What do you think of this Lift/suspension? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What do you think of this Lift/suspension?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #61
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Decided i am going with a Rubicon express 2.5 lift kit. i have heard good things of rubi express, so they are worth the the try, unless someone manages to convince that they are not good.
here is the link and where i am buying it from: http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...pn=R%2fERE5505
shipping is free so it does not kill me more regarding price. if only i had the money now; i would save like $80 because of a sale going on now. anyway, if i still have my job during the summer, i should be able to get the lift by beginning of August-maybe sooner- or the latest being the end of August. if for any reason i lose my job, then who knows when. if anyone knows of a place that is selling the kit cheaper, please, let me know! also, if anyone has some pics of their own jeep with a rubi express 2.5 lift, i would like to see them. if I decide to go larger tires in the future, i will just add a 1 inch body lift, 3/8 inch shackles, without touching the suspension. bushwhacker flat fenders are on my wishlist too, and those should add some clearance for bigger tires if i get them. but for know, i think i will be pretty content with a 2.5 inch lift and my 31's. I'll put an update when i actually buy the and when i have it installed.

Jrivv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #62
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can't go wrong with rubicon express. They ride and flex near as well as my BDS rear which is also worth looking into.
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #63
Relicmoto
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrivv View Post
That is a straight up 4 inch lift? How's the ride on it? I have heard skyjack is not too good.
Well, I had not been in a yj before I got this one, now it rides better than the only other leaf sprung vehicle I've driven. (Dads '84 Chevy k-10). But before I scrapped the trac bars it rode like a horse drawn carrage being pulled by a funny car. I wouldn't recommend the skyjackers though. They are too stiff to flex effectively. I think that it doesn't look silly because of the extended flairs, they are 7 inches across, and I believe they extend down further about an inch lower than stock.
Relicmoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #64
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Front is rubicon express and the rear is skyjacker.

Which do you think flexes better?
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #65
Relicmoto
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Is the rear flexing at all? Lol.
Relicmoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #66
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
You can't g.o wrong with rubicon express. They ride and flex near as well as my BDS rear which is also worth looking into.
I'll look at BDS but I think it was more expensive than RE.
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #67
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Front is rubicon express and the rear is skyjacker.

Which do you think flexes better?
Evidently the front... the skyjacker looks like there is little to no flex as someone else also noticed
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #68
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relicmoto View Post
Well, I had not been in a yj before I got this one, now it rides better than the only other leaf sprung vehicle I've driven. (Dads '84 Chevy k-10). But before I scrapped the trac bars it rode like a horse drawn carrage being pulled by a funny car. I wouldn't recommend the skyjackers though. They are too stiff to flex effectively. I think that it doesn't look silly because of the extended flairs, they are 7 inches across, and I believe they extend down further about an inch lower than stock.
Ah, so the flares make it look alright. My wrangler is at stock-i think- and I really don't mind the ride at all. I am just hoping that with suspension the ride won't become worse. I wpuld expect it to be better eith a quality lift and installation.. maybe then my mom won't mind being the jeep. As I have mentioned before, my wrangler is old, so I thinka few new parts would be beneficial.
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #69
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You can't go wrong with rubicon express. They ride and flex near as well as my BDS rear which is also worth looking into.

BDS actually turns out to be cheaper than rubi express by $20. Only thing is BDs is. 2" lift while RE is a 2.5 inch. Regardless, BDS and RW aare my main considerations now. Which dp ou think is better? BDS or RE?is RE'S 2.5 worth it over BDS 2 inch?
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #70
jeeptec

Makes a lot of sense. I was going to a 4 inch lift but I like the idea of the 2.5 inch lift and body lift. Easy
jeeptec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #71
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptec View Post
Makes a lot of sense. I was going to a 4 inch lift but I like the idea of the 2.5 inch lift and body lift. Easy
it is a appealing method over just 4 inch suspensions. i did not know that the steeper the suspension, the rougher the ride is, until I created this thread. glad i know now... i avoided having a bad ride and a bad back. I'll probably add a 1 inch body lift sometime after I get the suspension
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #72
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

so my current shocks and springs are quite worn and old... this caused the ride to be somewhat rough.. i can tolerate it, but it's pretty much feel every crack and dent of the crappy roads in my area of MA... leaves the back sore at times. this kind of told that the new shocks and suspension are kind of a priority, since i would like a softer ride, especially since i may be actually driving myself around more soon, if i pass the road test. ha. as of now i am still looking at rubicon express, but i am also looking at BDS. BDS's 2 inch suspension lift looks appealing, and it slightly cheaper than RE, but it does not bring the sway bar disconnects, where RE does bring it. the only thing RE is i have heard that for YJ's, the shocks tend to touch the axles, and some people run the shock upside down to avoid this, but RE says not to use them upside down. apprently this can be fixed with zShock relocation brackets from RE. i don't think BDS doesn't have the same problem... hmmm decisions... decisions... right now i am leaning on BDS though. the shipping is free is i send the kit to some dealer or whatever.
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #73
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, so can someone look at my list of suspension lift parts here and tell me if i am missing anything? the set up seems to fulfill most of my needs, and cost as much as a full lift kit,

here is the list+links:
2.5 inch OME front heavy load leaf springs: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_5032.htm

2.5 inch OME medium load rear springs( they don't have heavy load rear springs): http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_5058.htm

OME bushing hit x4: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_700.htm

Rancho front heavy duty U bolts: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16035_000.htm

Rancho rear heavy duty U bolts: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16035_001.htm

Rancho RS5000 Shock absorber x4(where are the rear one's? do these work for front and rear??*): http://www.quadratec.com/products/16023_005.htm

OEM front axle bumpstop: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52422_0004.htm

OEM rear axle bumpstop: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52422_2000.htm

I hope i am not missing anything else, because this is already expensive enough. turns out to be $795 in total(not including shipping!). I will try to speak to the Qtech guy on here for free shipping. i have already gotten a good deal on quick release mirrors and a price match for a soft top thanks to that Qtech user. if anyone knows where i can find some of this stuff cheaper, or knows of other stuff that will give similar results and is cheaper, let me know!
any comments and posts are appreciated!

just to add this in: i looked at jeep shocks; it looks like the front shocks are Rancho RS9000, and the rears appear to be Old Man Emu shocks. both are expensive shocks. they look pretty worn down and abused.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.