What do y'all think about Sound Bars? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What do y'all think about Sound Bars?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-18-2002, 11:31 PM   #1
Wexxon2000

What do y'all think about Sound Bars?

My Jeep has two tweeters in the dash and nuthin else...except for a cd player with the face ripped out. I need to eaither replace all the speakers, or I can just get a sound bar. I was wondering if the sound quality is good enough to go that route.
thanks to all who reply

Wexxon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2002, 09:00 AM   #2
Big92Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

JC whitney makes a 6 speaker bar! It's then only one I would consider.

~RýcK
Unread 03-19-2002, 10:15 AM   #3
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm in the same boat you are man. I tell ya, all the soundbars I see in the catologs, they don't go into depth on the speaker specs. And the speakers don't look so hot anyways. How much can a 6" speaker really put out?! However, on ebay, they have a custom soundbar for $100!! It has no speakers, but thats better so you can pick what you want in there, and they are designed to hold 6x9's those can really pack a punch. I want a semi-deep tone over the stock 4x6's I got now, but I dont wanna go crazy with subs and amps cuz its a soft top and I'd rather it not be ripped off. My plan is to replace the receiver with a decent CD receiver. Replace the 4x6's and get that sound bar with some good 6x9's. Thats all I really need.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2002, 10:27 AM   #4
GREGDOG95YJ

be careful how you set up your sound bar because if you try to run a multiple speaker setup (dash, soundbar, & sound wedges) all you will here is the one speaker right over your head. the other speakers will seem useless. if all you are going to use is the speaker bar it doesn't matter. good luck figuring out your setup.

"just like all addicts my need to satisfy my addiction far exceeds my wallet!!"
GREGDOG95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2002, 10:54 AM   #5
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would get the cheap plastic soundbar from Rosser and just junk the speakers after you blow them out(they are pretty crappy poly audio speakers i think) and replace them with some better ones that can handle all the power ur head unit has. This sound bar is easy to add to because the plastic is pretty easy to work with.

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2002, 11:25 AM   #6
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

But the bar on ebay I told you about is even cheaper than the plastic one you mentioned. For only $100. As for wiring:
Quote:
be careful how you set up your sound bar because if you try to run a multiple speaker setup (dash, soundbar, & sound wedges) all you will here is the one speaker right over your head. the other speakers will seem useless. if all you are going to use is the speaker bar it doesn't matter. good luck figuring out your setup.
This is only true if you have a 2 speaker setup from your receiver. A decent receiver will have 4 outputs, 2 fronts and 2 backs. SO one for each dash, and one for each 6x9 in the soundbar, and dont bother with anything else like wedges or whatever.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
Unread 03-19-2002, 01:57 PM   #7
vandall

Quote:
Originally posted by Wexxon2000:
My Jeep has two tweeters in the dash and nuthin else...except for a cd player with the face ripped out. I need to eaither replace all the speakers, or I can just get a sound bar. I was wondering if the sound quality is good enough to go that route.
thanks to all who reply
I'm installing two 10" subs & need to build a box for behind the back seat. The subs I bought require the following internal air space:
I went out and bought a pair of 6x9 speaker boxes, a pair of sony 6x9 X-plod speakers and a 300watt amp and mounted the boxes on the rear wheel wel. I have great sound and it cost me $200. I got everything at best buy.

My fried bought a sound bar and his head hits it because of the way it is mounted between the bars.
Unread 03-19-2002, 05:20 PM   #8
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well see here's MY prob with that. I'm a drummer. So when I play a gig, I need ALL that cargo space. I have to take out the rear seat and I used EVERY square foot of space back there. I can't afford to have speakers around like that. Otherwise I would tho.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
Unread 03-19-2002, 05:44 PM   #9
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Another advantage if your bald headed it keeps some of the sun of your head and neck.

I,m allready too red neck
Unread 03-22-2002, 03:38 AM   #10
highway jeeper

I needed more speakers but did not like the idea of the speakers directly on top of my head so I went with the new Centra Pod speakers from 4WD. They sit on the hump in front on the floor. They work really great and have plenty of good volume.

87 YJ, 258, 2 1/2 Procomp, 1 inch body lift, webber carb, juicebox
highway jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2002, 07:22 AM   #11
black yj

i want to replace my stock dash speakers, are they 4x6s? and what is a good replacement, i was told i had to be carful because there was no room with the stock set up.
black yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2002, 09:09 AM   #12
benci007

hey i have a 2 speaker sound bar and it sounds fine, but i get absolutely NO bass. So if thats not important, go for it. But then, you might need subs. The alternative would be to get a box, but that would be expensive. Good luck and happy hunting.
Unread 03-22-2002, 09:28 AM   #13
bigblueyj

off topic and being moved to radios have any questions email me txmudboy83@hotmail.com
bigblueyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.