 2.5L 95 yj..took about 10 minutes, and i can feel the difference..awesome mod..and got 8 injectors for 30 buks aint a bad deal.so i have 4 original 2.5L injectors and 4 19lb injectors if anyone is interested!!
redbaron1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #37
wingshooter2009
2000 TJ Wrangler 

which injectors did you use?
Black Jeep Society member
Eagle Scout Jeeper #1
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...82&ref=profile
Mecklenburg Mudders Vice President
wingshooter2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #38
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron1 View Post
4 19lb injectors if anyone is interested!!
Pm sent

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #39
Brown6041
1995 YJ Wrangler 

what is the difference between the design ll and design lll injectors also if anyone has four left over i need some
Brown6041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #40
crankin

I'm a bit confused I am in the process of making a turbo kit for my 2.5 wrangler and need a lil info:
1. what is the rating (#) for the stock 2.5 injectors?
2. so, does the 4.0 TB and the 19# mustang injectors work on 97 TJ (2.5 engines)?
3. And does anyone know what the stock fuel pump is rated for (liters per hour)?
4. and who do I need to talk to for information about the stock computer?
Thanks, Dan
crankin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #41
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have 8 Ford Yellow injectors from a 4.6 Mustang here if anyone is interested PM me.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #42
arsenault397
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just did this mod to my rattle bag and also added a 4.0L throttle body in total used parts 20buck for the TB and nothing for the injectors got 8 off a old 5.0 Mustang took 40 minutes and 4 beer must do mod better idle over all the jeep runs better
arsenault397 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #43
zgravity
2000 TJ Wrangler 

For anyone needing to know what size injectors they have in their TJ's here it is.
96-98 #5030778 Grey top 23.2 #/hr
99-04 #4854081 Blue top 22.5 #/hr
So using a 24 #/hr injector will work just fine with the TJ's.

Ford motor sport part numbers are as follows:
19# injectors, (FMS-M9593-C302)
24# injectors, (FMS-M9593-A302)
Both are rated at 39# pressure.

Cross reference the Ford part numbers to the specific vehicles that these injectors went into so you can go to the right vehicles in the bone yards.
Make sure the injectors are the EV-1 type III injectors as they are the best ones to use.
Hope this helps others who want to do this mod.
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #44
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Almost all ford v8s used the 19 pound injectors as long as its not a huge big block. I used injectors from a ford van in my BMW because the ford injector mod is popular on tons of different vehicles
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #45
1320yj

It may be overkill but my understanding is 1994-1995 Thunderbirds with the 3.8 supercharged motor have even larger injectors than the V-8 cars.I use to own one the 3.8 SC will eat a 5.0.
I believe they are in the neighborhood of #36.

Last edited by 1320yj; 10-16-2013 at 06:34 AM..
1320yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.