what to do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what to do?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
k-bar
1995 YJ Wrangler 

what to do?

Ok so I go to replace my Soft Top Windshield Retainers and this decided to happen. The screws were so rusted that they just broke off and one of them just stripped in the head of the screw...wth? So, I have no idea how to fix this. Ideas...or How To's?? Thanks!

k-bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-bar View Post
Ok so I go to replace my Soft Top Windshield Retainers and this decided to happen. The screws were so rusted that they just broke off and one of them just stripped in the head of the screw...wth? So, I have no idea how to fix this. Ideas...or How To's?? Thanks!
Here is how I would fix it.

Try vice grips to get the remaining screws out. If that doesnt work, cut them off with an angle grinder.

Then get a drill out drill out the screws. Replace with appropriately sized hardware for the holes you drilled.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
jackreynolds93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

if any of them still retain the head and aren't stripped, you could try heating the head, wait to cool, then try it again. for the ones without a head, i would drill all the way through the bolt, starting with a small bit and increasing in size each time you drill through it. repeat this process until you have ONE size larger then the original bolt. you will have to thread the inside again, but that's not hard, just go out and buy the same size tap as the final drill bit you used. you'd obviously have to buy new bolts as well. this method is pretty time consuming but it's what i would do.
jackreynolds93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.