Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your YJ today?

6M views 87K replies 5K participants last post by  ninjakid 
#1 ·
Let this thread be an inspiration to all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs. :thumbsup:

I'll start it off, over the holiday weekend, I did an oil and filter change, fixed a couple rattles, did the front brakes (new rotors and pads), and swapped the brake fluid.

#62,262 ·
Just spent two hours going over my Jeep with the insurance adjuster. I had all my receipts from restoring it this summer which she said would help with the value if they total it. She didn't argue with me on any of the mechanical damage I said was caused by the accident. She even crawled underneath and found damage I didn't see :eek: She said the service they use didn't return a instant value so she won't know until tomorrow what the results are. I guess one more day in limbo now :(

#62,263 ·
ODB-XK said:
Just spent two hours going over my Jeep with the insurance adjuster. I had all my receipts from restoring it this summer which she said would help with the value if they total it. She didn't argue with me on any of the mechanical damage I said was caused by the accident. She even crawled underneath and found damage I didn't see :eek: She said the service they use didn't return a instant value so she won't know until tomorrow what the results are. I guess one more day in limbo now :(
Don't want to be the angel of death, but IMO they will total it. Find out what your options are for buying it back from them as a salvage title. Insist that they address this with you before you sign anything as a settlement. If you don't, your jeep will end up on insurance auction and an organ donor.

You should be able to get the settlement for the total loss and simply have them deduct the cost of buying it back from them from that check. I've even had a client ask and get permission to swap out the aftermarket tires an rims on his total loss with the stock tires and rims he had in his garage. At no cost to him. You have power and options here. It's a negotiation. Be tough on them and expect them to give some. Do not take their first offer - it's always the " best case scenario " for THEM.

Of course it's all up to you. You may want to start over with a new jeep.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.

#62,265 ·
Don't want to be the angel of death, but IMO they will total it. Find out what your options are for buying it back from them as a salvage title. Insist that they address this with you before you sign anything as a settlement. If you don't, your jeep will end up on insurance auction and an organ donor.

You should be able to get the settlement for the total loss and simply have them deduct the cost of buying it back from them from that check. I've even had a client ask and get permission to swap out the aftermarket tires an rims on his total loss with the stock tires and rims he had in his garage. At no cost to him. You have power and options here. It's a negotiation. Be tough on them and expect them to give some. Do not take their first offer - it's always the " best case scenario " for THEM.

Of course it's all up to you. You may want to start over with a new jeep.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.
I'm leaning towards keeping it. I was told that if they total it I would have the option to buy it back. I asked here about value, she would search locally for value if it was needed. So hopefully that brings the price up. It all really depends on how much I get and how much buy back costs what I do. I'm sitting here pricing parts out now to get an idea of what I want to do. But every dime I get will go into the YJ if I keep it. :drool: This could get interesting.

#62,267 ·
Installed a new DieHard Platinum battery. Also detailed the interior for the first time in forever. That's not gonna last... :laugh:

#62,268 ·
Lights

I removed the H6054 7x6's and replaced them with BLACK CRYSTAL DIAMOND SEMI SEALED GREEN LED RING HEADLIGHT with H4/9003/HB2 50W 4800LM CREE LED HEADLIGHT CONVERSION KIT High/Low Beam - toyoH4. Not looking for sunlight with these, just around town. The Angel Eyes (green) tied into the parking lights are very bright in daylight can be seen for a good distance. I went with the LED because of the lower amperage pull as compared to the stock 55w/60w H6054. I am leaning to go LED throughout the YJ as time and funds allow. Can't wait til the sun sets to align and set the new light. The clear lens adds a sinister look to the old YJ, looks pretty good up front now.

Attachments

#62,270 ·
The YJ went to work today, I pulled my moms old horse trailer out of the back of our garage. The trailer has been parked back there since my dad put the addition onto the garage, hasnt seen the light of day since 2000. And hasnt seen the street since 1988.
Also got a synthetic winch line from quadratec because i hated the wire. Sorry about the terrible picture. :(

#62,271 ·
andyldavis said:
I removed the H6054 7x6's and replaced them with BLACK CRYSTAL DIAMOND SEMI SEALED GREEN LED RING HEADLIGHT with H4/9003/HB2 50W 4800LM CREE LED HEADLIGHT CONVERSION KIT High/Low Beam - toyoH4. Not looking for sunlight with these, just around town. The Angel Eyes (green) tied into the parking lights are very bright in daylight can be seen for a good distance. I went with the LED because of the lower amperage pull as compared to the stock 55w/60w H6054. I am leaning to go LED throughout the YJ as time and funds allow. Can't wait til the sun sets to align and set the new light. The clear lens adds a sinister look to the old YJ, looks pretty good up front now.
I am glad to see your 5' jack on your hood. I have one as well and have been thinking about putting mine up there. Mine is mounted on my rear bumper and it see's every puddle and mud I go through.

#62,273 ·
View attachment 1920121

5 spyderlocks! Super excited.
Thems sum purdy wheels, what's goin' on um?

So I picked up some Spidertrax 1.25" spacers up off Ebay . Got them installed today and they did the job. Tires don't rub the springs anymore. I have some 6" flares to put on but I am going to wait until we get some warm weather. On the spacer install, cleaned all the mating surfaces and wheel studs with a wire wheel. Used Loctite on all the studs and torqued to 90ft.lbs. I will pull the wheels in a week or two and check the torque on the spacer nuts.
The forum seems to be pretty well split on the pros and cons of the spacers. This is a first for me so I hope they work out well. They provided the clearance I needed to keep the wheels I have. Glad the 1.25" were enough, didn't want to go out any further than I needed to.

#62,278 ·
Yeah I'm planning on it. And don't worry I removed all the bar code stickers :p

Not to shabby for $100 worth of ABS pipe and fittings, some silicone, a few hours, and a 6 pack of beer.
yeah that's $100 worth of ABS. Maui's expensive.

side note: I see you're from Snohomish. I spent a lot of time around there replacing WSDOT'S radio system 2 years ago.
nice area. And my buddy bought his F250 in Snohomish. We lifted it 4" and it's on 37" Goodyear military oz's.

#62,279 ·
Yeah I'm planning on it. And don't worry I removed all the bar code stickers :p

Not to shabby for $100 worth of ABS pipe and fittings, some silicone, a few hours, and a 6 pack of beer.
yeah that's $100 worth of ABS. Maui's expensive.

side note: I see you're from Snohomish. I spent a lot of time around there replacing WSDOT'S radio system 2 years ago.
nice area. And my buddy bought his F250 in Snohomish. We lifted it 4" and it's on 37" Goodyear military oz's.
Oh nice! I really like it here. Its starting to fill up though. Not so much in business, just population.

#62,280 ·
Thems sum purdy wheels, what's goin' on um?

So I picked up some Spidertrax 1.25" spacers up off Ebay . Got them installed today and they did the job. Tires don't rub the springs anymore. I have some 6" flares to put on but I am going to wait until we get some warm weather. On the spacer install, cleaned all the mating surfaces and wheel studs with a wire wheel. Used Loctite on all the studs and torqued to 90ft.lbs. I will pull the wheels in a week or two and check the torque on the spacer nuts.
The forum seems to be pretty well split on the pros and cons of the spacers. This is a first for me so I hope they work out well. They provided the clearance I needed to keep the wheels I have. Glad the 1.25" were enough, didn't want to go out any further than I needed to.
I used hub centric billet aluminum spacers for years on my first XK and wheeled it often. I never had an issue with mine either and sounds like you installed them properly. I made it a habit to recheck the torque on the spacers at every tire rotation which for me was about every 7k miles. About once a year I removed the spacer, then cleaned everything up and re installed them to spec. Maintenance and not over torquing them I think is the key to success.