First post in this thread in ages because its been running well and just gets used every day to take my unruly hound for his afternoon ride every day. Don't ask - it's a hound thing. But this is worth sharing on several levels....
Short history: 4.2L with Carter carb rebuilt and tuned to the Nutter about two years ago. Last year a little increase in pinging under load so a little timing adjust.
Two days ago starting to get misfire and stumbling after about 30 minutes driving. Yesterday big misfire and stumbling after the same ride. Wasn't sure if I'd make it the last 1/4 mile home.
Found one problem that didn't fit the symptoms. Electric choke sticks where ever it is placed. Not a big factor because its is HOT here and it happened to be stuck open.
On to the spark plugs. Oh boy! The engine uses oil, so I figured (correctly) that they were fouled and due for a change. But wait! The plugs in the motor were some Champions with the tapered seats. And three were loose.
I went and bought some proper Autolites and proceeded to clean the plug pockets of all the spooge that had blown by the threads of the loose plugs before pulling them all. (Spam alert: one of the Harbor Freight air/fluid eductor type spray wands has proven indispensable in cleaning all types of stuff using mineral spririts as solvent).
Gapped and installed the proper plugs and took the hound for a test ride. Back to the smooth running I had before.
Now all that's left is dealing with the sticky choke. And I just happen to have a manual choke cable kit laying around. Plus a Motorcraft 2150. Plus a Weber DGEC 34 with mechanical secondaries. So I gots choices.