What do yall think about this Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What do yall think about this Jeep?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
guncrazy72
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What do yall think about this Jeep?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/2581708576.html

I am seriously thinking about going and picking this Jeep maybe even as soon as tomorrow. The spider gear dosent seem to hard to replace from what I have been reading. If I get a chance to look at it tomorrow I am going check over everything well to see if I can find anything else bad or going bad.

What dose everyone think of it? Im sure with anything used I am going to run into other problems besides the spider gears but I am fine with working on things.

guncrazy72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

"It runs and rides great"......but "I broke the spider gear".....

So I guess you'll have to fix it before you know if it really rides great.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
guncrazy72
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
"It runs and rides great"......but "I broke the spider gear".....

So I guess you'll have to fix it before you know if it really rides great.

That is the only down side to it. I have been talking to the guy for the past few days and he said it ended up breaking last night. I dont know if it was just from use or from something he did.
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If what is said is true, it sounds like a decent deal to me. I paid more for mine with less but I was able to drive it home.

BTW, I live just up the road from you.
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

its a dana 35 you can break them driving down the road at an idle.....

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The price doesn't seem all that bad, but not being able to drive it first would be a huge problem for me, unless the price came down. That 3" bl could be deal breaker though.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
BondoBbad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would just be worried about the broken spider damaging the ring and pinion. If that is the case you would need a whole rearend because it would probably about the same cost if not cheaper to get a new gear set plus installation. And why not go ahead and do the 8.8 swap if your having to replace the rearend anyway. Before you know it that $75 part could turn into a lot more. I would definitely pull the diff cover and inspect the ring and pinion. I know when my dana 35 grenaded, I blew a side gear apart and the pieces of that got chewed up in the ring and pinion. By the time I got the Jeep home and pulled the cover it looked like a bomb had gone off in it.
BondoBbad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
dmblair
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's late and I shouldn't be trying to read and comprehend stuff being tired and having had a couple of cold beverages but am I just missing how many miles are on this thing? And like a couple of others have said, 75 bucks will probably not get you going. Theres something wrong with this one (I can't put my finger on it yet, maybe in the moring when I re-read his ad I will) he can't save 75 bucks for a couple of weeks and get it going? Sounds fishy to me!
dmblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
guncrazy72
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to pass on this deal. After talking to the owner more and also finding his other post on CL the whole deal seems odd. It was posted at $5500 the past few days and then all of a sudden he drops the price to $4500. Why drop it a $1000 over a cheap spider gear? I am going to keep looking and hopefully have a running and in good condition one soon!
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Spider gears are going to cost more than 75 dollars, and if you're not handy with a wrench will cost you a decent amount to have them installed. An 8.8 is going to be expensive to install even doing all the work yourself, but a lot more if you have to have someone else do it.
Personally, I would be suspect of a vehicle that I cannot drive before I buy. I would rather find an unmodified or lightly modified Jeep and work on it myself than to buy something someone has already butchered up.
I might buy if the frame were in good shape, the mechanicals seemed good, and if he dropped the price a bit more. If he can't stand to drop the price, then he should have the vehicle fixed so prospective buyers can drive it to determine condition.
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #11
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

maybe i overlooked it, but how many miles are on it?
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #12
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
The price doesn't seem all that bad, but not being able to drive it first would be a huge problem for me.
Same here. On top of that, you are asking about replacing the spiders which tells me even if YOU were to inspect the rear end, you wouldn't know what to look for (which could turn out really bad for you). I personally would never buy something I couldn't drive first for that much money any how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
Quail
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like a pretty good deal if the mileage is not too high.I wouldnt let the broken spider gears scare me, I would expect the spiders to break on a dana 35 with 35 in tires. You need a set of mated spider and side gears from a dana 35( probably 20 bucks at pull a part). Keep in mind thats a temporary fix, THEY WILL BREAK AGAIN !it needs an 8.8 if you want to keep the 35s on it.

Edit, If he has already regeared the dana30 to lower gears then I would be all over it. You couldnnt build a yj to that point for 4500.
Buy it for 4k and be at pull a part in the morning, grab some spider and side gears and an disk brake 8.8 from an Explorer, creap around on the dana 35 until your 8.8 is regeared and ready and you will have pretty nice Jeep for about 4600
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
Bearsma
1997 TJ Wrangler 

:0(...... he took the posting down..... CRAP!!! LOL....
GREEN JEEP CLUB #587
Bearsma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
guncrazy72
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses everyone. I really wanted that Jeep BAD but after thinking on it some more I didnt need to buy something I cant drive first. I am going to keep looking and hope I find one soon. After looking into it more it almost was almost to good to be true with the price he was asking and for what was on the Jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.