Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your YJ today?

6M views 87K replies 5K participants last post by  ninjakid 
#1 ·
Let this thread be an inspiration to all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs. :thumbsup:

I'll start it off, over the holiday weekend, I did an oil and filter change, fixed a couple rattles, did the front brakes (new rotors and pads), and swapped the brake fluid.

#11,023 ·
New brake shoes in the D35, had one fall apart the other day and make all kinds of silly noises. :mad:

Jake :tea:
Jake it seems everything you've done in the past week has been on those drums! :laugh:

#11,026 ·
Last weekend I had to cut and replace my skid plate/trans mount bolts while in the process of replacing my water filled tf999. I ended up sawzalling the bolts to drop the thing to begin with. Went to the store and picked up some 2"x 3/16" steel and cut 2"x2" plates. Drilled holes in the plate and welded in nuts. Enlarged the original bolt holes in the frame with a step bit which allowed the nuts to fit right up into the frame and the plates to be flush against the frame. Welded the plates to the frame, and after a bit of clean up grinding, sprayed it with rustoleum. Continued to finish the tranny swap. She had been sitting since Nov. of 09' as it is my third vehicle and didn't have the money or time to fix it until school was done.
Then today as I was about to go wheeling, I found out I didn't have 4WD. After pulling the vacuum diaphragm from the front axle, I found a milkshake in the dana 30. Guess the same water that was in my trans got in the front dif to. I ended up pulling the dif cover and spraying out all the sludge with brake clean and changing the fluid. The 4wd fix happened by using an extreme duty very large/thick cable tie to not allow the fork to move to the unlock position. My front axle is temporarily constantly "locked" until I do a home brew posi lock but I don't think it will hurt anything but fuel mileage. Happy I got 4wd back.
Sorry, I didn't have a camera available last weekend, and today I was just trying to get things done before it got dark so pics didn't cross my mind. When I do the home brew posi lock, I will take pics of the cable tie holding the axle fork, so you guys can see how it holds it. I think I deserve a beer :)

#11,028 ·
RockCrusher

After waiting for a year from the time I ordered the cover till when it arrived on my doorstep, I finally got my RockCrusher diff-cover for my rear-axle!!! Seems that they only do the casting for the differential cover after they have enough orders and don't keep a supply on hand. I guess that there aren't many people wanting one for Chevy 12-bolt axles.

I changed my gear-oil at the same time (well, why not, the cover is off anyway) with a blend that is supposed to be good for my factory posi rear-end. I didn't put any friction-modifier in (this time) just to see what happens.

Now I won't be peeling off covers and and dropping my axle-oil in the middle of the trails anymore! :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

#11,029 ·
Jake it seems everything you've done in the past week has been on those drums! :laugh:
You don't know the half of it! :mad:

I may pull the 8.8 out of my garage and throw it under the Jeep sooner than expected if these shenanigans continue!:rofl:

#11,030 ·
Finally reinstalled my towhooks flush with the bumper so a love-tap wouldn't puncture anything and now much stronger to create a safer recover point!

(It was looking like a warthog without tusks. Very sad.)

#11,031 ·
Finally reinstalled my towhooks flush with the bumper so a love-tap wouldn't puncture anything and now much stronger to create a safer recover point!

(It was looking like a warthog without tusks. Very sad.)
do u have pics of where you mounted your tow hooks???? because im not sure where or how to bolt them in

#11,032 ·
You don't know the half of it! :mad:

I may pull the 8.8 out of my garage and throw it under the Jeep sooner than expected if these shenanigans continue!:rofl:

you see the jeep hates the dana 35. it saw the 8.8 in the garage and now wants that. give your jeep what it wants :laugh:

#11,034 ·
I thought about my Jeep, sitting in my parent's home 600 miles away...

#11,035 ·
Found that odd vibration at 50+ mph one of the front u joints was a ball of rust inside and put a deposit on a new d30 and 8.8 both 4.10's 8.8 with a lsd I wanted to get a Detroit but $$$ doesn't allow but it's better than driving around with a grenade with the pin pulled under the jeep.

#11,036 ·
Found that odd vibration at 50+ mph one of the front u joints was a ball of rust inside and put a deposit on a new d30 and 8.8 both 4.10's 8.8 with a lsd I wanted to get a Detroit but $$$ doesn't allow but it's better than driving around with a grenade with the pin pulled under the jeep.
Definition: "Punctuation marks are symbols which indicate the structure and organization of written language, as well as intonation and pauses to be observed when reading aloud. In written English, punctuation is vital to disambiguate the meaning of sentences."

#11,037 ·
Definition: "Punctuation marks are symbols which indicate the structure and organization of written language, as well as intonation and pauses to be observed when reading aloud. In written English, punctuation is vital to disambiguate the meaning of sentences."
:laugh:
:laugh:

#11,039 ·
I found the odd vibration at 50+ mph, one of the front u-joints was a ball of rust inside. I also put a deposit on a new d30 and 8.8 both 4.10's. The 8.8 has a lsd, I would have liked to install a Detroit but, money doesn't allow. Swaping in the 8.8 with a lsd is better than driving around with a grenade under the jeep with the pin pulled.

2nd draft

#11,040 ·
Sanded and primed. Got the passenger side ready for wet sanding and paint. Did the hood yesterday.

Hopefully have the body done by the weekend, then will start on the flares, grill, windshield and doors etc.

Getting psyched for the new freshened up baby and summertime.

:banana: