What do you think of this Lift/suspension? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What do you think of this Lift/suspension?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Buy the body lift and shackles first.
ok, thanks. saving up for the body lift and shackles then. should take less than a month. do you have any pics of your jeep with the lift so i can see how it looks? and ofcourse insight is provided here for free, but I do not want to bother all you kind folks so much every time I have a question.

Jrivv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #17
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Buy the body lift and shackles first.
X2

That way when you buy your springs you already have new bushings. When you get your new springs it is recommended to get new U bolts for the axle too.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #18
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrivv View Post

ok, thanks. saving up for the body lift and shackles then. should take less than a month. do you have any pics of your jeep with the lift so i can see how it looks? and ofcourse insight is provided here for free, but I do not want to bother all you kind folks so much every time I have a question.
If you dont start a new thread for every tiny question its not a big deal. We like to help. my jeep is on 3.5" BDS springs with 3/4" shackles and no body lift to give you an idea. My fenders throw off the height perception though (Anti's too). Just read as much as you can or google image search. What size tires are you wanting to run? Most people dont recommend anything more than 33s on the stock rear axle, even eith moderate wheeling, though mine never broke before I upgraded.

August YJOTM

Unread 06-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
If you dont start a new thread for every tiny question its not a big deal. We like to help. my jeep is on 3.5" BDS springs with 3/4" shackles and no body lift to give you an idea. My fenders throw off the height perception though (Anti's too). Just read as much as you can or google image search. What size tires are you wanting to run? Most people dont recommend anything more than 33s on the stock rear axle, even eith moderate wheeling, though mine never broke before I upgraded.
right now i am running 30's. and i do not plan to go any higher. my thirties suit me fine and i rather not use up gas with tires apart from the lift. tires are expensive too. i will look into your set up to see which one I like better. i plan to confine any lift questions and comments to this thread anyway; probably for a few months until i get this lift thing started and done.
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #20
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
right now i am running 30's. and i do not plan to go any higher. my thirties suit me fine and i rather not use up gas with tires apart from the lift. tires are expensive too. i will look into your set up to see which one I like better. i plan to confine any lift questions and comments to this thread anyway; probably for a few months until i get this lift thing started and done.
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #21
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I wouldn't be looking at a 4" lift then, I think it would look silly with 30s. Stick to the cheaper side then, body lift and some small lift shackles. Try to image search 4" lift with 30 tires. But if you like it then go for it.

August YJOTM

Unread 06-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #22
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The rule of thumb is to only get enough lift for your tires to clear. Bumpstops help immensely.
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't be looking at a 4" lift then, I think it would look silly with 30s. Stick to the cheaper side then, body lift and some small lift shackles. Try to image search 4" lift with 30 tires. But if you like it then go for it.
4 inch with 30's does look a little silly... but the extra space leaves room for larger tires if i do change my mind about tires in the future, may be a waste of money to get a big lift when it is not necessary. the lift is mainly for appearance over offroading, but as i mentioned before, offroading is still something i may do so it is nice to have ability to do so with some more clearance i guess the lift will go somewhere between 2.5-4 "
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #24
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

what is the difference between a boomerang shackle, and a normal shackle?
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #25
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The shape. They were designed to prevent inverted springs but for mild offroading you wont need them. Some cheaper generic lift shackles would be fine. Stick closer to 2" for 30s. 31s would probably clear fine as well.

August YJOTM

Unread 06-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #26
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The shape. They were designed to prevent inverted springs but for mild offroading you wont need them. Some cheaper generic lift shackles would be fine. Stick closer to 2" for 30s. 31s would probably clear fine as well.
cool, saves me a lot of money getting normal shaped ones. what are some other good leaf springs other than old man emu? and any specific reason why a 2 inch would be better other than the silly look? ha
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #27
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Taking a step back, personally I would go with just 2-2.5" springs. They are more expensive but it keeps your caster angle stock with the original shackles and cuts out any extra work for the body lift (though its not much). Ive also heard people say that the ride is better than stock with Old Man emu springs.

August YJOTM

Unread 06-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #28
RustedWrangler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You need to decide what you want to use your jeep for. If you just want to fit bigger tires a cheap RC or that trailmaster lift is probably fine. If you want to do some serious offroading you need to consider BDS or Rubicon Express springs. If you want to stay with relatively small tires the OME stuff is OK too. I wouldn't advise body lifts, there are better ways to get the same effect (shackles, fender trimming, more spring lift etc)
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #29
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

BDS makes good springs as well. If you go 4" then you will need to use a transfer case lowering kit or an SYE/cv driveshaft (not cheap) to correct the rear driveshaft angle from vibrations. Like Anticanman said, most guys fit the biggest tire they can on any given height. Try to keep that in mind if youre gonna stick with 30/31s. I could fit 37s on mine in the front with my Metalcloak fenders. There is a guy on here with a TJ with stock suspension running 33s or 35s with Metalcloaks

August YJOTM

Unread 06-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #30
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Like RustedWrangler said, we could build your Jeep and spend your money all day long but if youre just gonna use it to cruise around town then you may want to just go cheap. Most of us use ours for moderate/heavy offroad so we follow that train of thought.

August YJOTM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.