what a difference when brakes are done - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what a difference when brakes are done

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

what a difference when brakes are done

Today I replaced the shoes and pads and wire brushed/ cleaned everything related to the brakes at the axles. The self adjusters for the shoes were frozen solid and I had to soak them for a bit and work them back and forth with liquid wrench to get them to open up so I could clean them properly.

My brakes went from an inch off the floor to an inch from the top. I stop on a dime now. I thought squishy brakes were just an old jeep thing because of how long these have been this way and how my 87 xj had the exact same trouble. Unfortunately, overhauling the brakes didn't fix the xj, even with a new master cylinder and booster it was still squishy.

So, for all you guys who are dealing with low squishy brake pedals, take everything apart and clean it thoroughly and hopefully you get new jeep brakes like I did.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.