Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your YJ today?

6M views 87K replies 5K participants last post by  ninjakid 
#1 ·
Let this thread be an inspiration to all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs. :thumbsup:

I'll start it off, over the holiday weekend, I did an oil and filter change, fixed a couple rattles, did the front brakes (new rotors and pads), and swapped the brake fluid.

#13,121 ·
lol one of the many winter projects, and to keep this thread on track, i welded my muffler brackets back up and put in my new bent pipe so im not slammin it with my axle every bump i hit

#13,126 ·
Won a local online auction for a 4" YJ lift kit...it is used but actually doesn't look in bad shape. No mfg listed but I'll see if I can figure it out when I pick it up tomorrow. It appears to have military wraps:thumbsup:, the drop pitman arm is there, along with swaybar discos and some other pieces...no u-bolts though. Got it all for $85. I'll put it away for the winter and work on getting my SYE and cv driveshaft for an early spring project.:2thumbsup:
Update...ran down the part numbers on the springs...BDS (not Black Diamond) 3.5" springs:thumbsup:. Some of the paint is off so I will clean them up and paint them before they go on. And if anybody is feeling generous and wants to donate a SYE and CV driveshaft, I definitely wouldn't turn them down:highfive:! lol

#13,128 ·
Well I finished up the dash today. Worked on it till like 2 AM. Then I went in the field across the street to aim the Hella 500 lights I put on it. Those are some bright *** lights.

I didnt take any pics of the dash yet, but Ill post some tomorrow. It looks great. Heres some (crappy) light pics.

#13,130 ·
this all leads up to today...yesterday was my first day out in the jeep and not even 5 mins into it i got 2 jeep waves! i couldnt help but wave and laugh:rofl:. then last night went for my and my jeeps first offroad experience and i gotta say, i had a smile from ear to ear the whole time. so for today, if the rain doesnt wash all the mud off ill hose her down and get workin on some of the electrical gremlins iv found in the past couple days:thumbdown:.

#13,136 ·
I replaced the valve cover gasket, the headlight that blew this am and tried a shadetree exhaust fix (have to wait and see if it holds).
O and i got talked to by the wife about how much time im spending with the jeep and not her.
Yeah, but your jeep is appreciative!:2thumbsup:

"Jeeps will get you through times of no women better than women will get you through times of no Jeeps." -Paul Weitlauf

#13,138 ·
Installed some Currie bomerang shackles on the rear to keep my military wraps from hitting the cross member. Worked like a charm.

#13,139 ·
today I did the Seafoam treatment. It didn't go 100% to plan though. After I put the Seafoam into the intake, I didn't reconnect the hose.. I then waited 30 minutes and turned on the Jeep. We all know what is SUPPOSED to happen next ... smoke galore...But it didn't :dunno:

There was a small amount of smoke that lasted 3 seconds or so then thats it. I could still smell it even though no smoke was apparent. I'm wondering if that means I did it wrong- or if my Heep was just that clean:laugh:

#13,140 ·
Ordered and received my new heater core, cost me like $36. I'll be installing the new heater core and upgraded blower motor on Saturday. I'm looking at a couple of options for replacing the speakers in the Jeep now, I have been driving it a couple of weeks now with no tunes. . . It sucks. lol

After work, I replaced the left front wheel U-Joint, thinking that was causing the knocking/banging noise from the front end, but it turned out the steering gearbox bolts were loose. Tightened them up after we re-installed the axle shaft, hub, brakes, and wheel, and took it for a spin. . . I can't believe I didn't notice the loose bolts, they weren't very loose, but it caused a noticeable looseness in the steering.

I also think I have an exhaust leak, my 4 cylinder YJ is almost as loud as my V8 Firebird with headers and Flowmaster exhaust. . . I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow. I know one of the exhaust manifold bolts is broken in the head, but I'm at a loss as to how to extract it without drilling or damaging the head. I'll probably take it to the same exhaust shop I've been using for years with the Firebird, and see what they find. It sounds like there is exhaust noise coming from under the front right floorpan.