Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your YJ today?

6M views 87K replies 5K participants last post by  ninjakid 
#1 ·
Let this thread be an inspiration to all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs. :thumbsup:

I'll start it off, over the holiday weekend, I did an oil and filter change, fixed a couple rattles, did the front brakes (new rotors and pads), and swapped the brake fluid.

#87,162 ·
Stopped getting notifications again. :rolleyes:

Did some stuff this weekend.

Daughter worked on her MJ's floor:

Took the failed tires off my boat trailer (the two that are falling apart fell apart literally just sitting there)

Burned the brush pile

Buddy wants me to work on his TJ for him next weekend.

Didn't get any work done on my YJ besides washing it, but I did get a lot of other stuff done. We're nearly ready to start putting the new floor pans in on the driver's side on daughter's MJ. The passenger side is bad enough that we'll have to cut the entire front pan out and replace it like I had originally planned.

Buddy that has the TJ is a heavy equipment mechanic. I wanted him to listen to the engine on the '86 run to see if he had any ideas. He started by pulling spark plug wires off. He noticed two things: the spark is REALLY hot on this thing. Hotter than anything he's ever worked on. He was getting zapped through my welding gloves even though he wasn't grounded and it nearly gave him a heart attack.
Second thing he noticed is that pulling the plug wires off made zero difference in how the engine idled. The timing is WAY off and that's why it's running like crap. Also explains why fuel is getting into the oil. SO... probably has a stuck injector too, but the timing is way off. Easy fix!

#87,164 · (Edited)
Update: my buddy came over again tonight and we were messing with the timing. Or trying to. Found out it's not adjustable. It's at 24° or so, which seems high. So we're hearing a loud hissing sound while running the engine and I've been so used to it at this point that I thought it was a pulley. Well while we were revving the engine and stuff it occured to me that the hissing wasn't really changing. So he poked around and found another broken vacuum line on the intake manifold. We replaced it and BAM! Engine runs perfectly now.

Seriously, it's perfect. No more missing, smells better, not smoking anymore. It still smells rich but it DOES have a pretty bad exhaust leak.

EDIT: re-checked the timing and it's at about 15° now.

#87,165 ·
E brake Pedal assy bracket?
Not sure eif it's different for later years but the parking brake has two bolts spaced about 4 inches apart through the edge of the firewall and a support going through the dash.
There's no room there for this

Expansion plugs are in, flex plate is on

Motor vehicle Plant Automotive tire Industry Engineering

And transmission is in place
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread

The place it wants to sit is really near the rear edge of the slots
Wood Gas Concrete Font Auto part