What first - Lift or Locker??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What first - Lift or Locker???

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
MMHPAO
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What first - Lift or Locker???

I've got a 91 wrangler, pretty stock, it may have have a 1.5" shackle lift. I'm thinking either an OX locker or an OME 2.5" lift.

The reason I am looking at the OME lift is because it should help with the rough ride, give me a little clearance and all the other reasons you would get an OME lift.

I am looking at the OX Locker because it is cable actuated and I want to avoid installing more crap than I need. And I don't want to have to take the bypass anymore.

Final cost for both is pretty close.

What do you think, and why?

MMHPAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

I'd start with a locker personally, it will take you places that a lift won't
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is this a daily driver? Weekend wheeler?

I would say a winch. Then lift. Then locker. But before the last two, determine what size tire you're going to run in the end. You'll save a lot of trouble by deciding on a tire size first.
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
MMHPAO
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowYJ View Post
I'd start with a locker personally, it will take you places that a lift won't
I feel the same way, but I need to consider ride comfort as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Is this a daily driver? Weekend wheeler?
More of a weekend wheeler, but I do like to drive it around town and to and from work one or two days a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I would say a winch. Then lift. Then locker. But before the last two, determine what size tire you're going to run in the end. You'll save a lot of trouble by deciding on a tire size first.
I'm pretty set on 31" tires.
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you added some comfy springs you might drive it more often what kind of wheeling do you do? Running 31" tires usually doesn't warrant a locker but if you insist on one, stick it in the front axle. Ox is a little overkill but I would recommend a truetrac.
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
YJPete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've got nothing but good things to say about the OME lifts as far as ride comfort. I have a 1.25" on my other vehicle (1994 Isuzu Trooper) and the difference is night and day (its a torsion bar in the front and coil sprung in the back though, so that definitely makes a difference). Back to the original question though, I'd say lift then locker, reason being that you should learn to drive off-road without the locker first.
2.5" on the suspension, 1" on the shackles, 2" on the body, 4.88 Superior Gears, 35" Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar, MSD-6 Offroad ignition box, Flowmaster Exhaust, Warn 9.5Ti Winch, Detroit Tru-Trac Front, Detroit Locker Back
YJPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
dtn8tr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you piece out the OME lift it should be less than the OX locker. I agree that the OX is a little much for 31" and occassional wheeler but that is your choice. With the 31s I would do the OME and shop CL for a winch.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI All,
Not sure why you all are saying that a selectable locker is a bit much for 31's.. I have ARB's front and rear on 31's with a 2 1/2 lift. I use the lockers a lot and would not be without them. I consider them to be the second best mod I have done next to a Howell fuel injection.

As for order, I agree with winch, lift, lockers. But as long as all these mods get done, the order is not very important. They are all needed.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My side by side with 14 inch tires has a locker, my tractor with 5 ft tires has a locker. All depends on conditions and use, not tire size.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
MMHPAO
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have been wheelin' for years and never had a locker or a lift, I agree that you should always learn to ride with what you have got before getting more.

I know a locker will get me to more places I haven't been yet and want to go, but the new springs will get me there in comfort.

An option that I have been considering is the lift and luchbox locker (not sure which one yet) in the front, and waiting for the OX in the back.

I really am not considering a winch since I had one on my last jeep and only used it twice, and in both cases a tow strap would've worked just fine.

Since I am in Southern California, playing usually consists of driving 60-100 miles on the road, 10-20 miles of flat sandy trail, and a total of 100 yards of obstacles. Needless to say, if I can't get through the 100 yards, what's the point of even leaving the house?

I am having a hard time deciding with this one.
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Winches are good insurance policies especially since lockers get you in more trouble than they get you out of sometimes. If most of your driving is on the road I would still push the comfort factor and get the springs. You don't want to be burnt out when you hit the first trailhead. Lunchbox lockers work well in the front axle especially in conjunction with a posilock disconnect. You can control your level of traction on any obstacle if you know what you're doing and not sacrifice an entire paycheck doing so. My advice is to not lock the rear axle. If you insist on a traction aiding device, the Detroit truetrac has had phenomenal success in the Dana 35 with tj'ers and yj'ers alike for years. No lock=no break. Well, not really but it helps out to strengthen the carrier and will increase the longevity of the axle and decrease downtime under the jeep on a very pointy rock (ask me how I know).
Unread 03-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMHPAO View Post
Since I am in Southern California, playing usually consists of driving 60-100 miles on the road, 10-20 miles of flat sandy trail, and a total of 100 yards of obstacles. Needless to say, if I can't get through the 100 yards, what's the point of even leaving the house?

I am having a hard time deciding with this one.
If this is the case why do you need a locker to get through a hundred yards of obsticles. Lockers and winches go hand in hand. With lockers you will get stuck further from help and a winch will most of the time get you out. The first time you use a winch it has paid for itself.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
MMHPAO
1991 YJ Wrangler 

...but the 100 yards is the best part of the trip

Thanks everyone. I think the wife is going to win this one. Probably the lift. Then I will have time to look into the detroit lockers as well.
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My recommendation: first, get the winch. Preferably not one that will last. I've seen a couple smittybilts and milemarkers fail, but never a Warn. I picked up a new M8000 for <$400, and used ones can be had for the same price or cheaper.

If your sticking with 31s, I'd go with a locker in the front. Then get the lift, then once you have some money to throw around, look at a rear axle swap, or beefing up the stock d35. I wouldn't waste money on a 27 spine locker for the rear axle, I haven't read anything good about a locked stock d35, and have been with a guy that broke one on the trail. IMO, it isn't worth the headache and having a stronger axle is worth the peace of mind that it provides.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #15
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I agree that a winch would be my first purchase.

Driving off road is a skill and it takes practice. And driving with out a lift / big tires / locker limits you to the smaller stuff to build yourself up. If you jump straight in with a locker, you're depriving yourself of the experience.

Not to say I know the off-road driving skill of the OP. But that's just my $.02

As for my reasoning behind the winch: yes, lockers are wonderful, as are big tires / lift. They help a lot! But when it all comes down to it, you're gonna get stuck eventually. No locker in the world could avoid that... and when you do, you can guarantee you'll want a winch to get you out!
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift , locker

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.