Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your YJ today?

6M views 87K replies 5K participants last post by  ninjakid 
#1 ·
Let this thread be an inspiration to all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs. :thumbsup:

I'll start it off, over the holiday weekend, I did an oil and filter change, fixed a couple rattles, did the front brakes (new rotors and pads), and swapped the brake fluid.

#62,821 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Ill probably just go that route rather than buying another used rusty one. And I actually have a couple cans of eastwoods internal frame coating I could shoot it with.

Any recommendation as to where to buy it? So far the cheapest I found a new one was $125 shipped on ebay. And since the insurance company will be installing the new windshield, the only gasket I should have to get is for the cowl right?
$125 sounds pretty good, I got this last one off craigslist (aftermarket new in-box, just never used) for like $75 I think. You cant see it in the photo but I did have to bring the old one with me and the guy re-used the rubber seal, and had to take the old glass as deposition; strange but that's how he wanted it. Yeah, good idea to replace the cowl seal also!!

good time to swap to rivet nuts for the soft-top header if you run one also:
(switches the self tappers to machine threaded screws)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13022_100.htm

#62,822 ·
$125 sounds pretty good, I got this last one off craigslist (aftermarket new in-box, just never used) for like $75 I think. You cant see it in the photo but I did have to bring the old one with me and the guy re-used the rubber seal, and had to take the old glass as deposition; strange but that's how he wanted it. Yeah, good idea to replace the cowl seal also!!

good time to swap to rivet nuts for the soft-top header if you run one also:
(switches the self tappers to machine threaded screws)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13022_100.htm
I don't usually run soft tops but I do switch to my half hardtop when it gets warm out. I was actually looking into doing that on my current one because every year I was having to put larger screws in and a couple of them are just blown out now.

#62,825 ·
Realized my brand new "direct fit cage" is hitting my full doors when I installed them.... Spent forever trying to adjust the doors and after getting pissed I finally noticed that the top of the A pillar is contacting the corner of the door and pushing it out so the door doesnt want to shut without being shut way hard. A small bit of grinding will fix that probably but Im calling poison spyder tomorrow OR maybe going to find a rep when i get to EJS and letting them know how many small issues ive had with this thing.... My big worry is that my hard top and full doors arent going to fit snuggly enough to seal (may be time to get the softtopper). PS had a break at the factory with their CNC laser cut machine so everyones orders were behind so I think they rushed the build but that doesnt mean my product shouldnt still be the highest quality they put out. We will see what they have to say when i talk to them...

EDIT:Think im going to wait till next week and talk to someone in person so i can show them exactly what Im experiencing....

#62,826 ·
Bought new hood-to-grill rubber grommets from Morris 4x4, but that brought up a question about design changes in YJ's.

I didn't realize until I bought them that there were thinner and thicker grommets for the same years.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-body-parts/yj-bodyparts.htm#2b

My YJ was missing all but one, so perhaps YJ's get two thin and two thicker of the round grommets?

I bought four thick ones, but now am questioning that decision.

Funny thing about Morris 4x4 - I showed up mid-day, mid-week today, and there were two Jeepers I knew there as well. You are just about guaranteed to see someone you've met or seen at a Jeep meet there most times.

#62,833 ·
amp713 said:
Realized my brand new "direct fit cage" is hitting my full doors when I installed them.... Spent forever trying to adjust the doors and after getting pissed I finally noticed that the top of the A pillar is contacting the corner of the door and pushing it out so the door doesnt want to shut without being shut way hard. A small bit of grinding will fix that probably but Im calling poison spyder tomorrow OR maybe going to find a rep when i get to EJS and letting them know how many small issues ive had with this thing.... My big worry is that my hard top and full doors arent going to fit snuggly enough to seal (may be time to get the softtopper). PS had a break at the factory with their CNC laser cut machine so everyones orders were behind so I think they rushed the build but that doesnt mean my product shouldnt still be the highest quality they put out. We will see what they have to say when i talk to them... EDIT:Think im going to wait till next week and talk to someone in person so i can show them exactly what Im experiencing....
I've had my softtopper for about a year now, I like mine so far. Really easy to install and take off and everything

#62,835 ·
Changed the oil at a friends shop today. While on the lift we noticed it had a front and rear seal leak. Balls. Not going to be able to change those out after they are done working for the day. Gonna have to bite the bullet and pay for the labor. Hopefully they'll cut me a break because I'll be there doing the work with them when I bring it back in.

Attachments

#62,837 ·
#62,838 ·
I got the 14 bolt torn down tonight, but ended up with the wrong bearing kit somehow. had summit 2 day the right ones. The inside adjusters on it are really neat