What do you think of this Lift/suspension? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What do you think of this Lift/suspension?

Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #31
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustedWrangler View Post
You need to decide what you want to use your jeep for. If you just want to fit bigger tires a cheap RC or that trailmaster lift is probably fine. If you want to do some serious offroading you need to consider BDS or Rubicon Express springs. If you want to stay with relatively small tires the OME stuff is OK too. I wouldn't advise body lifts, there are better ways to get the same effect (shackles, fender trimming, more spring lift etc)
well, i do not want substantially larger tires... nor do i plan to be a serious offroader. i just want to put a lift on my jeep for looks, but it must be able to survive mild offroading here and and there. you say no body lift. now i am a bit confused. whether to do a 1 inch body lift with 2.5 inch springs and 3/8 inch shackles, or 2.5 springs with just with shackles and no body lift. why do you say no body lift? so much to decide on, but i have a lot of time anyway.

Jrivv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #32
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Combining any of these options is gonna pretty high for 30s. Thats why I suggested doing just springs. Otherwise keep it small and just do a 1" body lift with small lift shackles.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #33
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Like RustedWrangler said, we could build your Jeep and spend your money all day long but if youre just gonna use it to cruise around town then you may want to just go cheap. Most of us use ours for moderate/heavy offroad so we follow that train of thought.
right, i get that. it is a daily driver, so i guess it will be just cruising around around. i just want to get a bit of quality for my first lift. nothing too extreme, but not unreliable either. once i get the first lift in, i am sure i can figure it out in the future for when i get into offroading more.
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #34
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Combining any of these options is gonna pretty high for 30s. Thats why I suggested doing just springs. Otherwise keep it small and just do a 1" body lift with small lift shackles.
i need to put in some new parts anyway. my jeep is old and the previous owner did not maintain it well, it is better that i replace the parts now, then have them break on me later. new springs would be good, same for shackles, and shocks. i may just avoid the body lift. the 4 inch lift looked silly a little bit, but not too much. i do not think i would mind 3 inches on 30's. but i will probably just stick with a 2 ich to 2,5 inch lift. it will be more preportional, and cost less, though cost is not much of an issue, saving some money is nice, but i do not mind investing a few in my jeep.
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #35
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

None of these options wont be quality, but its good to think that way. 2.5" OME or BDS springs and call it good. Mine isnt a DD but ride quality is important to me. Feeling every pebble on the trail would suck. Dont forget some nice shocks down the road too

August YJOTM

Unread 06-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #36
Anticanman
Follow Me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is a DD and I swear by my BDS springs.
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #37
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
None of these options wont be quality, but its good to think that way. 2.5" OME or BDS springs and call it good. Mine isnt a DD but ride quality is important to me. Feeling every pebble on the trail would suck. Dont forget some nice shocks down the road too
i will be using the jeep for school, work, going tot stores and such, and even road trips... i guess the quality the ride will matter to me too. i plan to get good shocks... i am not skimping out on that. i will probably get the shocks anti suggested, and probably the old man emu springs. i can do those, since i won;t be doing a body lift. i decided it is just springs, shocks, and shackles. i will try to keep the springs a height where the ride won't uncomfortable... ride has to be good enough for the girls... haha. now it is just the matter of browsing around and purchasing and installing it. hopefully the father really knows what he is doing, otherwise i will be on here bugging y'all again
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #38
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Mine is a DD and I swear by my BDS springs.
you have BDS springs not Old man Emu's? what tires are you using? your suggested setup seemed good until i found out my tires are too puny for it. ha.
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #39
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have bds fronts as well. Softened it up and lifted it more than the ones I bought it with. Red bushings makes me suspest they were Skyjacker.

August YJOTM

Unread 06-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #40
Anticanman
Follow Me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrivv View Post
you have BDS springs not Old man Emu's? what tires are you using? your suggested setup seemed good until i found out my tires are too puny for it. ha.
I have BDS springs in the rear and rubicon express in the front. I run 35's on the road and 36's offroad. My suspension is unique to the wheeling and daily driving I do. This is just the latest incarnation in the quest for the perfect setup for every trail and parking lot I encounter.
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #41
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have bds fronts as well. Softened it up and lifted it more than the ones I bought it with. Red bushings makes me suspest they were Skyjacker.
freaking bushings for OME are $31 for one leaf spring. that's $124 on just bushings.. pretty expensive for simple little things. so they were not skyjacker then?
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #42
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have BDS springs in the rear and rubicon express in the front. I run 35's on the road and 36's offroad. My suspension is unique to the wheeling and daily driving I do. This is just the latest incarnation in the quest for the perfect setup for every trail and parking lot I encounter.
Big *** tires i would love to have tires that size, but that would mean my MPG would suffer... which means i have to pay for more gas... tires are expensive, and you have two sets of big *** tires... yeesh. the to get the lift to fit the tires, and the tires themselves, i would have an anorexic wallet. the 30's that came with the jeep that bought are pretty bulky, so i am content with my puny tires. great things start out small.
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #43
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
how are the rubi express springs? i am trying to figure out what springs are good. right now OME is my top pick. i would like at least 2 other options to choose from though in regards to springs. and apart from the bilstine shocks, what are some other shocks you would recommend?
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #44
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Dont forget the gearing to push those tires

August YJOTM

Unread 06-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #45
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Dont forget the gearing to push those tires
i have no idea what that means.. but i am assuming it had to do with making my wallet chronically anorexic.. ha. it appears the shackles on my wish list do not give any lift, so with the OME shocks, i would be at just 2.5 inch lift. my question is will a bilstine 3'-5' lift shck be compatible with a 2,5 inch lift? i can;t seem to find a 2.5 inch bilstine shock... and this lift probably won't happen for awhile. i have a few interior accessories along with other jeep stuff i am going to buy first. keeping the jeep at stock lift will save me some gas until i lift it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.