What did you do to your YJ today? - Page 3638 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your YJ today?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 03-04-2014, 05:02 AM   #54556
SurferJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Finally picked up a 4.0L TB to go with the mustang injectors. Can't wait to install them. Hope it warms up next week!

SurferJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #54557
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Will mid 40's be toasty enough ?
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #54558
calvynandhobbs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

4 degrees at my house this morning, but the weather forecast shows a warming trend toward the end of the week. Maybe I'll even try to get something done.
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #54559
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Has anybody on here put a throttle body on a 4.2L? I know Howell makes a $1300 kit. But I have the exact computer and throttle body just sitting here. ('92 Chevy S-10 4.3L) I wonder if Howell would sell just the adapter plate, or if I could make one.... Hmmmm....
I really, honestly, truly, hate my carburetor for wheeling. It runs great, until I get on a really steep hill. My engine quit so many times at TDS. I'm done with the carb.
We did the 4.0 head swap on my son's Jeep but it was kinda' expensive compared to what an adapter would cost. Plus the Howell kit uses an in line fuel pump instead of swapping the gas tank and fuel lines.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #54560
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Has anybody on here put a throttle body on a 4.2L? I know Howell makes a $1300 kit. But I have the exact computer and throttle body just sitting here. ('92 Chevy S-10 4.3L) I wonder if Howell would sell just the adapter plate, or if I could make one.... Hmmmm....
I really, honestly, truly, hate my carburetor for wheeling. It runs great, until I get on a really steep hill. My engine quit so many times at TDS. I'm done with the carb.
We did the 4.0 head swap on my son's Jeep but it was kinda' expensive compared to what an adapter would cost. Plus the Howell kit uses an in line fuel pump instead of swapping the gas tank and fuel lines.
My 2000 xj with 4.0 would cut out on steep hills but my yj doesnt. I wonder why. I love my yj much more though and thats part of the reason why.
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #54561
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead
Has anybody on here put a throttle body on a 4.2L? I know Howell makes a $1300 kit. But I have the exact computer and throttle body just sitting here. ('92 Chevy S-10 4.3L) I wonder if Howell would sell just the adapter plate, or if I could make one.... Hmmmm.... I really, honestly, truly, hate my carburetor for wheeling. It runs great, until I get on a really steep hill. My engine quit so many times at TDS. I'm done with the carb. We did the 4.0 head swap on my son's Jeep but it was kinda' expensive compared to what an adapter would cost. Plus the Howell kit uses an in line fuel pump instead of swapping the gas tank and fuel lines.
Several people have. The whole deal behind the $1300 price tag is that it is legal. Installing that throttle body and ECM isn't exactly correct here in California. You could probably buy the throttle body adapter but their ECM has a Cali prom in it to make it legal.

FWIW I have the Howell kit and I'm very happy with the change. Haven't had many problems with it. *knocks on wood*. But it was already installed on the motor when I put it in my Jeep so I can't help with the install.
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #54562
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

These the motor mount lift brackets I want? Want to order today to get all my lift components here on time for the weekend.

http://browndogindustries.com/AU2569...ts-Rubber.aspx
Colorado Jeep Club Member #286
89 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 33x10.5 BFG's on 15x8

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Sagerist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #54563
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar9 View Post
My 2000 xj with 4.0 would cut out on steep hills but my yj doesnt. I wonder why. I love my yj much more though and thats part of the reason why.
What year is your YJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Several people have. The whole deal behind the $1300 price tag is that it is legal. Installing that throttle body and ECM isn't exactly correct here in California. You could probably buy the throttle body adapter but their ECM has a Cali prom in it to make it legal.

FWIW I have the Howell kit and I'm very happy with the change. Haven't had many problems with it. *knocks on wood*. But it was already installed on the motor when I put it in my Jeep so I can't help with the install.
The Cali law makes no sense. If I pull the ECM and TB from a Cali legal vehicle, it should be the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerist View Post
These the motor mount lift brackets I want? Want to order today to get all my lift components here on time for the weekend.

http://browndogindustries.com/AU2569...ts-Rubber.aspx
Call Tim at BD direct. His number is on his web site. He will ship it today and you will have it ASAP. Saves the PayPal charges too. He has discounts also.
Rally great guy.
RJC#512
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #54564
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well yeah, it should be. But it's not unfortunately. Was just giving you the heads up.
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #54565
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well yeah, it should be. But it's not unfortunately. Was just giving you the heads up.

Yeah I know. Howell gives you a CA Smog sticker with their kit. But for $1300 I can swap out the entire drive train for a much better engine and trans, like the S-10 Blazer I have with the 700R4, NP241, and 4.3L V6. Painless wiring harness, and little welding, a little grease under my nails, and I would be 10 times better off.
I may just do that and not look back. Not much smog stuff on the '92 to move over.
RJC#512
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #54566
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I like that idea Rik.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #54567
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead
Yeah I know. Howell gives you a CA Smog sticker with their kit. But for $1300 I can swap out the entire drive train for a much better engine and trans, like the S-10 Blazer I have with the 700R4, NP241, and 4.3L V6. Painless wiring harness, and little welding, a little grease under my nails, and I would be 10 times better off. I may just do that and not look back. Not much smog stuff on the '92 to move over.
As long as the motor in the truck is sound, I'd probably go that route. Or sell the truck and use the money for a Howell kit. Or build a stroker and install it. There are a lot of options. I went with the Howell option because it's what I had sitting there and I'm happy with it for the most part.

When the Jeep is no longer the DD I want to put a stroker in. I feel like I'll be happy with the power and the weight stays the same without worrying about the trans and adapters and whatnot. That and I just don't think I'd want a v8
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #54568
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just don't think I'd want a v8
Said nobody EVER!

Before my V8 fell in my lap i was really looking at doing the GM 4.3 swap. More power and lighter than the 4.0 (but so is a 5.3).

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #54569
Overhead
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dropped off the rig today. Gotta love the smell of custom in the morning
Overhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #54570
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm gunna' buy this and do a drive train swap into my YJ....

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4351772367.html
RJC#512

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.