What did you do to your YJ today? - Page 3393 - JeepForum.com
 4410Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #50881 of 75198 Old 11-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
Ya I read that after I posted. Im at work so sometimes I leave my reply unsent for a few moments. As I was reading it seemed you have the pH scale a little backwards. No worries though! No hurt in a little educational debate
Yeah some times I get things baclward in my old age. I still stand by milk being excellent for neutralizing an acid and being much easier to clean up than baking soda

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #50882 of 75198 Old 11-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillisRad View Post
Just correcting incorrect information. I would hate to see someone use an improper material to clean up a spill. Hell, I am a teacher, it is what I do.
OK so I have a really funny joke here but I wouldn't want to seem like my Cheerios were a little to warm this morning so I will save it. I will go back to my server closet now.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Quote:
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #50883 of 75198 Old 11-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283
Scientific proof please. You also realize that disagreeing with someone or picking on them about round head lights doesn't mean your cheerios have been tainted. You will learn this as you grow older.
It's not that you disagreed with him, it is the tone the internet portrayed it in that prompted me make that comment, which was meant to be humorous. I'm old enough to know that everyone has their own opinions, style of jokes and they way they go about doing things. I don't care about any of that. Say what you will, when and how as well. I can make comments on how I see things as can you or billy from down the street.

Edit: you aren't even getting the saying correct. It's not Cheerios(although good on you for being healthy, seriously) it's wheaties!

Adopt your pets. Don't shop for them.

post #50884 of 75198 Old 11-13-2013, 01:56 PM
WillisRad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Yeah some times I get things baclward in my old age. I still stand by milk being excellent for neutralizing an acid and being much easier to clean up than baking soda
Now if you spill it on yourself (battery or any other acid) you would do best to use milk to rinse it off because mixing a strong acid with a strong base can cause an exothermic reaction that will burn your skin. If acid is in your engine bay however you want to neutralize it quickly which is why you use baking soda. Milk can wash the acidic solution around which can cause further damage because it does not neutralize the acid. Baking soda will neutralize, keep it contained and aid in in drying it up. Take it for what its worth (Bio major, Chem minor with extensive training in cleaning up spills). No hard feelings. I will have some square headlights in the next couple of months and we will be in the same club!

Rad
post #50885 of 75198 Old 11-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Target92
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Depends since the chemical reaction of a base reacting to an acid forms water and some kind of salt if I remember my chemistry right.
post #50886 of 75198 Old 11-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
I'm not a smart man but I know that milk is good for neutralizing a dozen chocolate chip cookies. That's all I have to say about that.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #50887 of 75198 Old 11-13-2013, 02:06 PM
WillisRad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target92 View Post
Depends since the chemical reaction of a base reacting to an acid forms water and some kind of salt if I remember my chemistry right.
Right. Chemical reactions between acids in bases form water and a salt. in the case of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) reacting with battery acid (H2SO4) forms carbonic acid but that very quickly breaks down into CO2 and water and Sodium Sulfate which is pretty innert.

H2SO4 + 2NaHCO3 -> Na2SO4 + 2H2O + 2CO2 or something like that.

Edit: and I will now stop being a chemistry nerd. Sorry.

Rad

Last edited by WillisRad; 11-13-2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: I am a nerd
post #50888 of 75198 Old 11-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Two guys walk into a bar. One orders a glass of H2O. The second guy says he wants H2O too. The second guy dies.

Hehehe

Adopt your pets. Don't shop for them.
post #50889 of 75198 Old 11-13-2013, 02:16 PM
WillisRad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Two guys walk into a bar. One orders a glass of H2O. The second guy says he wants H2O too. The second guy dies.

Hehehe
Bahahaha I love that one

Rad
post #50890 of 75198 Old 11-13-2013, 02:17 PM
AZdEvilYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillisRad
Right. Chemical reactions between acids in bases form water and a salt. in the case of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) reacting with battery acid (H2SO4) forms carbonic acid but that very quickly breaks down into CO2 and water and Sodium Sulfate which is pretty innert. H2SO4 + 2NaHCO3 -> Na2SO4 + 2H2O + 2CO2 or something like that. Edit: and I will now stop being a chemistry nerd. Sorry.
I'm kinda a chem nerd too. That stuff just fascinates me. I'm a human nutrition/dietetics major (more or less basically biochem) and workin on a chem minor. One more year til
The very long awaited graduation.

'95 YJ 2.5L
March '15 YJ of the Month!
Exiled Offroad - Arizona

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50891 of 75198 Old 11-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Whoa this thread got all weird on me today. Only in the /f12 I guess haha! Always entertaining

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

June '13 YJOTM
post #50892 of 75198 Old 11-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Whoa this thread got all weird on me today. Only in the /f12 I guess haha! Always entertaining

Cheers
Weird nah just showing /f12 haz brains

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #50893 of 75198 Old 11-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Target92
1994 YJ Wrangler 

But of course you have to be smart to know to go for the square headlights.
post #50894 of 75198 Old 11-13-2013, 05:20 PM
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I'm not a smart man but I know that milk is good for neutralizing a dozen chocolate chip cookies. That's all I have to say about that.
Comment of the day nominee

YJoTM ~April '14 ~June '15 ~April '17

post #50895 of 75198 Old 11-13-2013, 07:19 PM
juicyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillisRad View Post
Actually when you look at a pH scale anything measuring 0-6.9 is acidic, 7 is neutral, and 7.1 to 14 is basic.

Milk is around 6.8 which would make it acidic, it would act as a conjugate base but would be pretty ineffective so baking soda would work much better seeing that it has a pH at around 10-11... Mcguyver is a TV show.

Soda is extremely acidic, measuring around 2-3 on the pH scale.

Also, I haven't updated my info recently because I was forced to sell my TJ. I am buying a YJ soon and am researching all of the mods I want to do before I get on asking questions.

Any other points I can correct you on please?
Um we do have a smart one. Highfive for correction without major insult.

love my jeep

Don't wait on the storm to pass, learn to wheel in the rain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.