What is Difference between SPOA & SPUA Springs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is Difference between SPOA & SPUA Springs?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
schaan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What is Difference between SPOA & SPUA Springs?

I have a set of 4.5" Rubicon Express Springs that were sold to me as a Spring Under Axle Kit. I have been thinking about going a different direction and bought a set of 78 Ford axles (HP Dana44 (with early 70's Ford Flat top Knuckles) - 9" 31 spline) and am envisioning doing a spoa with those springs. Is there any difference between the springs that would prevent that?

All I have is the springs if that matters.
I have to piecemeal whatever parts I need depending on my direction.'

"The" YJ Users Group on the Facebook
[url]https://www.facebook.com/groups/460239123997332/[/url]
schaan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

SOA is Spring Over Axle. The leaf springs are mounted ontop of the axle:

SUA is Spring Under Axle, or the leaf is mounted on the bottom of the axle. Our Jeeps come SUA from the factory:

SOA is a pretty in depth method of lifting your Jeep. On stock leafs you can get as much as 5.5" of lift, mainly you do it for more flex. Done improperly and it will give you nothing but nightmares. I would stick with an SUA setup.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's a lot of lift. I wouldn't ever go with 10" of lift
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
schaan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got that thanks.. Just wondered if anything different than the spring itself since it came from a SPUA kit.. same springs correct?

I run spoa on my sami and love it, even has revolver shackles but I didnt know if there was something inherently different about the RE SPUA kit leafs that would keep them from working as SPOA's springs.

Perhaps I should have asked if they would be a good candidate for spoa to get 37 or 38's under my yj.

I figured I lose some of that clearance with the larger axles but perhaps with 2" lift shackles I could still clear 37's or 38's & go spua/ I just started working on this.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Unread 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
DLWRUBI
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do you really want 10" of lift? It's possible to fit 37's SUA, Just need tube or high line fenders and some trimming. I think stock or the 1.5" RE SOA springs would be more than enough for 37's or 38's as well. I would really think about stretching it either way.
DLWRUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

any tire from 35" up will need metal trimming to make work anyways so at the point of going 37/38 might as well cut rather then deal with the headaches of a SOA on 4" springs. in the long run you will be looking for ways to drop the ride height anyways. many of us have been through this. its common to see 40" on 1.5"- 2" springs SOA.
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
schaan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

no i do not want 10" of lift... I knew I was missing something. I can use stock springs possibly rears? and maybe get 6" then it seems. I would rather go spua and see what I can stuff and do some trimming.

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yep stock springs will be much lower SOA. Just watch the steering and watch out for axle wrap.
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

RE's SOA leafs are a reverse eye design. In other words.....the main leaf eyes have a reverse direction wrap.

The eyes wrap towards the bottom of the leafs vs the tops of the leafs.

I have the RE 1.5" SOA leafs on my POS.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
schaan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

appreciate the comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
RE's SOA leafs are a reverse eye design. In other words.....the main leaf eyes have a reverse direction wrap.

The eyes wrap towards the bottom of the leafs vs the tops of the leafs.

I have the RE 1.5" SOA leafs on my POS.

Thanks Great Help..

Im picking up some flat top knuckles off and early ford D44 to help with steering issues if i go that route. But I am still contemplating and all your comments are helping much. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.