What did you do to your YJ today? - Page 955 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your YJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #14311
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bought Crapsman sockets for my YJ. I will need these for removing my front axle shafts. Hopefully no breakage.

img_1443.jpg  
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #14312
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doninaz2010 View Post
I see all these pictures of these jeeps hyper flexing over rocks and wheels off the ground....do all you guys have Lockers on the axles ????????
aussie lockers front and rear!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #14313
Joe203

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Over the last week or so; Installed new soft top, fixed broken drivers seat from obese previous owner, changed oil, plugs, dist. cap, and rotor. Gunked and high pressure washed engine. Removed rear seat and seat belts. Removed front shoulder belt and replaced with lap belts. Monday it's going in the shop for many things like fluid changes throughout. Repair the heater temperature control and emergency and 4 wheel drive indicator lights. Fix a small leak in the exhaust and check wheel bearing grease and brake pads and shoes. Since I can't find an original 4.2 air cleaner I will make my own as I did on my CJ-3A. My oil pressure sending unit will arrive Monday and if the gauge works all will be fine. If not I'll be looking for an original oil pressure gauge. Then it's install my tow bar bracket bar to the bumper. Then I will install Blazer driving lights but I can't make up my mind whether I want the small or large ones. Of course I'll put in 100 watt H-3 bulbs. Then it's wait for warmer weather and probably have it painted. I think that will be it for quite some time.
Joe203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #14314
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The kids and I washed it inside and out. It was really dusty from the last trip to Anza Borrego/Pinion Mountain Trail. Organized the equipment inside and drove it around the area for a bit. Eighty degrees and sunny. Gotta' love SoCal weather.
Put her back in the garage to wait for the next trip out.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #14315
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I zip tied up some wires that were hanging off the exhaust. Good thing it didn't eat into the wire insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
Bought Crapsman sockets for my YJ. I will need these for removing my front axle shafts. Hopefully no breakage.
I don't think I've ever broken a Craftsman tool, and the lifetime warranty from Sears is a bonus. Snap on however..
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #14316
maddoc
1994 YJ Wrangler 

fixed my window crank, and used it as a parts runner to get new wheel studs for my dodge

maddoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #14317
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Replace intake manifold gasket and exhaust manifold. Ummmmm, is it normal for the exhaust manifold not to have a gasket? At all? No Indian tar stuff or anything. Clean as a whistle? WTF PO? Went amazingly fast though. Only took me ~2.5 hours. No broken bolts or anything. Barely even needed the breaker bar!

Spent 9 hours struggling with replacing the hoselines on the gas tank, however.
The one damn line starts one size and finishes another. If anyone tries to replace it, my advice? Go bigger, not smaller and just clamp the ****er down!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #14318
NavyAg
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did this yesterday and the day before. I removed the heater core/blower assembly in preparation for replacing both the heater core and doing the blower motor mod. The existing A/C unit was somewhat of a pain in the rear to move out of the way without disconnecting the A/C lines. All of the previous posts on how to do this was very helpful though. I did have to cut a larger opening for the blower motor as mentioned in the other posts but I did prime and then paint the opening afterward. All in all, the results were well worth the effort because the volume of air being blown out of the heater or defrost ducts was many times more than it had been before. Now the draftiness of the jeep is not a concern anymore because it will definitely keep you warm. Thanks to all the JF posters who give of their time to posts these mods!
NavyAg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #14319
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, flipping the shifter 180 degrees still wasn't right.

So I cut it, rotated the top around, clamped it on with a vice-grip, and put a rod and a half of 7014 on it.

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #14320
lclark2074
1990 YJ Wrangler 

looks like your motor is too far aft. also ho much body lift doyou have.
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #14321
JeepJezebel
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Getting Closer (not really, just wishful thinking)

Headlight bezels repainted & parking lights put back in. Hood vent put on. New coul seal and windshield finally installed. Finished roll cage install.

As if it's news.... Damn I hate torx!

Still need to:
Replace shattered windshield
Tackle the hood & doors (paint)
New leaf springs
Change all fluids
Find passenger side seatbelt
Buy & install Howell FI (so we can get her smogged and actually drive her)
Paint wheels & get new tires
Replace the brakes
Sell all the stuff we have removed so we can buy more stuff we need
Ad infinitum :
Unread 12-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #14322
Freeze
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This last weekend, I tore down my steering column to replace the turn signal switch and the windshield wiper switch. In the process, I messed up the tumblers in the ignition lock cylinder (don’t ask). Anyways after paying $50 for the locksmith to come out and fix it, I got it all put back together. Though I must have messed up somehow, because the steering is tighter than before and clicks when turning the wheel, as if it’s binding up. Also, the new turn signal is not working correctly. I’m going to have to tear it back down and see what I messed up…
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #14323
pauper
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doninaz2010 View Post
I see all these pictures of these jeeps hyper flexing over rocks and wheels off the ground....do all you guys have Lockers on the axles ????????
Lockers made a hugh difference..at a price tho.. too much skinny pedal and your changing axle u-joints..I carry two extra short side assemblies.. I can swap em out fairly quick now..LOL
pauper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #14324
smudge
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
This last weekend, I tore down my steering column to replace the turn signal switch and the windshield wiper switch. In the process, I messed up the tumblers in the ignition lock cylinder (don’t ask). Anyways after paying $50 for the locksmith to come out and fix it, I got it all put back together. Though I must have messed up somehow, because the steering is tighter than before and clicks when turning the wheel, as if it’s binding up. Also, the new turn signal is not working correctly. I’m going to have to tear it back down and see what I messed up…
I don't envy you. I had a real nightmare doing the same thing. Managed to get it all back together correctly after a few tries, wrong parts, and having to modify the correct parts to fit. i.e. Drilling out the hole that the pin in the wiper switch goes into. Curious how you messed up the ignition lock cylinder though??

As for the binding, did you put all of the parts back in in the correct order and orientation? I can't think what would bind unless you had something in upside down??
smudge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #14325
Freeze
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't envy you. I had a real nightmare doing the same thing. Managed to get it all back together correctly after a few tries, wrong parts, and having to modify the correct parts to fit. i.e. Drilling out the hole that the pin in the wiper switch goes into. Curious how you messed up the ignition lock cylinder though??

As for the binding, did you put all of the parts back in in the correct order and orientation? I can't think what would bind unless you had something in upside down??
The inside of the column had a lot of dirt and grime and evrything was rusted. I was trying to pull the cylinder to clean the houseing. (Told you not to ask) ha ha.
I dont have a diagram or anything to go off of, I was just using my memories. I guess that didn't work (normally doesn't) so I need to find a good diagram so I can make sure I put it together correctly. I figured I messed up somewhere, I just don't know where.
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.