What did you do to your YJ today? - Page 3883 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your YJ today?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #58231
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
High compression? Running lean?
The plugs all looked healthy. What might cause the motor to get higher compression?

I want to put a timing light on it and see what that shows me but the timing isn't manually adjustable. What does control the timing and or advance on a tbi 2.5 ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #58232
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
The plugs all looked healthy. What might cause the motor to get higher compression?

I want to put a timing light on it and see what that shows me but the timing isn't manually adjustable. What does control the timing and or advance on a tbi 2.5 ?

The timing is controlled by the engine computer using signals from the crank position sensor, tach, and other shtuff...O2 sensor(?). I think they call it a PCU or ECU.

Maybe the station had a bad batch of gas? It does happen.

In the old days it might have been carbon build up in the combustion chamber causing higher compression, but it wouldn't happen all at once. Plus, todays detergents or additives they put in fuel help keep the combustion chambers clean(er)
cyoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #58233
95YJMountie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Today, i looked at it, wanting to drive it, but being in the process of moving, the jeep got put on the back burner.

On the plus side, i received a couple decals in the mail from renewing my membership. Anybody seen these ones yet?? I haven't.
95YJMountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #58234
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yesterday por15'd the fenders, rockers, tailgate and front bumper... today they got some rustoleum semigloss black. I picked up a shutz gun to spray monstaliner on em once everything cures enough.

Unread 07-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #58235
95YJMountie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post
Yesterday por15'd the fenders, rockers, tailgate and front bumper... today they got some rustoleum semigloss black. I picked up a shutz gun to spray monstaliner on em once everything cures enough.

Why did you por 15 and paint with rustoleum, if your just gonna monstaline over top of it??
95YJMountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #58236
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't like where I put the new motor so I pulled it back out and moved my mounts an inch forward.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #58237
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YJMountie View Post
Why did you por 15 and paint with rustoleum, if your just gonna monstaline over top of it??
Por15 is on the bare metal as a final barrier against corrosion. Rustoleum is painted on the entirety of it.. because por15 isn't UV stable. The monstaliner is only going on the outside and tops of the fenders/armor.
Unread 07-19-2014, 12:16 AM   #58238
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98
The plugs all looked healthy. What might cause the motor to get higher compression? I want to put a timing light on it and see what that shows me but the timing isn't manually adjustable. What does control the timing and or advance on a tbi 2.5 ? Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Check your fuel filter!!!
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 02:23 AM   #58239
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyoos
Rather than glue, I wonder how a piece of bicycle tire innertube would work as kind of a bushing to keep it from wobbling?
Just buy the bushing from Morris 4x4. Like $8. Had to do mine this year.
Unread 07-19-2014, 05:30 AM   #58240
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyoos View Post
The timing is controlled by the engine computer using signals from the crank position sensor, tach, and other shtuff...O2 sensor(?). I think they call it a PCU or ECU.

Maybe the station had a bad batch of gas? It does happen.

In the old days it might have been carbon build up in the combustion chamber causing higher compression, but it wouldn't happen all at once. Plus, todays detergents or additives they put in fuel help keep the combustion chambers clean(er)
Well the cps must be good or it wouldn't run, right? The tach seems to be fine. I took readings from the O2 a couple weeks ago that looked good. Hopefully it's not the computer.

I thought I had picked up a tank of bad gas a week or 2 ago but I filled up at a few different stations since then and it seemed to be getting better. Then when I filled up with premium, the issue went away. Filled up with regular again and immediately spits and spudders almost worse than before

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Check your fuel filter!!!
That was my first guess that maybe a couple weeks ago I did pick up bad gas and it gummed the filter up but it ran so good on premium I was starting to look for another answer.

I'll be heading to the garage soon to change the filter and see if I can figure anything else out

Unread 07-19-2014, 08:23 AM   #58241
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Could barely start it when I went to leave for the garage. Stalled 4 or 5 times, was really hard to get started again and I gave up. Waiting for the tow truck now.

WTF is wrong with this thing

Unread 07-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #58242
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg413i View Post
Just buy the bushing from Morris 4x4. Like $8. Had to do mine this year.
I'm still liking the thought of leaving it in neutral or 4Lo when it's parked and taking it with me as a theft deterrent.
Unread 07-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #58243
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
Well the cps must be good or it wouldn't run, right? The tach seems to be fine. I took readings from the O2 a couple weeks ago that looked good. Hopefully it's not the computer.

I thought I had picked up a tank of bad gas a week or 2 ago but I filled up at a few different stations since then and it seemed to be getting better. Then when I filled up with premium, the issue went away. Filled up with regular again and immediately spits and spudders almost worse than before

That was my first guess that maybe a couple weeks ago I did pick up bad gas and it gummed the filter up but it ran so good on premium I was starting to look for another answer.

I'll be heading to the garage soon to change the filter and see if I can figure anything else out

Yes, it may still run with a bad cps. When mine went out a couple of years ago it started off intermittently. It would run fine, and then all of a sudden it would stumble occassionally. Then it got prgressively worse until it would barely run at all.

And squishy has a great point with the fuel filter too!
Unread 07-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #58244
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyoos View Post
Yes, it may still run with a bad cps. When mine went out a couple of years ago it started off intermittently. It would run fine, and then all of a sudden it would stumble occassionally. Then it got prgressively worse until it would barely run at all.

And squishy has a great point with the fuel filter too!
Alright, thanks. I know I swapped the cps out a year or 2 ago so maybe I can get a new one on warranty.

Unread 07-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #58245
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98
Could barely start it when I went to leave for the garage. Stalled 4 or 5 times, was really hard to get started again and I gave up. Waiting for the tow truck now. WTF is wrong with this thing Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sounds like my 4.2 when the filter was clogged.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.