What do you think? Slave cyl deal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What do you think? Slave cyl deal

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
Zangief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What do you think? Slave cyl deal

Any opinions on this deal? I need a slave and dont have the resources or cash to spend on a extern conversion. That being said....EXEDY 87-88 JEEP 4.0 L / 4.2 L W/ SLAVE CYL CLUTCH KIT : eBay Motors (item 390043045758 end time Apr-03-10 15:08:54 PDT)

Please let me know what you think....They seem to have good feedback.

Thanks fellas

Zangief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I bought one from ClutchCity on ebay for my old 2.5 and it lasted many years. Exedy is good brand. I'd buy it.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

local autozone here in VT... the price is 159 without shipping costs...

might be just as good to buy it that way and get some type of warranty as well

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
bigorangeyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

just purchased mine from autozone less than 10 minutes ago, hopefully i can get it put in this week sometime.
bigorangeyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
Zangief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the autozone route, does it come with the slave? Because thats actually what i need....The clutch kit becomes a bonus.
Unread 04-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
wildride89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

since everybody is around doing the same thing i just purchased a clutch set also from advance auto and its my first time redoing a clutch any helpful hints??? i was having issues and my neighbor narrowed it down to a throwout bearing. during my quest for opinions everyone i talked to said i might as well change the clutch so here i am. any help would definitely be appreciated
wildride89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
bigorangeyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildride89 View Post
since everybody is around doing the same thing i just purchased a clutch set also from advance auto and its my first time redoing a clutch any helpful hints??? i was having issues and my neighbor narrowed it down to a throwout bearing. during my quest for opinions everyone i talked to said i might as well change the clutch so here i am. any help would definitely be appreciated
breaker bar, hammer, an extra set of hands, patience, and beer
bigorangeyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the clutch from autozone does come with the slave cyl. (if you buy the slave separate.. without the clutch.. its more then the clutch with the slave... I know makes no sense at all.. but anyway)

/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
firebrick43

Another thing to have on hand is a pair of bolts the size of the bellhousing to engine bolts but 5 or 6 inches long. Cut the heads off and bevel the cut edge on a grinder. These are now guide studs that help tremendously when reinstalling the tranny.
firebrick43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

For you guys that have internal slaves, I highly recommend going with OEM on this particular part. The aftermarket clutch hydraulics are typically sourced out of China and the quality is very suspect. There are on-line dealerships that quote prices around 33% less than your local dealership, so you can use this quote to see if they will price match. If not, then order from the on-line dealership. The cost will still be significantly more than aftermarket, but when dealing with an internal slave, it is money well spent. For example, I recently went through two clutch masters. One from Schuck's which lasted 18months before leaking internally past the piston making for hard shifts. The second from NAPA lasted two whole weeks. That one was made with a metal bore and suffered a catastrophic failure. The push rod actually went through the piston. Total and immediate loss of hydraulic pressure. All pressure escaped through the reservoir check valve and blew through the vent in the reservoir cap. What a mess. Fortunately I was preparing to back out of the garage at the time it happened. Both of these aftermarket parts were made in China. My OEM replacement was made in the USA. I definitely won't be buying any aftermarket brake masters from anyone for this reason. Yes, the aftermarket parts are warrantied, but they don't cover tow charges or my time that is required to fix what never should have broke to begin with. Let alone the cost involved should the failure cause an accident.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
Zangief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I deff agree in a master with all the internal issues that you can encounter.
But how bout a slave?? Seems like they would all be more or less the same as far as design and operation?
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangief View Post
I deff agree in a master with all the internal issues that you can encounter.
But how bout a slave?? Seems like they would all be more or less the same as far as design and operation?
With an internal slave and all the work it entails to replace, why would you risk it. If poor quality is an issue with the aftermarket masters, it is reasonable to assume the same problem would exist with aftermarket slaves. Several members have reported early failures with aftermarket internal slaves and ended up switching to an external set up due to the aggravation they encountered. If you stay with the internal set up, you are asking for trouble IMHO if you skimp by going aftermarket. The OEM part should last about as long as the clutch. With an external slave, it is easy to replace, so an aftermarket may be worth the risk. For me, it's not worth my time given my experiences with the aftermarket quality found out there today.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #13
eaglesfan8105
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i just purchased a clutch kit from autozone last week i installed it and put the tranny back up but when i went to bleed the clutch it sounds like its pissing out inside of the bellhousing and then leaking out the bottom of it idk if one of the clips on the clutch lines popped out or if i just busted a line.... Anyone have a familiar problem?? and do you think i will have to drop the tranny back down again??
eaglesfan8105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if its leaking at all its got to come back apart

/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #15
eaglesfan8105
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thats what i figured cant get at the lines just gotta take it back down thanks for the advice tho
eaglesfan8105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.